Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb warning light

Views : 995

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 22:15   #1
maprice

Default Bulb warning light

Hello,
My 98 TDi briefly flashes the bulb warning light intermitently for a fraction of a second when the brake peddle is pushed. I am sure it did not used to do this and is becoming annoying. Does anybody know what is causing this to happen.

Thanks

Mark
maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 22:23   #2
adieu
Master Member

Default RE: Bulb warning light

Blown brake light bulb?

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 18:23   #3
imac
Premier Member

>Blown brake light bulb?

Mine comes on occasionally (once today, last time was 3 weeks ago) for a few miles, every time I brake. Then it dissapears for a few weeks - I've checked, and all brake lights are working as they should. I'm thinking possibly a loose/dodgy bulb or connection.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 19:11   #4
burchi

Hi Mark

When I had my 850 T5 (1995), I used to get this problem and it seemed to be like an early warning the bulb was on it's way. As all the bulbs appeared to be working, I just changed both brake light bulbs (very cheap) and the problem never re-appeared. It may also be worth cleaning up the contacts where the bulb sits just to be sure.

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:32   #5
Traduk

I have had this problem on an intermittent basis for three years.

There is a small box located in the rear of the car which operates like a form of Wheatstone bridge and uses both brake light bulbs as part of the circuits. If both bulbs light simultaneously then two reed relays operate simultaneously and no signal is sent to the bulb failure light (in the dash).

If one reed is fractionally slower than the other then the bulb failure light will flash for as long as it takes the slowest one to operate (milliseconds). The cause for one reed being slower than the other can be mis-matched bulbs (it is important that they are reaplaced in pairs from the same manufacturer), one bulb reaching near failure point, high resistance connections, poor battery voltage levels or unlikely but the detector unit itself.

I had my detector unit changed with a known good one and the problems did not change. After a subsequent battery failure it went away for months but returns from time to time. IMO the detector is somewhat over complicated and for all it's cleverness failed to detect a real brake light failure that I had. One of my bulbs went short circuit, blew the fuse and because the detector uses the same supply it failed to illuminate the bulb failure light.

Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 17:01   #6
sholtby
Premier Member

The brakelight bulb holder is making a poor connection with the bulb. Clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper and bend them slightly so they make a better connection.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 19:54   #7
suck-it-and-see

Hi Guys, this has happened to me just recently. Change the brake light switch on the pedal! I had the same symptoms for about 3 months and couldnt figure out why the light flickered when I pressed the brake pedal. My brake lights went altogether a couple of weeks ago and I only found out by looking in a shop window as I was stopped at traffic lights (phew). I got a new switch and hey presto no more flickering light! The old switch was really charred and black when I looked inside! I had tried cleaning the bulb contacts, changing the bulbs and cecking for loose wires to no avail!

Hope this helps,

Jase.