Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 front wiper linkage/mechanism

Views : 2983

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:56   #1
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Default V40 front wiper linkage/mechanism

o/s wiper arm is lifted and is scraping the edge of the bonnet slightly when the lid is lifted (it's not blocking it yet, but it's not far off) and I think it's started squeaking loudly too.

Anyone got a spare before I start scouring eBay and breakers?

Having seen baffler's (?) guide I'll probably be doing it myself on a nice warm dry day. Might have to go to Spain to get one of those...
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 15:55   #2
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

got one from eBay for £20... hope it's OK
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 18:14   #3
RichT4
Sunny Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
got one from eBay for £20... hope it's OK
I've been keeping an eye on them as well, let me know as i'm after one for mine. Just a little unsure whether to buy a second hand one.
RichT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 18:57   #4
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I checked with the seller that it didn't have squeaky bushes before I purchased, and he confirmed not.

SIAMBLUE is breaking a car and offered one to me earlier today (no price mentioned) but I'd literally just bought it, so maybe get in touch with him?

Depends on the labour costs/difficulty of the job of course, but second hand is usually a good shout, the new ones are presumably rather expensive, then again I bet all V40s are now beginning to suffer from squeaks.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 19:14   #5
RichT4
Sunny Days!

Cheers mate, just Pm'd Him
RichT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 14:11   #6
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I had a chat with Geoff @ FRF a few mins ago, he suggested that my raised arm might not be the mechanism, and that the arm might not necessarily be bent (I'm not sure) but they only usually advise bending the arm if it's juddering in one direction (which mine is doing), but that it could just be the way the arm is attached to the linkage, so maybe possible to fix easily. It's given me some ideas to have a quick go at it later, before I get the linkage swapped anyway. If I've got the spare parts handy, it makes my life easier....
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 17:14   #7
Dancake
Premier Member

I bought a second hand linkage and motor from Hudderfield Breakers on ebay for £30 posted to NI. Thought that was a good deal. The bushes are worn out on my existing linkage, but on the second hand linkage they are in very good condition. Should last the remaining life of the vehicle. One thing I did notice though was the existing wiper operation. The blades go up, come down but then go up again ever so slightly so the rubber faces down and is seated correctly. Might be a challenge replicating that motion but I'll give it a go lol.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 17:39   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I bought a second hand linkage and motor from Hudderfield Breakers on ebay for £30 posted to NI. Thought that was a good deal. The bushes are worn out on my existing linkage, but on the second hand linkage they are in very good condition. Should last the remaining life of the vehicle. One thing I did notice though was the existing wiper operation. The blades go up, come down but then go up again ever so slightly so the rubber faces down and is seated correctly. Might be a challenge replicating that motion but I'll give it a go lol.
You have installed the linkage arms wrongly on the shaft of the wiper motor. You need to undo the nut connecting the very small arm of the linkage to the motor and put it back at a horizontal position

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 17:44   #9
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
You have installed the linkage arms wrongly on the shaft of the wiper motor. You need to undo the nut connecting the very small arm of the linkage to the motor and put it back at a horizontal position
I haven't installed it yet Alex. The way it is now is how it came from the factory. It's only about 1mm of upwards movement so maybe whoever installed it in the factory did it wrong, but it was probably within tolerance. Will take plenty of pics before doing the job so everything is lined up the way it was.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 17:55   #10
gatos
Premier Member

Ahhh ok. I had trouble first time I tried this, but it all made sense a few minutes later. Take your time and you'll be fine

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote