Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340/360 models NL/UK

Views : 1671

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 01:06   #1
Mhb

Default 340/360 models NL/UK

Dear members.

I have an important question.
In the Netherlands we race with these types of volvos.
The volvo 360 cup.
Something that often happens is the breaking off of the left wheel hub due to the heavy load on the left front leg.
This is because in the left-hand drive cars the counter drive is located in a hole in the wheel hub.
No one uses the kilometer counter anymore because often grease comes out of the hole because it gets hot or the cable breaks.
My question is.
Is there then in the right-driven volvo the counter drive than in the right wheel hub.
And where and from whom should I buy it if that is the case?

It would save a lot of accidents because in 2018, 2 cars were killed by breaking off the hub.
1 car was shot straight through the crash barrier with a lot of speed, so that very little of the car remained intact
The holes are sealed but often remains a weak spot, causing them to break off on the circuit.

Hope you can help me (us).

Regards,

Marc

P.s. my English may be a bit on the bad side, but hope you understand me.
Mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 12:42   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhb View Post
Dear members.

I have an important question.
In the Netherlands we race with these types of volvos.
The volvo 360 cup.
Something that often happens is the breaking off of the left wheel hub due to the heavy load on the left front leg.
This is because in the left-hand drive cars the counter drive is located in a hole in the wheel hub.
No one uses the kilometer counter anymore because often grease comes out of the hole because it gets hot or the cable breaks.
My question is.
Is there then in the right-driven volvo the counter drive than in the right wheel hub.
And where and from whom should I buy it if that is the case?

It would save a lot of accidents because in 2018, 2 cars were killed by breaking off the hub.
1 car was shot straight through the crash barrier with a lot of speed, so that very little of the car remained intact
The holes are sealed but often remains a weak spot, causing them to break off on the circuit.

Hope you can help me (us).

Regards,

Marc

P.s. my English may be a bit on the bad side, but hope you understand me.
No the UK RHD 300 still use the hole in the left hub , they have to because the other side rotates the wrong way … I find it hard to think that 6 mm hole causes breakage , the strength is all taken on the outside of the shaft the centre has very little effect on strength , however maybe all your race tracks are clockwise which puts a larger strain on the left side every time you race ??
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 13:11   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

If you don't use the Speedo cable anymore and you believe it is the cause of the problem then could you weld the hole up?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 13:25   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
If you don't use the Speedo cable anymore and you believe it is the cause of the problem then could you weld the hole up?
the ole goes right through the stub axle so about 3 inches deep .
I wonder if a long very high tensile bolt would go through the hole with a nut on the end ? A lot of tension could be added which might help ...
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 18:21   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

They are already filling the hole to try and put more strength in.

The reason they are failing is due to overheating the brakes weakening the stub axle. It is something you will only see in track racing. To make maters worse a clockwise track (as most are) are putting the most cornering stress on that LHS strut.

The first part of the solution is cooling the brakes and the second part is a stronger stub axle with bigger bearings.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 19:09   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

This makes me a little nervous about my 343 - the brakes get extremely hot on track!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote