Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Rear Washer not working.

Views : 6151

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:38   #1
asbo1970
volvo v50

Angry V50 Rear Washer not working.

Can someone help please.
My rear washer head is not working even thought the pump activates.
I cannot really see if there is anything blocked as the hole is so small.
This problem i have has been going for about 4 weeks ,i thought it was down to cold weather but even when its dry and mild it still does not work.
Fluid is not injecting onto the rear screen There is plenty of screen wash mixture as the front headlamps and screen work perfectly.
I have contacted my local volvo dealer about this of which the reply was yes we can sort that out ,but when i asked asked about the work being carried out under warranty as i still have one ,the answer then changed to No as its "wear and tear" .
When i asked about the labour charge involved 1.5 hours worth the price hit me like a brick in the face £170.00.
I am not very happy to say the least with that cost but as my dealer said that is the worst case scenario.
Has anyone else had this problem with dealers ,as I am not very mechanically minded so to work on the vehicle myself to diagnose the problem would be a problem.
Does anyone have any other avenues i can pursue,as of writing this i am waiting for call from a manager from the dealership as i vented my frustration and require a more rectifiable solution.
Any advice on the above would be greatly received.

Regards asbo

Car V50 05 plate 2.0D
asbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:13   #2
MavUK

I have a Jan 05 V50 and do not have this issue... I can't imagine how this is possibly wear and tear...
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:33   #3
asbo1970
volvo v50

Angry

what i cannot understand as I pointed out to the dealer its not like they are brake pads or discs those would be wear and tear .
How many places could you go with your car to have a service or something else and the dealer saying "well you you need your washer units replaced because of wear and tear".
I don't think so

Still waiting for the dealer to contact me .........

regards
asbo
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 14:30   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

I can't see how they can get away with calling that wear and tear. If the dealer sticks to that line I'd call Volvo UK and see what they say, or try another dealer.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 18:07   #5
7050man
Master Member

I've had this happen on mine. Blocked jet was the cause.

I too live in Maidstone and if you are referring to Lipscomb as the local dealer, try Macnaughton Ross at Ticehurst.

Mine was fixed under warrenty.

By the way, it is easy to do yourself. Unclip the rear panal around tailgate and you can get to the jet from inside. The jet itself can't be that expensive to buy, even from Lipscomb.

I have tried to fix mine myself, so I know how easy it is to do.

Last edited by 7050man; Feb 7th, 2009 at 18:10.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7050man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 20:41   #6
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7050man View Post
I've had this happen on mine. Blocked jet was the cause.

I too live in Maidstone and if you are referring to Lipscomb as the local dealer, try Macnaughton Ross at Ticehurst.

Mine was fixed under warrenty.

By the way, it is easy to do yourself. Unclip the rear panal around tailgate and you can get to the jet from inside. The jet itself can't be that expensive to buy, even from Lipscomb.

I have tried to fix mine myself, so I know how easy it is to do.
Be careful if you do this as there was a problem (at least here in Holland) with the jet leaking. I had mine fixed after a week or two of owning the car under warrenty as when it rained I got a wet luggage cover. When I called the garage and said it leaked I was told where the leak was before I could report it. (Not saying don't fix yourself, just be aware )
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 00:06   #7
asbo1970
volvo v50

I have had contact from my dealer Lipscomb who have said that they will not charge for diagnosis but obviously will charge for labour.
I have just about had enough of this dealership to be honest and would strongly recommend seeking elsewhere to anyone else.This is not the first time i have had problems with them.
I am in the process of finding an independent dealer as the car requires a service as well + MOT so will probably tie the lot up .

Regards
asbo1970
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 11:10   #8
asbo1970
volvo v50

I found an independent garage who fixed the problem by replacing the washer head also he done a service and MOT all for the price that the main dealer was charging just to look at the washer head.
It pays to shop around.

Asbo1970
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 12:21   #9
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbo1970 View Post
I found an independent garage who fixed the problem by replacing the washer head also he done a service and MOT all for the price that the main dealer was charging just to look at the washer head.
It pays to shop around.

Asbo1970
Good for you.

Volvo Dealership pricing really can leave Volvo owners feeling aggrieved. Producing a car people like, and keeping customers onside through the dealership network, are all part of the collective Volvo Ownership Experience.

The complacency of car manufactures, as the industry bleeds to death amazes me.