Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice?

Views : 13270

Replies : 248

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2020, 09:54   #241
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's the one i wondered if you meant, it's not very well known about though so was a little surprised. That said i know you've got a lot of knowledge on the slant-four, hence my question.
The Vauxhall slant-4 was probably even more heavily over-engineered than the Volvo Red-block; L.J.K. Setright reckoned they needed 40,000 miles just to be "run-in". Their main weakness was the lazy oil-pump; it was a very good idea to give the engine a minute's running before even thinking about revving it above cold idle speed. The calve clearance adjustment was also neat - a tapered adjuster that you screwed in or out as necessary. As you say, I do know a reasonable amount about them and still rate them highly.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:57   #242
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The Vauxhall slant-4 was probably even more heavily over-engineered than the Volvo Red-block; L.J.K. Setright reckoned they needed 40,000 miles just to be "run-in". Their main weakness was the lazy oil-pump; it was a very good idea to give the engine a minute's running before even thinking about revving it above cold idle speed. The calve clearance adjustment was also neat - a tapered adjuster that you screwed in or out as necessary. As you say, I do know a reasonable amount about them and still rate them highly.
Very true - strangely enough i was thinking about the valve adjusters the other day and trying to remember if the grub screw with the "slope" machined on it was in the bucket tappet at an angle or perpendicular to the sides. Certainly a novel way of adjusting the clearances and did away with the need for shims and all that entails.

As you say, a very good engine!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 07:27   #243
Chris152

Well, we seem to have found the car! 1990 GLT estate, drives well and looks great.
I've put down a deposit but before hitting the final 'buy' button, a couple of questions on work needed, if I may.
First, under Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories) for the last MoT (Feb) it says:
'Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive'.
And it's clear that both front outriggers are rusting significantly toward the outer edges (and no doubt some of the floor pans) and need repair as in this link (I think):
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ront+outrigger
We don't plan to do any welding ourselves so this will have to be farmed out to a garage, and I'd like it done asap rather than waiting for things to get worse.
My question is, how difficult/ expensive do the jobs sound?
Thanks for any thoughts,
Chris

Last edited by Chris152; Aug 9th, 2020 at 10:08.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:15   #244
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
We don't plan to do any welding ourselves so this will have to be farmed out to a garage, and I'd like it done asap rather than waiting for things to get worse.
My question is, how difficult/ expensive do the jobs sound?
Thanks for any thoughts,
Chris
That's one of those "piece of string" questions Chris. It may be a case that simply removing old underseal, wire brushing and then treating with a rust converter then primer, paint and some form of underseal will see it right for several or more years to come.

It could also be a case of cutting out previous repairs then cutting back to good metal, welding in repair pieces and then prime, paint etc.

You can save yourself a lot of money (and potential grief) by stripping out the upholstery, carpets etc from the areas concerned on the inside. No point paying a garage £x/hr to do that when that money would be better spent doing what they're charging for which is welding. You'll also learn a lot about how the car is put together and maybe find other potential rust spots that can be treated before they turn ugly.

I'm glad the right one for you came along, hopefully it will be a long and fruitful ownership!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:22   #245
Chris152

Thanks Dave - from what I've seen of the outriggers the metal needs cutting out and replacing - tbh I'm surprised the MoT didn't have more of an issue with it, but then I don't know what I'm talking about! It cropped up in advisories several years in a row, which isn't good, but presumably wasn't progressing a lot?
And definitely, we'll strip out the carpets and things before getting the job done, as you say.
As for the suspension points, I couldn't even find them as I crawled around underneath, so no idea as to their condition tbh. What I saw looked solid but I was probably looking at the wrong things!
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:59   #246
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave - from what I've seen of the outriggers the metal needs cutting out and replacing - tbh I'm surprised the MoT didn't have more of an issue with it, but then I don't know what I'm talking about! It cropped up in advisories several years in a row, which isn't good, but presumably wasn't progressing a lot?
And definitely, we'll strip out the carpets and things before getting the job done, as you say.
As for the suspension points, I couldn't even find them as I crawled around underneath, so no idea as to their condition tbh. What I saw looked solid but I was probably looking at the wrong things!
If you have a look at this diagram Chris, you can see the springs either side and this is roughly what you'll see if you look from underneath just behind the rear axle.

Using the springs as a reference point, follow them down to the trailing arms - the long arms that go front-back and the axle and springs sit on.

Follow these arms forward and you will find they attach to the underside of the car near the sills but actually on the floorpan. Normally this area is strengthened so should be fairly obvious.

Maybe when you actually have it sat on the driveway you can reverse it onto a pair of ramps and see it better.

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:11   #247
Chris152

These bits I've circled, Dave? (Assuming I've managed to attach the pic!)
I looked at those and they looked fine, but as I say, I've no idea really.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Back-Axle-Torques.gif (95.5 KB, 7 views)
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:20   #248
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
These bits I've circled, Dave? (Assuming I've managed to attach the pic!)
I looked at those and they looked fine, but as I say, I've no idea really.
That's the ones Chris, if i could do the little circle things i would have done but you got it right.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:24   #249
Chris152

Thanks Dave!