Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

strange ticking noise on my s40 t4

Views : 981

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2009, 02:22   #1
milgo

Default strange ticking noise on my s40 t4

Hey guys,

I've just changed my cambelt and all required pulleys but my t4 is still sounding a bit strange. Runs absolutly fine but there is a nasty sound coming from the drivers side. Got a new engine mount on order as the existing one is quite split, but it doesn't sound like thats the problem.

It's a spiradic tick/click/crack sound, very sharp sound and is metallic sounding really. I assumed before the belt change it was a pulley bearing, but now they are all replaced and it's still there. Although it seems better now there is still something wrong. Any ideas what it might be?

It isn't the aircon doing its thing. Whats getting me is how it isn't at all regular?
milgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 02:46   #2
adamsky01
back for now

do u have vvt ? if so did u change the vvt if u did change the vvt did u change the solinoid at the same time and did u set it corect do a code read u might come up with a p011 code ingtion advnace bank a or 1
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 10:15   #3
milgo

Yep there is VVT on the exhaust cam i think? But i didn't change anything related to that. What are you thinking it might be?

Cheers for the reply.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 14:39   #4
adamsky01
back for now

could be that the vvt is shaged it will tell u on the code reader
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 16:17   #5
whatsupdoc
stumblingthrough

Could be any on eof a number of things. What do you mean by "it isnt at all regular"
Is the noise there all the time or only while driving? does it change with engine speed?
It could be piston to valve contact (serious) - but this would be probably be "regular"
It could also be side play on a camshaft (not serious) - some Suzuki motorcycles used to do this and it is initially quite baffling as it is an "irregular" sound because comes and goes depending on how far towards each end float bearing the camshaft happens to migrate at any time
whatsupdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:28   #6
milgo

Might be worth buying a little code reader for myself anyway. After looking up the problem i unplugged it and the sound did seem to stop.

Whatsupdoc, the sound is there on idle and sometimes is just a click and othertimes a few which sound like someone shaking a tin of nails or something. It sort of comes and goes. Also if you blip the throttle you get a kind of rattle. I'm confident it isnt piston to valve contact as theres no reason why there would be. I had the issue before and after changing the cambelt. I can tell its coming from the top of the engine somewhere, but its hard to locate.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 13:21   #7
adamsky01
back for now

yes ur vvt is shaged m8
u will need to replace the vvt and solinoid abought £300 in parts