Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

water pump

Views : 476

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:05   #1
graham tdi

Default water pump

Hi all,
I am about to replace the water pump on my D5, The timing belt is less than half way through it's life. Does anyone know if Volvo say it can be retensioned after being removed to replace the pump or do they say it has to be replaced?
graham tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:08   #2
gingerbiscuit69

surely if you're taking it off, you may as well replace the lot while at it?
gingerbiscuit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:31   #3
graham tdi

Not if it doesn't need it!, Its only been on there 4 years and 40k and I wont own it by the next time it's due. My question was does anyone know if Volvo say it has to be replaced once removed?
graham tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 21:56   #4
oragex
Premier Member

These tensioners are quite fiddly so set and even more difficult to set again later on (for any reasons). If you don't mind playing with the temp needle, sure no problem adjusting it again. In fact, I did replace a faulty tensioner on my petrol without even removing the belt - I just kept tension on the belt, undo the tensioner bolt, remove it, installed new one under the belt then tighten and adjust the tension. Turn the belt 1-2 times clockwise when finished and check the temp needle stays at the correct place. If you are outside, I recommend to note down the needle position before releasing it, and place the tension back at the same place - cold days the needle will sit more to the left
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 14:22   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham tdi View Post
does anyone know if Volvo say it has to be replaced once removed?
There are suggestions on replacing as a precaution when removed along with the tensioner and idler but I haven't seen anything definitive either way in either Haynes or Vida.

Based on that, I wouldn't offer any specific advice and would say that it's your decision.
At the end of the day, it's your money paying for the precautionary measures or the resulting failure should you not replace and drop unlucky.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 11:42   #6
myfirstv70

Default Is the Water Pump leaking?

If not, then leave alone. Unless you are putting a genuine Volvo one back on then you will probably be fitting something of a lesser quality than you have taken off. I honestly wouldn't replace it just because its done a few miles....if theres no play in the shaft then leave well alone.
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote