Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor running 98 V70R

Views : 2625

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2019, 16:44   #21
Bigfella666
Premier Member

And cheers Andrew I will give the crank PS a chageover, not today I am frazzled from working in full sun since 0800 - can't believe the time !

Tempts fugit and all that, I must be enjoying myself without realising. !!!!!!
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 07:49   #22
Redskiies

Was the maf stall with the working maf or the old one?
Sounds weird... But because it overfuels without maf it can still be either loss of fuel pressure or unexpected amount of air related...
Redskiies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 09:24   #23
Bigfella666
Premier Member

With the well known working MAF

So I replace the diz leads and cap and she runs worse than before. She had obviously got used to running on a scored cap and rotor with hardly any metal on the rotor !

How she ran at all I shall never know. Will try and get back on her today, starting with a code read to see if anything else logged
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:02   #24
stuarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Stuart good to hear from you and yes worked good I still have 1 dud I buy 2 or 3 from you ?

P she is an unadulterated manual AWD with prop disconnected of course but intact

Just. Back from test drive following replacement diz rotor and leads

Started her up and she immediately started purring at just under 1000 rpm as she should do. Thought great problem solved, however a mile later did just what she did on the M6 sudden loss of power and then stall.

Would then not start

Dusconnet MAF she started and I crawled home. Nit looked for any DTC as I have roasted my bits off already

Any further suggestions ( apart from charge the battery yet again ) gratefully received !
I think you bought two and i threw another one in that i was unsure about. Sounds like i have a similar car to yours, a 1997 V70r AWD saffron. Now relocated to the west Midlands, give me a shout if you're up this way.
Hope you get the running sorted, i had some odd problems with the old T5r that you saw which turned out to be a ropey camshaft sensor.
stuarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 13:06   #25
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Stu sounds fantastic - are you still on a river ?

Shame I did not know earlier, my latest acquisition packed up at the top of the M6 toll and as the RAC nor their local agents had sufficient on the taco to do London return I ended up being towed to Walsall and taking a skoda Fabia. Saffy arrived on a low loader 24 hours later

I think you are right about the CD players pleased to report all still in working order 2 1/2 years later !
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 16:00   #26
stuarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Stu sounds fantastic - are you still on a river ?

Shame I did not know earlier, my latest acquisition packed up at the top of the M6 toll and as the RAC nor their local agents had sufficient on the taco to do London return I ended up being towed to Walsall and taking a skoda Fabia. Saffy arrived on a low loader 24 hours later

I think you are right about the CD players pleased to report all still in working order 2 1/2 years later !
I'm still on the canal but finally got away from London, that sounds like a nightmare on the M6...and a Skoda!
Recovery is a bit hit and miss around here, i had a blow out on the M1, fitted a space saver and then the trouble really started-within 7 miles it had boiled the rear transmission, complete with smoke and escaping, crackling oil. Didn't get home until nearly three in the morning.
Glad to hear the changers worked out, as i said at the time i'd had them stored for quite some time. Is your new one saffron too?
stuarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 22:09   #27
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Saffy is indeed a Saffron !

Did you find a genuine buyer for your T5R ?

My experience was not dissimilar ; left Liverpool at 1700 got to Forest Gate at 0400 due to sheer money grabbing attitude of RAC - and The cheeky sods have just taken £150 for a years cover - without asking for my approval to a massive hike in premium - we SHall be having a very curt conversation on Tuesday !

Have to say I was very disappointed with the Fabia - the 1.2 version was hot on the list when my boy started to drive a coupleof years ago. Instead I bought a 1.6 Nissan note, more pull, much cheaper insurance and as for road noise it is like an XJ6 compared to the Skoda !

Good to hear you are well and I stand corrected - canal of course !
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 13:21   #28
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Known working MAF installed

Known working crank position sensor installed - not a 10-15 min job

Stalls soon after start with MAF connected

Same DTC as before

Any further suggestions gratefully received
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 18:09   #29
Redskiies

Did you bring your car to the mechanic? Did they figure something out? Visibly thw forum ran out of ideas
Redskiies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 13:53   #30
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Morning Reds

I was until recently an irregular visitor via Catfird on my way to FR Jones and Son Sydenham. Shown themselves to be a proper shoddy outfit with the usual combination of stupidity and arrogance so we have fallen out ! I now get better prices and far superior service elsewhere

Spent approx 18 hours on her over Easter, was going to swap out the Cam position sensor but ran out of time. Rushed to get her to the local Indy first thing Tuesday and they have yet to fit the new alternator so no further forward ! Guvnor is a lovely bloke but disorganised especially when he knows you have other reliable rides !

Middle of this week will hopefully see resolution - will fill you in soonest