Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newer model alloys

Views : 846

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:15   #1
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Question Newer model alloys

I am looking to update my GLE and wanted to change my 15" alloys for somthing that looks a bit more like and alloy wheel than a steel wheeltrim.

Looking on ebay, people selling the Columbus alloy say it will not retro fit before 850. Is this due to the offset of the FWD?

can you recommend any OEM wheels that look good and fit?
current favourites are Hydra 16" and Adhara 15" (could keep old tyres for spares) Adhara was used on 940 Celebration I think so I guess it will fit.

Cheers all
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:28   #2
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

All wheels from 200/700/900 cars should fit. There a few options, you have the rare 17" polaris wheels (or eiker copies), 16" hydra and Galaxies, and then a whole host of 15" wheels.

To use newer volvo alloys, you will need adapters to adjust the offset. These normally sell for about £200 on turbobricks.

Below is a link to pictures and information on turbobricks about all available volvo wheels.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=72501
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:29   #3
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Size matters

Unless I missed something over on turbobricks, the dimensions are not stated.

Several issues: all info E+OE so check before buying!
Number of holes - mostly 5 stud
Pitch circle diameter - all the same on 5 stud volvo wheels I think.
Rim diameter - for 7s and 9s mostly 15"
Rim width - for the standard 195 tyre width probably 6", but I know some 7s are out there.
Offset - for the 7s, 25mm. On some 7s the 20mm offset from the 2 series will fit but for those with ABS they won't and 25mm is a must. Some late 9s are different yet again I think. You need to be sure if you are going to big rim widths not only that the wheels will clear the brakes but also that the tyres will clear the strut and the inner and outer wheelarches on full bump. The FWD ones are completely different offsets usually about 70mm.

There may also be issues on nut taper, and info onthat seems hard to find.

I don't know what the USA spacers are made of at that price, but here in the UK spacers ought to be about £20 to £30. It used to be standard advice that spacers altered wheelbearing loadings and could cause wheelbearing failure, and worse, could cause changes from centrepull steering geometry and so add loadings to steering mechanisms but if you are only using the spacers to get the middle of the contact patch back hwere it ought to be then that SHOULD not cause problems.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:46   #4
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
I don't know what the USA spacers are made of at that price, but here in the UK spacers ought to be about £20 to £30. It used to be standard advice that spacers altered wheelbearing loadings and could cause wheelbearing failure, and worse, could cause changes from centrepull steering geometry and so add loadings to steering mechanisms but if you are only using the spacers to get the middle of the contact patch back hwere it ought to be then that SHOULD not cause problems.
They are not spacers but adapters which are required to Volvo FWD alloys

Below are a picture of the ones that Griz had purchased from the US.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:17   #5
LankyTim
Missing the point

Wheel spacers should, in theory only change the offset of a FWD wheel to RWD. So any loadings should be identical to the loadings of a standard wheel.

Bearing failure and funny handling forces are only an issue when you use the spacers to widen the track of a car which was popular back in the day on Capris and similar.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 13:51   #6
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default FWD volvo alloys to RWD volvo alloys

Those adapters look like they are to enable wheels with a different PCD to be fitted. If they are simply to make the studs longer then it should be a lot cheaper to take the old studs off and fit longer ones. With the right calmp force the studs operate in tension only and not in bending or shear.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 17:38   #7
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default 740 GLE 10 slot alloys?

Thanks for the link to Turbobricks.
Had a nice drool over some of the rims.
Could not find a name the the alooys fitted to my car.

They are 15" slot alloys fitted to 740 GLE and have a large stainless steel cover over the nuts.

any help gratefully received...