Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

late 1800 (E) hubs and stub axle on a 1966 Amazon

Views : 773

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 00:53   #1
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Default late 1800 (E) hubs and stub axle on a 1966 Amazon

Hello,

Like a thick sod I bought those late P1800 alloys well aware of the PCD difference.

At the moment I'm investigating ways of fitting them once they're restored. Dai at Classic Swede told me of a rather complicated conversion (axle) that would be involved in order to get everything on.

Apart from hub adaptors (investigating some that an American company are selling), would a late '1800 hub and stub axle slot on? Is caliper \ drum clearance workable etc?

All the P1800s I've seen fitted with these wheels have silver rims with a black main body - are these trims or are they polished up?

Aside from that, does a '66 Amazon have a towing eye before I have to jury rig some way of towing it back to my friend's?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:11   #2
BillKat

Can't the hubs just be re-drilled to the new PCD? Common thing in hot rodding. E.g. the hubs on my Victor were changed from Vauxhall 4-stud and US Ford, to Chevy/Jag 5-stud PCD. Various places can do it, whereabouts are you.
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:46   #3
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

I'm based in Manchester BillKat.

TBH I'm a bit confused as to how redrilling the hub PCD down by 2.5mm can be done without stressing the hub. Physically there wouldn't be the space either, surely, for the new stud holes to locate.

Literally I need to drop from 114.3 / 114.5 mm to 112 mm (thanks for the correct PCD Dai), and without stressing the original hubs which'll be old anyway, the only solutions I can see are a complete axle swap, a possible hub \ stub axle swap, or hub adaptors.

If you can put me on to anyone in the Manchester area who's confident they can redrill some 41 year old hubs without completely wrecking them, I'd be grateful for their details.

Not meaning to sound arrogant or dismissive BillKat, I might just be being thick.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 13:13   #4
BillKat

What would happen in this case I think, is the studs will be re-located, and the original holes plugged with weld. Re age, my Victor has now had over 10 years on re-PCD'd hubs and thousands of miles inc drag strip with a Rover V8. It's rear hubs were at least similar vintage poss even 50s (9" Ford axle).

Folks who do this include Andy Robinson Race Cars, Hauser Racing, Chris Isaacs (robinson-race-cars.co.uk, hauserracing.com, chris-isaacs.com), there'll be others, those are just the ones I know of.

Another possibility depending on the wheel design and if numbers of studs are the same, perhaps the wheels could be slightly "unilugged" i.e. drilled/milled since it's only 2.5mm or so difference. Unilug wheels are common with much bigger slots, e.g. a Ford/Jag/Chevy unilug wheel with a PCD of 4.5" to 4.75". If the design of the wheels allows that (enough meat around the stud holes), and nos of studs is the same, that'd prob be the easiest route.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 14:44   #5
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

...and the Amazon does not have a towing eye but you can easily enough put a rope round the front crossmember. Do not be tempted to tie it round the track rod

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 15:09   #6
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

'Tis okay Pigeon.

My friend adjusted the clutch arms so that the car was briefly driveable (no need to tow it, the clutch was getting replaced and it wasn't going far) - enough to get it to his house.

BillKat, thanks for clarifying but I need a lower cost option than that, and for the car to be off the road for a minimal amount of time. How much would I be looking at for that sort of thing?

I might sell the alloys back on the 'bay.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 15:35   #7
BillKat

Not sure of cost but it's not bad, lots of rodders do it because they want custom wheels which are nearly always on a US PCD. Mine were already done, by Andy Robinson who isn't cheap but has a rock solid reputation. Best give one of those co's a phone call. Milling/drilling the wheels would be cheap & quick if the wheels are suitable.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 18:41   #8
mike gilbert
Master Member

I'd ditch the E wheels idea, especially if cost is an issue. The other option, apart from altering your wheels is to get later axles but its a big job to swap over 1800E/ES axles onto an Amazon or S. Plus you will then need to buy brake calipers etc as the E has discs all round and you can't fit drums on the back axle. Also those wheels look nothing without the rim embelishers you have referred to. These vary between very expensive and not available at all, plus they are flimsy things and scuff/dent very easily. You'll never park near a kerb again. Is it worth the grief?
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 20:13   #9
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Probably not Mike,

They'll be back on the 'bay soon. Anyone here interested? They need a rub down and 4 of the five tyres are legal.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 20:21   #10
amazon69
Premier Member

Will they fit an amazon?

Sorry.
I'll get my coat.