Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Emissions Warning Symbol

Views : 13204

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 13:12   #11
Typolee

I don't think you will have much of a problem to be honest. Mine went out after a good blast and new fuel. Never came back on.
Typolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 00:26   #12
Lojo

In the manual there is a bit that driving short trips at low speeds can cause an alert. It recommends to drive 20 minutes over 38mph

Not sure if that is the same alert you are seeing.
Lojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 11:55   #13
Graham T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obix View Post
No. They said it couldn't possibly need it at such a low mileage (now 190 miles) and seemed to be pointing the finger at the software. We'll see what happens but I'm far from confident that it won't happen again.
I’ve had an XC60 D4 since June 2018, the dealer’s demonstrator vehicle, from 2,000 miles. The amber warning light came on at 11,500 miles. Fixed ‘under warranty’. Google searches revealed that this is a common problem, some cars have had major fixes done, apparently. Catalytic converter? It seems it can be damaged by whatever this fault is. I didn’t ask any questions, thinking it had been properly fixed. So I was surprised to have it reoccur at 18,000 miles. Again, it was fixed ‘under warranty’. Unfortunately other events occurred at the time the car was in the garage, and I was unable to ask for the explanation I wanted. And now, at 19,600 miles, the light has illuminated again...

I’m very concerned that when the warranty runs out, I’ll be paying a bill for these fixes! I gather that there is talk of a group of owners suing Volvo. I’ll probably be joining that group very soon, since the D4 engine clearly isn’t fit for purpose.
Graham T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 13:00   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

If the engine warning light comes on then there will be a stored diagnostic trouble code that can be easily read using appropriate diagnostic equipment that will point to the actual problem.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 20:04   #15
warwick

Mine came on at just over 6000` and was rectified by a software update (so I was told)
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to warwick For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 20:23   #16
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
Mine came on at just over 6000` and was rectified by a software update (so I was told)

just like mine. it only appeared once... i remember it was some days after picking up my car at the dealership. I went there they did an update and since then until today, never again i saw that light again.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 15:29   #17
Unintelligent Pro

My car had 1400 miles on it when the light came on. Took it into nearest dealer who could see me within a week, 70 mile round trip who updated the softwear and cleaner “ an exhaust sensor” . Light was extinguished. Next time I used car, light was on again so have had to book it in again.
My questions are, is this a known problem and is it likely to be ongoing and seriously inconvenient, is it safe to drive the car and is there a proper fix. As this car has only recently been purchased I am considering rejecting it if it’s a big issue.
Unintelligent Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 20:28   #18
warwick

I don`t get the impression its a big problem from the posts, mine came on towing a caravan halfway up France and didn't affect performance (a bit disconcerting at first) but hasn't come on since the software update.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 21:49   #19
volvocamper
Master Member

The emissions warning light on my Mar 18 XC90 D5 first came on in Nov 19 at 11k miles. I took it in to the dealer who checked the code and carried out the necessary software update. All was good but light came back on 6 weeks later in early Jan. Back it went and this time the master tech removed the section of exhaust which houses the injector for the ad-blue and brought it in to showroom to show me. It was completely clogged up with crystallised urea where it is injected into the exhaust. He took it outside and pressure washed it out, refitted it, carried out a further update to the software since the first time and is convinced all will be good from now on. I have attached a pic of the inlet for the injector showing the urea build up but it maybe not be overly clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48E26F1B-1DE9-4B00-8E5F-0CE0327977CD.jpg (102.8 KB, 89 views)
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 16:42   #20
Lasher
XC60 MY18

I had something similar with my XC60 when I had only had it a couple of weeks. Turned out to be Ad-blue crystals. Dealer fixed it under warranty.
Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lasher For This Useful Post:

Tags
emissions, xc60