Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to short Fuel Pump Relay in V40?

Views : 3852

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 21:08   #11
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Oh I see haha, no I had a load of crud in my tank so I had to remove the sender and go in that way to clean it, I'd completely blocked the gauze filter on the pump housing it was that bad, in that instance I had to drain the tank completely with a submersible pump and then use a rag with a small amount of oil on to wipe the tank clean, but yes the method of using the cars own pump just to drain fuel out is perfectly ok.
Sorry you lost me already! P
what is the sender?
With regards to my original plan of connecting my own tube to the OUTPUT of the pump and draining it that way, does it matter if I spilt some fuel from the pump's OUTPUT when i unplug the original tube? I worry the spilt fuel might have reached the electric connections for the pump?
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 21:34   #12
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The easiest way is to leave things at the tank end alone, and just do the wire bridge thing where the relay goes under the bonnet, the fuel line that goes to the engine bay is just one of those connections where you either squeeze 2 plastic tabs in, or it has a collar on that you have to push backwards, I can't remember which.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 21:44   #13
MuscleFlex

How did you find the fuel tube that goes into the engine?
I think the oil has the same clip into the engine
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 22:06   #14
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I've worked on these a few times so I already knew which hose it was, but it connects to the fuel rail on the right hand side, well, it does on a T4 anyway, it's the blue part that slightly lower than my arrow where it disconnects from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-04-02_22.03.06.jpg (125.8 KB, 17 views)
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 07:03   #15
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleFlex View Post
My friend's scared me by saying it might not be safe to do it... can anyone advise?
What I'm currently planning on doing is accessing the OUTPUT tube from the pump and inserting my own tube to redirect the fuel to my canister.
Some fuel did leak out when I unplugged the original tube from the OUTPUT tube but that was last week.. surely it's all dried now?

Unfortunately I don't know where the fuel tube that goes into the engine is so I have to do this from the pump... or is it best to find the fuel tube that goes into the engine? Can anyone tell me where?
There are two (usually) pipes for fuel to the engine. One sends fuel, one returns it. The return pipe has a little grey cylinder thing on the fuel rail to maintain pressure within the fuel rail. The send pipe doesn't have this. That should help you identify which one you want.

Petrol is dangerous stuff. Of course it's unsafe - if you're an idiot. Observe fire precautions - y'know, no naked flames, no smoking, etc. To be fair, it's unlikely you'll be working by tilley lamp in the 21st century - an LED torch is fine. As for smoking, give it up. I wish I could. After a week it'll be all dried out, yes. Just be careful.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 23:42   #16
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Okay, I've put these on imgur because my server keeps falling over and i just can't be arsed to fix it anymore.

This is the relay you need:

And this is what you need to do:
Hey Canis - I wanted to thank you again for this!
So the eBay tool I ordered arrived on Friday but I was away and got home this afternoon so decided to have a go with the tool - unfortunately the cuts on the tool are not big enough to slot over the ridges on the pump cover... but I still managed to make it work (just about)... but then I realised, after getting the pump cover and lifting the pump up, that my tube is not long enough to reach to the fuel canister I have that's on the ground.. and there was no way gravity was gonna work if I sucked on the tube.. with the canister inside the car as the canister would have been above the fuel tank.

So I finally just went for it and attached my tube straight to the OUTLET tube of the pump and I shorted the pump fuse relay with a short 12awg cable I have in my toolbox.
It worked great and I managed to fill up my wife's Fiat 500 that was actually almost at empty!
Plus I managed to fill up my generator and I have around 7-8L left contained in 2 5l canisters.

The old Volvo is getting picked up tomorrow night. Managed to find a scrapper on Facebook that offered me £180 for the car. I'll be sad to see it go
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:20   #17
canis
Non Fragile

Great, I'm glad it worked out for you. Better than giving it to the scrappers. :-)
canis is offline   Reply With Quote