Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

i think i have a faulty geartronic box

Views : 1521

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2013, 19:21   #1
robbie3075

Unhappy i think i have a faulty geartronic box

hello all i am new here and this is my first post so please go easy on me lol.
right i have just bought a volvo xc70 d5 se awd geartronic on a 52 plate
i have not had much to do with auto/geartronic box's. but i think my car has a problem. it goes into all the gears ok but there's clunking when i put into drive from reverse or neutral. it seams ok when cold but gets worse as it get hot.
when driving around its seams ok mybe a little snatchy at times. my friend took it for a run he says its good but i am not convinced.???? any ideas?
is it going to cost or is somthing simple like oil change. please help as i am allready bold i have started on my fingers lol
robbie3075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 20:13   #2
TiredGeek
Master Member

Sounds like your box is on it's way out. ££££££. Sorry

It's the same box as the S60 and V70 so have a look at the various threads on this topic....

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 23:14   #3
Dibble
VOC Member

I have had cars with the auto box which snatched or clunked on occasion but it didn't appear to be fatal and I drove for some time and it never got worse. Try a fluid change - what is the mileage on your car? I am sure you will find a difference after a fluid change.
There are a number of articles on the Forum on this subject. Keep us updated.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 20:18   #4
pgm
Master Member

A full flush/oil change with the correct atf and it must be the correct stuff!
coupled with an adaption reset will hopefully sort it out.

Paul
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 18:08   #5
robbie3075

Smile conversion to manual transmission xc70 03 d5

thanks to all that helped but i think its over for this box. i have just had the box tested at automatic transmissions in barnsley .martin lowe some kind of auto gearbox god i am told by my friends in the trade. the fault is the neutral solenoid that is in the valve body £££. but he says the snaching is a build up of pressure then a sudden release as the worn part moves hence the snaching. the car selects all gears fine runs smooth. but there is ware in the clutch plates so they would need changing £££. then the torque converter would have to been looked at. as this should start to lock solid after a smooth set off and revs
are reached for good fuel consumption. £££. so after about 2 hours thought its time to research the idea of a conversion to manual transmission. i now about the flywheel clutch etc gear selcetor cables clutch pedal. what i would like to know is are the prop shafts/ drive shafts and transfer box from auto and a manual interchangeable ???? any info is welcome thanks people
robbie3075 is offline   Reply With Quote