Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

52 plate V70 D5 AUTO box

Views : 523

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:00   #1
silverfoxcc
Ron

Default 52 plate V70 D5 AUTO box

Have had the transmission fluid change but problem still exists

Gearbox has done 218K

First when selecting D from starting up there is a VERY distinct lag (4-5 secs sometimes) between the gear selection and the car actually moving forward. and when it does if feels like the handbrake is stuck ( which it isn't) then there is a slight thump and i can move forward Foot is on the accelerator and it fels like the engine is not being allowed to rev freely, which it does in neutral

OK thats the first prob
Second one is 0-60
The ads say a time of under 10 secs I WISH.. timed at anything between 13-5 sec with the first 1-2 secs doing nothing on full throttle, When you are trying to get onto a roundabout i sem to annoy a lot of drivers because of the glacial take up, in addition to my wife having kittens every time, and it doen't do my health much good as well
It gets a little bit better if i press the gas slowly for a sec to get the revs up and then floor it but timewise not much difference
Enine crawls round to "k rpm then everything seems to be ok

So what is causing these problems

Put up for the Nth time just in case a new poster can help
silverfoxcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:10   #2
oragex
Premier Member

For the transmission it would be good to know if any repairs or software update was done before. That delay is usually a software matter

I,m not sure if the PNP switch could be in cause, not common on these years

May as well take the measure of the fluid level, but need to wait for the summer time
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 13:41   #3
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
May as well take the measure of the fluid level, but need to wait for the summer time
Our winters arn't as cold so we can still check the gearbox oil level at 80c, I did this a few weeks ago. I did a 15min drive to my destination then had to wait another 15mins for the oil to reach 80c.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 17:19   #4
Willow place

Strange , my v70 only had a problem when hot, reverse was quite a delay , if rushed a big thump was heard ! Since using an additional oil cooler my problem has gone . Have you tried Lubegard Red it may ease the problem .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 18:11   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The details of transmission fluid change needed.
1) Did the OP do it himself and see how dirty the old fluid was?
2) Could the trannie's condition be so bad the filter is plugged up?

Since so many of these posts cite "OK when cold but clunky upon warm-up", I gotta conclude the viscosity of the fluid matters.

Two days ago I did a drain and fill on my V70 using Aisin's own T-IV fluid and I swear it smoothed out the occasional clunk. Aisin's T-IV is a conventional.

I have been using Valvoline Maxlife Dex/MercLV, a synthetic, for years and things have gone well. However, things like servo seals wear and the specs of conventional might be better.

From now on I will be using conventional fluid in the "old girl".
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 20:38   #6
silverfoxcc
Ron

The oil was changed by a indie
Noticed this morning
Starting from cold

Engine running put in gear and no movement at all then a slow roll forward followed by a slight thump and them a turgid rate of acceleration
silverfoxcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 23:50   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfoxcc View Post
The oil was changed by a indie
Noticed this morning
Starting from cold

Engine running put in gear and no movement at all then a slow roll forward followed by a slight thump and them a turgid rate of acceleration

I had the same. Was using cheap Valvoline Maxlife fluid - the level was changing a lot with the temperature, way over max in summer, not even smearing the dipstick in winter. I would guess same for you, if fluid level is too low the torque converter will not have enough to move the car. Just a guess. I then replaced with Toyota Type IV and got stable level and no more problems. Of course, you may have a different issue, but check the level with the engine on, car on level, see if you see fluid on the dipstick. I don't recommend adding fluid, maybe flush and use a better brand.