Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 rear caliper replacement proceedure

Views : 736

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 19:16   #1
lixah
Master Member

Default S60 rear caliper replacement proceedure

Hello,

I just wanted to say, if any of these questions seems obvious or stupid, i am a novice and just doing the bits that I can , on my car.

so i recently started to get a scraping noise coming from the rear offside, having taking a look the pads are completely worn down to the metal on the offside, however the nearside still has a decent amount of meat left on it,

I decided to replace all the rear pads and rotors, however when i went to compress the offside caliper i really struggled, i assume (please enlighten me, i dont really know) that this likely means this caliper is due to be replaced?

I was able to compress it using a metal D clamp, but it was quite difficult, so just wanted opinions really, should i replace this caliper?

the second part of my question,. i've researched the job quite a bit, it looks fairly simple to replace, however regarding the bleeding of the brake, i assume i only need to bleed the single caliper, not all 4? and is there anything special i should know about the bleed procedure?

Regards, Matthew
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 19:59   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Yes, in theory that means the piston seal is worn and sticking. While there, if someone is stuck with similar situation and still waiting for the part, the caliper can be brought back to work by pushing out a little (with the pedal) and pressing back the piston several times - this will get the piston to move again easily, but it's only temporarily.

For the caliper, may replace it with used or refurb unit. I'd loosen up the hose at the caliper then remove the bolts for the caliper then start undoing the flex hose directly at the caliper by rotating this later one. Same way when installing the replacement one. Reason for this is the upper end of the hose is very tricky to undo. The hose will be very hard to start, so have someone constantly watching the reservoir with a bottle of DOT 4 Synthetic for European vehicles topping up. Bleed only that caliper, this is how I do it, important part is to depress the brake pedal no more than 2 inch travel, so as not to damage the master cylinder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dM9nbMLyvE

Last edited by oragex; Feb 10th, 2020 at 20:01.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:08   #3
bkulcsar

Default refurbish the caliper

You can simply replace the seal (and the piston if you wish). No need to replace the whole caliper. Second hand ones might be a lottery, new AM ones are expensive. All you need to do is to buy a caliper refurbish kit (it contains the seal and optionally the piston).
The Following User Says Thank You to bkulcsar For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 21:03   #4
oragex
Premier Member

Seal is not difficult indeed, I believe the piston is 60mm dia but not sure if the front or rear one. You have a dust rubber boot that attached to the piston - I think it's simply overlapping on the caliper side but go gently with it. Make sure first the bleeder can be loosen up without breaking or forcing on it. I never over-tighten these back, just a snug. For the piston you can simply press the brakes to push it out
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 15:51   #5
lixah
Master Member

-------

Last edited by lixah; Feb 12th, 2020 at 16:34. Reason: sorted
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 16:37   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

deleted

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 21:37   #7
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Honestly given the vintage of our vehicles I would (and have!) just get one from the local wreckyard and slam it on. It is 90% likely to work just fine and if it doesn't spend the 10-20 quid to get another. They are easy enough to test and you could probably even test it in the yard before checking out!

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 20:02   #8
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Honestly given the vintage of our vehicles I would (and have!) just get one from the local wreckyard and slam it on. It is 90% likely to work just fine and if it doesn't spend the 10-20 quid to get another. They are easy enough to test and you could probably even test it in the yard before checking out!
so, bit of an update. I originally hoped/planned to do just that, i found a decent looking caliper for 17£ delivered.

however upon arrived I think i was perhaps a little too eager, i over tightened the hose, and stripped the threads

so, as i didn't want to take any chances with something as important as brakes, and given that the parts turned out to be much cheaper than I had planned, I replaced with all new parts, the caliper i found cheap from a brake refurbishing company on ebay "new old stock" for 21£ delivered.

the brake hose was a little more difficult to source locally, but i managed to get one for about £10.

getting the original hose undone from the line was a bit tricky, but a couple of days soaking with WD40, and a flare spanner. it was undone.

the threads on here a big help, reading people's experiences and advice

so all new parts on today, bled the caliper, and seems all good. i will keep monitoring my brake fluid level, to ensure i have not created a leak somewhere, but im pretty happy for now

stripped threads on original parts