Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whistle noise while accelerating

Views : 2586

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 18:48   #1
Medeng

Default Whistle noise while accelerating

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Volvo s60 with 2.4D heart. The problem is that when I accelerate 1.5k and more (especially on cold) there is annoying noise like a whistle. So far I checked all pipes which transmits an air and couldn't find any holes. But the only thing I saw is an oil leak, will attach photos and video with sound. The last one photo is from above the engine with visible oily pipe going to the intercooler. I tightened it as much as I could.

Video: https://vimeo.com/391286490

As you can see, an oil leak is in the area between two orange seals. Could it be the reason for this sound?

P.S I don't believe, that turbo is dying. In the summer checked on computer how it's boosting and it was absolutely normal. No smoke at all(with DPF). Car doesn't require extra oil and it doesn't have lags and etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak.jpg (107.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg up.jpg (234.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Medeng; Feb 13th, 2020 at 18:53.
Medeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 20:38   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Try a PCV test
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 21:11   #3
stegreg
VOC Member

on the video all I can hear is the turbo "boosting", if it turns in to more of a whistle, check the core of the intercooler, may of split. ive attached a picture of what I found behind my front bumper not long after purchase,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4133.JPG (170.7 KB, 45 views)
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 21:47   #4
Medeng

PCV test you mean with a small balloon or latex glove to the oil filler cap?

I would like to take a look at my intercooler, but I don't know exactly how to take it out from the car. Looks like that IC between cooling and AC radiator, so there must be performed front bumper removal, am I right?
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 23:23   #5
stegreg
VOC Member

theres some good video clips on bumper removal on you tube, to explains it better than words, but its comes off in minutes, you will be surprised, but you could always get someone to rev the engine and listen low down by the front grille, see if you can hear air escaping, plus if you can see any oil smears on the radiators, that's a good tell tale sign too of an intercooler leak.
yes its sandwiched between the water and air con, but easy enough to separate without removing all 3, so you can just ease out the intercooler and swap it. have plenty of gloves to hand if it has gone, it take a long long time to wash diesel oil off your hands afterwards, LOL.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 02:32   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
theres some good video clips on bumper removal on you tube, to explains it better than words, but its comes off in minutes, you will be surprised, but you could always get someone to rev the engine and listen low down by the front grille, see if you can hear air escaping, plus if you can see any oil smears on the radiators, that's a good tell tale sign too of an intercooler leak.
yes its sandwiched between the water and air con, but easy enough to separate without removing all 3, so you can just ease out the intercooler and swap it. have plenty of gloves to hand if it has gone, it take a long long time to wash diesel oil off your hands afterwards, LOL.
How many coolers are there please?
Is it different for a petrol v diesel?
You've mentioned three there, what about in say V70 with the TF-80 box
Theres obviously the water, gearbox oil cooler, there is aircon too so its sounds like theres a cooler for that as well, do i also have a cooler for the turbo or is that totally different to a petrol turbo, so still 3 or?

Sorry to the op for jumping in, just caught my eye with so many coolers lol could be more if i do the retro fit 8 row gearbox cooler
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 21:37   #7
R-P
Master Member

In a diesel (and I supppose in a turbo'd petrol as well) there are 3. Airconditioning, intercooler and radiator.
Both intercooler and airconditioning were broken in my D5 within 10 years. (As is the condensor under the dash, I think Volvo uses cartboard to make these things).

I have another radiator for my automatic gearbox, but I think that is/was optional (mine's an old Plod car) and it is tiny, something like 3x20" or so. You can see it dangling from the bumper on the link below (too big to attach)

https://i.imgur.com/ziZLuTr.jpg

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 04:06   #8
Bashy
Aged Member

So four then, i should have the same, Water, intercooler, aircon and gearbox, to be fair, ive only noticed 1 lol even though i removed the g/box oil return pipe from the cooler the other day, its only that cooler ive noticed but i know for sure theres at least 1 more for the radiator.

There is a reason for my inquisitiveness, i have been advised to get a 8 row cooler, but not sure how much difference that would make if i already have one for the g/box
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 20:22   #9
Medeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Try a PCV test
Did this test and... glove was soaked in to engine. As I understand it's a bad result, right?
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 09:05   #10
Maccmike

No thats good.
Maccmike is offline   Reply With Quote