Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is the largest big brake kit to fit under Titans?

Views : 1431

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2019, 15:08   #1
s1monc

Default What is the largest big brake kit to fit under Titans?

I want to keep my standard 17inch Titan alloy wheels and fit a larger brake kit but the wheels don’t look like they give much clearance. Anyone running an aftermarket kit that will fit under these wheels?

Thanks
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 22:38   #2
byootox
Premier Member

If it's the genuine Titans then depending on how big the calipers are there normally ok.
Between these and Pegasas wheels seem to be the more forgiving ones with extra space for such things.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 07:04   #3
Shinsplintz 101

You’ll get a set of APs 5200s on 330mm discs. That’s about your lot under 17s. Very effective.

https://www.part-box.com/ap-brake-ki...-cp5200-1005r2

Brembo calipers tend to be to fat for the offset iirc.(Big reds?) someone will need to confirm.

Sadly bigger brakes normally = bigger wheels. 18” pegs will accommodate a bigger set up & look very similar to titans at a glance.

Google. It’s your friend. Loads of threads on bbk options for the 850, DIY and off the shelf.

Spend money on good pads. Best pound for pound brake upgrade. Try carbotech, considered by many to be the king kiddie:

http://www.carbotech-europe.com/

Cheers, morgan

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Apr 14th, 2019 at 07:09.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 22:39   #4
s1monc

Thanks for the replies,very helpful.

I’ve used Carbotech XP8 on an M3 before, very good.

I did see conversion parts for sale in the US to allow fitment of Wilwood calipers and 330 S60R discs.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 19:04   #5
XCR
Master Member

Out of interest, would your Titans fit my 1997 V70 T5 ?
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:02   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

All depends on which end of the telescope you're looking:

From the thick end...
For road use - Plod managed fine. You'll never need more than Police spec. brakes. You won't be talented enough, because if you were, you wouldn't be on here, and at the speeds where you'll see a difference, won't keep a licence anyway.

From the thin end...
For race: If you want to go fast, and it was the OP that taught every other F1 driver to press a pedal, then we're talking the wrong car. A rare talent knows this. What is he doing on here?

Talent as this is wasted with such questions.
I for one, lay prostrate at the OP's feet.

Please give hints to the mere mortals here, on how to come even close to such talent, and how to keep a licence using it. I paid £280 last year for insurance, tell us how yours is lower.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 16th, 2019 at 11:08.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 18:46   #7
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
All depends on which end of the telescope you're looking:
Not sure why you bother with posts like these....

some people just like to do things because they can & I see no real reason why they have to justify it to others?
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 15:45   #8
Shinsplintz 101

+1 to the above

Some folk like to take a car on the odd track day - then a sensible BBK that fits under standard wheels is a must. Brake fade ruins a day at the track. And standard brakes & plod pads ain't gonna cut it! I've tried. It was disappointing.

It's not about pretending to be Senna - but the simple warm feeling of upgrading your pride & joy to a better standard of performance. Where's the harm in that?

The bonus is that your car will also stop more quickly under journal driving conditions. How is that an issue?!?

Look forward to answers on a postcard from the land of miserable old barstewards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 14:10   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

We all need to be brought to reality, and that includes me.

All this stuff is fine, however it goes somewhere. Unfortunately its product exists in the form of its stereotype. With a characteristic over-estimation of ability; do the rest of us really want to meet this stereotype or have it come in contact with our loved ones?

Quote:
The bonus is that your car will also stop more quickly under journal driving conditions. How is that an issue?!?
I can guarantee your insurer won't see it this way, and their underwriters will have numbers to prove the point. And see your wallet for it, and does it now.

This is because this car, with the mindset its driver, despite stopping more quickly - will stop far more slowly than ours. And the proof? Our insurance premiums.

So I write this killjoy stuff in the hope that less are killed or injured. Because once upon a time, I too was deluded. I would drive like an idiot.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 18th, 2019 at 14:24.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 20:13   #10
Shinsplintz 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
This is because this car, with the mindset its driver, despite stopping more quickly - will stop far more slowly than ours. And the proof? Our insurance premiums.
One of the most condescending crock of ****e statements I've ever had the misfortune to read.

Age is irrelevant - my modified car will stop more quickly than your standard one. The reason is simple:

I will be driving at exactly the same speed as you, and since my brakes are bigger than yours, reaction times aside, it will stop more quickly.

This forum is aimed at men or women of a certain age. There are very, very few boy racers on here as far as I can tell. Barry boys please step forward & correct me if I'm wrong!

Your assumption that anyone who might modify their car is a lunatic behind the wheel is both incorrect & mildly insulting. You might have been a young twaaat behind the wheel - but dont judge others by your own standards - not all of us feel the road is a race track. That's what racetracks are for.

Some of us just like to bring 20 year old cars into the 21st century. I love 850s, mainly for their looks. But I prefer the driving experience of modern cars. Where's the harm in sympathetic mechanical modifications to get the best of both worlds?

My insurance company couldn't give a ****e. They charge me more per annum for my new Audi A6 daily than they do an 850 running 300bhp with upgraded suspension & brakes.

It's nice that you care for the safety of road users. Just feels a bit misdirected.

Apologies to the OP for going off piste! Go big. Go hard. Go safely.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post: