Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sudden pinch from brakes during otherwise smooth slowdown

Views : 536

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 14:31   #1
Torshen

Default Sudden pinch from brakes during otherwise smooth slowdown

My XC90 (MY18) is going in for a service this week and I'll be mentioning this issue to the dealer to see if they can work out what it is, but thought I'd ask here first in case anybody else had experienced it and knew what it was or had any pointers.

What happens is that while I'm gradually slowing down or coming to a halt I'll be applying very gentle, smooth pressure to the brakes when suddenly there's a very noticeable point where it feels like the brakes have decided to clamp down much harder than my foot on the pedal and then almost immediately release again back to the 'normal' pressure. It lasts less than half a second and it doesn't happen every single time but maybe about a third of the time. Some days not at all, other days almost every time.

It's so sudden that it almost feels like hitting a bump or pothole but without any up/down motion.

I don't think it's any of the auto safety measures kicking in because I don't get any of the warning signs on the dash/HUD or any info in any of the displays to say they're kicking in, and I've experienced plenty of false positives from the auto collision warnings so I know what they look and feel like, and his isn't doing that at all.

Anybody else had this or know what it might be?
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:22   #2
taylora

Mine feels a bit like that when the stop/start cuts the engine just before you're actually stopped.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:24   #3
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Mine feels a bit like that when the stop/start cuts the engine just before you're actually stopped.
Ah, I have stop/start disabled all the time. Well, that is to say I manually disable it every time I drive. Good suggestion though, thanks.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:04   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Does you Model have the auto-hand brake function that can be set to auto apply the handbrake as you are “stopping” which may appear to be cutting in too soon.
I normally have mine turned off as it makes it hard to park in my garage when I am inching forward to a very precise stopping place.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:15   #5
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Does you Model have the auto-hand brake function that can be set to auto apply the handbrake as you are “stopping” which may appear to be cutting in too soon.
I normally have mine turned off as it makes it hard to park in my garage when I am inching forward to a very precise stopping place.
Yes, I have that function and like it a lot, use it all the time. I guess it’s possible the car is thinking it needs to cut in and then immediately changing its mind perhaps. But i’m Usually doing about 10mph at the point this issue occurs.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 17:31   #6
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Yes, I have that function and like it a lot, use it all the time. I guess it’s possible the car is thinking it needs to cut in and then immediately changing its mind perhaps. But i’m Usually doing about 10mph at the point this issue occurs.
Switch it off for a few days to rule it out.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 17:59   #7
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Are you sure it's the brakes & not the transmission dropping into a lower gear ?
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 18:03   #8
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Are you sure it's the brakes & not the transmission dropping into a lower gear ?
Could be I guess but seems very clunky for an automatic. Shame the dash doesn’t tell you what gear it’s currently in so I could tell.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 19:41   #9
peter312

Does the rev counter show the revs increasing when it happens? As Andy says, it does sound like the transmission is dropping a gear or two as you slow down.

Do you have Eco mode? If you do and it works like my V60, it disables engine breaking and presumably stop this happening.

I hope that helps.
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote