Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon axle, non over drive please

Views : 1464

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2011, 13:46   #1
pxr5

Default Amazon axle, non over drive please

I've been after a front loading axle, but no joy.
Some one must have a later non over drive jobbie????

Please help! thanks
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 00:06   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi,

was the one I messaged you about not the right ratio?

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 03:29   #3
lukeball

I have been following your posts for some time now. Are you looking for an axle with a higher ratio? What you need is a Spicer 30. This was used on later models (67-69), some with overdrive. The ring and pinion is the same as the Dana 30.

Once you have this axle, just change the ring and pinion to the ratio that you want. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OEM-DANA-3...8#ht_500wt_922

Be more specific. Ask for a Spicer 30 and more people may reply.
1959 Volvo Amazon. Chassis #17048
lukeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 08:55   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I also have the late 131 axle if that is what you want.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 09:06   #5
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeball View Post
I have been following your posts for some time now. Are you looking for an axle with a higher ratio? What you need is a Spicer 30. This was used on later models (67-69), some with overdrive. The ring and pinion is the same as the Dana 30.

Once you have this axle, just change the ring and pinion to the ratio that you want. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OEM-DANA-3...8#ht_500wt_922

Be more specific. Ask for a Spicer 30 and more people may reply.
A spicer isn't front loading, only the early ENV axle is. The axles complete are interchangeable however.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 09:27   #6
pxr5

Classicswede, I have no details about the axle you have.What ratio is it & is it a straight swap?.
i was hopeing to find an axle closer to me, ( Midlands).
Lukeball, yes a higher ratio ( to drop the RPM) is what I'm after.The main thing is finding some thing that's not to difficult to do.
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 19:07   #7
lukeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
A spicer isn't front loading, only the early ENV axle is. The axles complete are interchangeable however.
What is meant by front loading? You say that the axles are interchangeable, does that mean that later spicer 30 can be put inside early ENV? I have the early ENV. My ENV works well, but can a LSD be found for it?
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 19:42   #8
940_Turbo

Quote:
What is meant by front loading? You say that the axles are interchangeable, does that mean that later spicer 30 can be put inside early ENV? I have the early ENV. My ENV works well, but can a LSD be found for it?
Front loading means the diff goes in from the front, unlike the Spicer where the diff is fitted from the back. You can't fit an ENV diff in a Spicer axle or vise versa. However you can replace an ENV axle complete with a Spicer. Be aware however that at some point in 1965/66 the Spicer type 27 was superseded by the type 30. There are two types of rear suspension on a saloon, pressed arm went to tubular arm. You can't mix and match early and late suspension.

I've never seen an LSD for an ENV, but I've never searched for one either. It'll be easier to use a Spicer if you want LSD, the same diff was used on various Jeeps.
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:41   #9
lukeball

pxr5,

Did you find a front loading differential? I was just looking at some old Lotus Elans tonight, and I found out that they use a similar front loading diff. The reason I brought this up, is because you may be able to find different ratios that fit the Volvo ENV (front loading) axle. It looks like an LSD is available as well.

You will still need to find a front loading Volvo diff. After doing some other reading, I found this place that may have different ratios or might be able to work on the ENV axle: http://www.a1gearboxes.co.uk/

Also, would anyone know if the Lotus Elan gearboxes are similar to the M40 gearbox? I found a picture of the gears and when comparing them to Volvo gears, it looked like they could be perfectly swapped.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:05   #10
940_Turbo

I'd have thought an Elan gearbox was Ford sourced, not Volvo. I seem to remember it came out of a 2000E?

Quote:
pxr5,

Did you find a front loading differential? I was just looking at some old Lotus Elans tonight, and I found out that they use a similar front loading diff. The reason I brought this up, is because you may be able to find different ratios that fit the Volvo ENV (front loading) axle. It looks like an LSD is available as well.

You will still need to find a front loading Volvo diff. After doing some other reading, I found this place that may have different ratios or might be able to work on the ENV axle: http://www.a1gearboxes.co.uk/

Also, would anyone know if the Lotus Elan gearboxes are similar to the M40 gearbox? I found a picture of the gears and when comparing them to Volvo gears, it looked like they could be perfectly swapped.