Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY-10 XC90 Self-leveling suspension

Views : 4974

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2009, 21:14   #1
AyrshireXC90

Default MY-10 XC90 Self-leveling suspension

To all MY-10 XC90 owners and those soon-to-be!
I have just received a letter from my supplying dealer to inform me that the self-leveling suspension has not been fitted to my MY-10 XC90 (delivered mid June).
I am delighted with my car, but very disappointed that such a major item could have been forgotten.
I just hope there are no other major items omitted at original build, which might not be obvious to the unsuspecting buyer.
I think one can expect more from a premium brand.
AyrshireXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AyrshireXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 21:44   #2
gillberry
VOC Member

This is just a bit worrying considering they are supposed to be a standard item .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 22:07   #3
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Id be asking for either the suspension fitted or a portion of the money back on the price of the car since its in breach of contract as its not "as specified". Think it costs around a grand for it on options list on the xc60
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 07:44   #4
AyrshireXC90

The letter advises me to book the car in at any Volvo dealer to have it retro-fitted free of charge. I will combine it with the car's 3000m/3mo service check up.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 09:54   #5
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I had the same problem a few years ago with an XC70, I had a letter a couple of months after I bought it saying that the self-leveling suspension has not been fitted to my car and my local dealer will retro-fit free of charge.

The dealer told me it was due to a shortage of parts and Volvo weren't sure how long it would be before they were in stock so Volvo fitter standard suspension to all the car over that time period. The dealer also told me it would take them several week to get the parts due to the number of cars effected around the world, all dealers were now having to order them.

So if you want it retro-fitted get them to order the part well in advance.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 13:24   #6
ascender

I got the letter this week as well, not quite sure how something like this can be forgotten about though?
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 14:23   #7
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Probably knew about it but couldnt face an angry customer at hand over so do it by letter then hope youve calmed down by the time youve come in to get it fitted!!!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:00   #8
Finbo

Ayrshire,

I don't know if you had a XC90 before you're MY10 model, but the MY10 is meant to have a new chassis and better dampening to improve the ride and driving quality.

Can you let me know what you think of the drive/ride, etc. My 05 model is very smooth on mototways but can crash about a bit over the lumps and bumps of normal town roads.

I was wondering if the changes had made a significant difference.

Cheers,

Finbo
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 14:51   #9
AyrshireXC90

Finbo,
This is my first XC90. It really does not feel any different to the 3yo car I had my test drive in. I am not absolutely sure my car has the new light weight chassis; the original announcement stated that deliveries of the new model/chassis would start in July, and my car arrived in mid June. I can tell you that it drives nicely and is comfy on our local potholed roads - so maybe it does have the new chassis.
The Following User Says Thank You to AyrshireXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:53   #10
AyrshireXC90

The car has now had the self-leveling rear suspension kit fitted by the dealer in Ayr. Strangely, the car now seems to have a rear wiggle over some bumps (the bigger ones) - I am not sure yet if this is characteristic or due to a fault with the installation.
Unfortunately, the dealer never followed the installation guideline issued by Volvo in 2001, and still valid for MY10 cars; they have cut through the carpet and insulation, rather than folding it back. I know the area is not normally visible (under the 3rd row seat squab), but it smacks of a slapdash job.
They were also meant to have done the 3 month/3k inspection, but have not stamped up the book. As I was able to add a huge amount of water to the screenwash reservoir the following day, I wonder if they actually did anything.
I guess I am heading back to them today, especially to ask about the oily stain on one of the leather seats (calcite), and the gouge in one of the rear door interior trims.
All in all, not a good start to my relationship with my local franchised dealer!