Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Car ordered

Views : 638

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 14:20   #1
Flanaia1

Default New Car ordered

Hi All

Bit of a newbie but hope you'll forgive that, well after several in the past including a 240 GLT, V70 T5 and V40 T4 I have just ordered another one as my new company car, but this time not a performance one! Due to the company car tax and the discounts for driving eco friendly cars I have just ordered a V50 SE Lux 1.6D DRIVe with all the toys and goodies. I obviously test drove the car and was so impressed I could not wait to get my order in. It amazed me how sharp it was for a 1.6D I expected it to be fairly numb but was presently suprised. I realise these models aren't out until January but has anyone on here go any comments on the current 1.6D, fuel consumption, do's don'ts etc? Any advice appreciated
Flanaia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 15:52   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

No comments I'm afraid but I would appreciate it if you would update this every so often with your views on how this drives. I have the 2.0D S40 but following the hike in diesel I have a slight regret that I didn't look at the 1.6D.
I am lucky in that I change my car every 2 years so I get to look at my next car quite quickly after getting my current one. I really like the S40 but would like to squeeze more MPG out of the car.

My worry about the 1.6D is that it will not have the overtaking power needed due to the weight of the car. On the flat it should be fine but on an incline it may not be up to the job. I drive quite often on the A69 and A1, Northumberland area, and you only get to overtake on certain stretches, 1/2 mile at a time, uphill before it returns to single carriageway. You have to be able to overtake as much as you can as quickly as you can and that is my worry about the 1.6D. I would love to hear first hand experience and hopefully be proved wrong.
Harvey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 22:32   #3
Flanaia1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
No comments I'm afraid but I would appreciate it if you would update this every so often with your views on how this drives. I have the 2.0D S40 but following the hike in diesel I have a slight regret that I didn't look at the 1.6D.
I am lucky in that I change my car every 2 years so I get to look at my next car quite quickly after getting my current one. I really like the S40 but would like to squeeze more MPG out of the car.

My worry about the 1.6D is that it will not have the overtaking power needed due to the weight of the car. On the flat it should be fine but on an incline it may not be up to the job. I drive quite often on the A69 and A1, Northumberland area, and you only get to overtake on certain stretches, 1/2 mile at a time, uphill before it returns to single carriageway. You have to be able to overtake as much as you can as quickly as you can and that is my worry about the 1.6D. I would love to hear first hand experience and hopefully be proved wrong.
Thanks, I wil, post regular updates when I get the car, I know the area you are talking about very well as I have a friend who lives just outside Hexham at Walk and I visit regular on my way to Scotland also spend a lot of time in North east at Lynemouth and up to Alnwick so know the A1 well and I must admit from my test drive I have no fear it will handle these roads and overtake well. I had the car on test for a full weekend and really put it through its paces, I also have a Brabus Mercedes CLK 380 bhp 0 -60 mph in less than 5 secs which is my weekend pride and joy so I know what fast cars feel like, currently driving a subaru Legacy 3.0 as my company car and have no worries the v50 will perform but will keep you all posted, thanks