Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rusty 2010 V70!!!!!!!!

Views : 3455

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 16:41   #1
beer guzzler

Default Rusty 2010 V70!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

Has anyone here seen anything like this? 2010 V70 rusting! I have taken it back to the dealer as a warranty claim but they are trying to say its stone chips!! These are all along the leading edge of the roof above the screen. I dont want to think that a volvo not even 3 years old could rust due to stone chips and the fact there is still paint over the bubbles on some make me think its bubbling from underneath! Any thoughts anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snip 1.JPG (15.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg snip 2.JPG (12.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg snip 3.JPG (17.4 KB, 191 views)
beer guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 17:08   #2
coughlanc

My S60 is a 2005 with 200k on the clock. It certainly doesn't have anything like that on it.
coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 17:12   #3
beer guzzler

My last 2 v70s were 10 years old + when i sold them and not a spot on either! I intended keeping this one that long too but i dont reckon it will last that long!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 17:56   #4
rnlisg

Default rust?

that deffo looks like rust,its coming up behind the paint.keep on at them.
good luck
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:05   #5
beer guzzler

Will do, thanks.

Here is an email I just their customer relations:

Hi,
I am a long standing loyal volvo customer. my last 4 cars have been volvos going back 12 years and i have never had a single issue with any of them until this one! I currently own a 2010 V70 edrive with 68k miles on the clock. Back in May this year I discovered rust on the leading edge of the roof above the front window. This was total shock as in all the time I have had volvos I have never ever seen a spot of rust on one of them. this i hate to say imediatly lowered my confidence in the build quality of the entire car and my confidence in the brand. I have since been trying to make a warranty claim for this issue and I dont feel i am getting anywhere! Firstly I was told by the dealer i would be contacted about the issue but had to contact them, then I had to take time off of work to take the car to a recommended body shop for pictures and paint depth measurments. On 28th May I took it to the body shop where I had discussions with the body repair guy and we seemed to be in agreement that this was rust bubbling from below the paint and he was happy there had been no repairs in the area of the rust. I left with him telling me to expect a call from the dealer who should instruct me to book it in and it should be repaired in no time. After 2 weeks i had heard nothing so I started calling the dealer and was repeatedly told no one was available and I would get a call back. I rang every couple of weeks until I eventually became quite insistent and i had a call returned on August the 22nd when I was informed that the case was closed! I was surprised at this as no one had contacted me at all to discuss the claim. The Dealer representative said that this was stone chips and the body shop had told me so and I had agreed. This was not true and had no similarity whatsoever to the conversation I had at the body shop. I have requested the claim be reopened and have today had to take more time off work to return to the body shop for more pictures and depth measurments. This time a different guy took photos and before even looking at the car closely he told me "I dont think youll find this is from Volvo" and spent more time looking for signs of repairs to the rest of the car than the area concerned and tried to tell me that rust blisters still covered with paint are the result of stone chips! I was not born yesterday! I restore classic cars as a hobby and have worked in the automotive industry manafacturing cars for another car brand in Swindon long enough to know a bit about body work to not have the wool pulled over my eyes. As a result of the difficulties I am having with this volvo and the service I am recieving My confidence in the brand, its quality and after sales service have left me feeling that I should sell this volvo and look at other brands.
Regretfully
Me

Lets see if I get a response!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:12   #6
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Has the car ever had a replacement screen fitted?
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:26   #7
beer guzzler

Thats one of the first things I thought and there is no record of it. For the first 2 years of its life it was one of those lease cars that has every single bit of history recorded so I would have guessed there would have been something if it had.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:31   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

This isnt what left the factory , something has been done to this cars paintwork and underlying steel in the past .. maybe a previous owner damaged the roof and got it repainted on the cheap .
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:36   #9
beer guzzler

The paint depth tests were within spec! so paint same as when left factory.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:39   #10
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Is the screen a genuine Volvo part? if its ben replcd by a screen company chances are it wont be marked volvo
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote