Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The price of new cars.

Views : 2378

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2018, 20:04   #11
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
They're popular for 3 reasons.

1: People are materialistic - Like to have the latest and greatest and care what people think about them.

2: Cars are getting more expensive and people began to stop buying new about 10 years ago, hence scrappage schemes/the birth of PCP plans.

3: It's very easy to do PCP now. I could walk into pretty much any garage, wack a deposit down and drive off/spec whatever I want.

Back in the good old days you were considered pretty daft taking out a big bank loan to use on just a car, these days though, finance is just the norm, I read on an RAC (or something similar) article that 75% of all cars on the road are on finance now.

There are people I work with who are younger than me, earn far less than me, yet all drive nicer cars than me and I'm only 28! One guy I work with pays over £450 a month to drive an RS4 and he put down a hefty deposit too.

The only benefit I see to PCP is the dealer taking care of any issues, but any second hand car would have to go pretty horrifically wrong to be close to costing what someone on PCP is paying over the 3-4 years.
Also young people realise that they're not going to be owning property any time soon so they plough their money into owning a nice car on PCP & carry on living with their parents instead. To an extent I can't blame them for that.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 21:58   #12
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Do you not find the tax v.high for all but the smallest diesel vehicles
No, still manageable but I'm a 20% person, I'm not in the 40% bracket. I look closely at the HMRC tables before choosing each car. The tax was a key reason why I'm no longer a Volvo driver. Volvo pricing has gone up and it was becoming an issue. The list price on my Superb is great and the emissions decent, as they have to be now. I've saved by swapping despite the rates going up.

This car is up in two years and I'll review the situation then. I suspect the option then will either be a hybrid or I will buy second hand as suggested. Other options will be taxed too high by then.
Old Aug 17th, 2018, 20:09   #13
BlueRebel

I would never purchase a car on PCP. The terms are against you. Better to save up and buy second-hand every couple of years after the gullible who lease have taken the initial hit in price.
BlueRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRebel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 23:29   #14
DSK
C70 T5

Most people can't afford to 'buy' the cars they drive but, are happy to pay monthly for them, even if they have to cut back elsewhere. As a result, knowing that this is the state of the market, if cars were cheaper some market share would be lost to outright purchases. Higher prices mean the lease/PCP market stays strong, forcing people down that path no matter what.

I have done the lease thing on a 3 cars, 1 Astra GTC, 2x Mercedes E350. At the end of this, the PCP, lease etc thing was not for me, and I personally have no idea why anyone would choose this option, as you're still paying thousands a year for something that is not yours. Largely, I'm unimpressed with the true quality of new cars where the gadgets and tech hide the true cheapness of the build on most new cars. I'd happily spend £10-20K on a proper classic like Mercedes 190 Cosworth, BMW E34 M5 but, nothing modern that's for sure!

Its quite funny to see the large number of people with new cars, either their own or on lease/pcp etc that cannot afford tyres and are always begging far in advance if we can save them a pair or two of good quality part worns.

The used market has also shot up quite drastically over the past few years where people are asking daft money for some mundane old used cars. Interestingly even AutoTrader and dealers are by default showing monthly payment prices and seeing some modern used stuff, lets say a 3 series BMW for example, a couple of years old is more expensive on monthly payment examples compared to a new one....

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 07:59   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Most people can't afford to 'buy' the cars they drive but, are happy to pay monthly for them, even if they have to cut back elsewhere. As a result, knowing that this is the state of the market, if cars were cheaper some market share would be lost to outright purchases. Higher prices mean the lease/PCP market stays strong, forcing people down that path no matter what.

I have done the lease thing on a 3 cars, 1 Astra GTC, 2x Mercedes E350. At the end of this, the PCP, lease etc thing was not for me, and I personally have no idea why anyone would choose this option, as you're still paying thousands a year for something that is not yours. Largely, I'm unimpressed with the true quality of new cars where the gadgets and tech hide the true cheapness of the build on most new cars. I'd happily spend £10-20K on a proper classic like Mercedes 190 Cosworth, BMW E34 M5 but, nothing modern that's for sure!

Its quite funny to see the large number of people with new cars, either their own or on lease/pcp etc that cannot afford tyres and are always begging far in advance if we can save them a pair or two of good quality part worns.

The used market has also shot up quite drastically over the past few years where people are asking daft money for some mundane old used cars. Interestingly even AutoTrader and dealers are by default showing monthly payment prices and seeing some modern used stuff, lets say a 3 series BMW for example, a couple of years old is more you actually sexpensive on monthly payment examples compared to a new one....
What’s always amazed me over the last 10 to 15 years is that if you actually save up and buy a car, especially from a dealer then you receive a warrenty and with some basic maintenance you can get to the point where a year or 2 down the line you know the car is a good one and you simply hang on to it for 2 years with nil depreciation (or virtually nil), good reliability etc and during god time you save for the next. If the car is rubbish then you simply move it on.

A lease car on the other hand is bought at the most expensive stage and you are constantly paying for a shiny new pin and have to chop it in just when it is at its most reliable!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 12:57   #16
Tamworthbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRebel View Post
I would never purchase a car on PCP. The terms are against you. Better to save up and buy second-hand every couple of years after the gullible who lease have taken the initial hit in price.
It does depend on the individual deal and how desperate they are to make that months sales figures. We went into a Fiat dealer to but a second hand 50p for my wife but ended up getting a brand new one for less even before we factor in three years worth of interest on the money sat in the bank. I appreciate that is the exception but always worth having an open mind on these things.
Tamworthbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamworthbay For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 15:59   #17
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRebel View Post
Which is what I did..... A £35k car for £22k with the bits I wanted apart from the colour of the paint and the seat colour scheme. £12k depreciation in 22 months, that’s a serious amount of money in the world of Thong. If it wasn’t for rust on the chassis I wouldn’t have sold my V50 but that’s another story.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 18:19   #18
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post

The used market has also shot up quite drastically over the past few years where people are asking daft money for some mundane old used cars. Interestingly even AutoTrader and dealers are by default showing monthly payment prices and seeing some modern used stuff, lets say a 3 series BMW for example, a couple of years old is more expensive on monthly payment examples compared to a new one....
Enjoyed reading this thread. When I've previously done the maths for leasing a car I've wondered what I'm missing as I make it a very expensive way to 'buy' a car, yet everyone seems to do it. Not for me though. That 'part-worn' tyres comment above is a killer...
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Markos01 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 19:34   #19
Whippy
Premier Member

Do the math, lease over 36 months = £14,400. Assuming payments of £400.00 pm. Depreciation on a £30 odd k new car is at least £14,400. Plus no road tax to pay.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 19:55   #20
The Thong
VOC Member

My cars costing me £269pm over five years but at the end it’s mine to trade or keep, nooooo balloon payment. Ok, the breakdown cost, servicing etc is at my cost but I still have something to show for it at the end. The way diesels are going to depreciate it’s probably not going to be worth much at the end but we’ll see in four years.
I looked at PCP but living on a terraced street where the local use your bumpers as a parking aid and the odd curious door key accidentally makes contact with your paintwork (yes, mines already been keyed) it’s an added cost when the car has to be handed back. I find the mileage limits a bit low too, 8k is unrealistic for us with the amount of touring we do so buying outright is a better option. I was offered an all singing and dancing V60 CC for £300pm on a 24 month contract but given my cars already been keyed and bunted in a car park it would have straight away added another £750 to the cost of the motor. Nah, I’ll stick to buying em outright and taking my chances.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post: