Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport- For Sale (LIGHT DAMAGE)

Views : 2747

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:26   #11
Singh_V50 D5 SESPT

Cheers Gazt4, for your reply.

You are right I was thinking the same thing as you when i first got informed by the third parties insurance company that they are writing the car off in fact i spoke the claims assessor/loss adjuster that looked at my car and he actually asked me if i wanted the car back repaired or not.

The repair estimate from the VOLVO garage that was given was more then they valued economical for repair. (which honestly shocked me) so i requested a copy of the estimate for repair which i have got. The thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that the estimate is priced up for every part to be replaced with brand new parts. I.E doors, wings, bumpers, front and rear (because the rear bumper has been pulled away from the wheel arch lining) etc. replacement of all the alloys new, tyres, door mouldings, fittings and so on. The costs for prepping all the panels for painting and obviously not forgetting the labour costs which added up to a significant amount purely because as you probably know if you got to any main dealer for repairs they will charge a great deal more then other garages. The estimate that i have is fairly extensive but it is just for parts to re-placed with new parts not repaired add up to the cost.

The assessor did suspect some light suspension damage but the common thinking of insurance companies is that they will not pay for the investigative work, so the assessor made the decision on a worst case scenario. This was confirmed to me by the assessor and also before hand with the repair garage. But since having the car back i have got this looked into at high priority and the findings have come back in my favour as previously mentioned there is not underlying damage to suspension chasis, sill etc.. The prices that I have obtained from body shop repairers are for repairs and very few new parts as they can be saved.

The car is sound and still drives in a straight line no bumps knocks or funny noises. And as I mentioned if anyone wants to come and look at the car even with a mechanic by all means.

Last edited by Singh_V50 D5 SESPT; Feb 14th, 2012 at 12:44.
Singh_V50 D5 SESPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 13:18   #12
GazT4
Diesel Power

So was the estimate around £7k? Just so i know how far off i was!

Your obviously right in the fact they price everything new, but £7k can go a long way to repairs!

Repair centres have changed recently, they used to rip insurance companies off but now the insurance compnies have clamped down and normally ask for at least 2 quotes. Repair centres are much quieter these days too, so tend to price more fairly, adding to the shock that your repairs can be so much.

Anyway, what kind of money are you needing for it, in its current condition?

I'd personally love to be in the position to own it, but im not.
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 16:46   #13
Singh_V50 D5 SESPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
So was the estimate around £7k? Just so i know how far off i was!

Your obviously right in the fact they price everything new, but £7k can go a long way to repairs!

Repair centres have changed recently, they used to rip insurance companies off but now the insurance compnies have clamped down and normally ask for at least 2 quotes. Repair centres are much quieter these days too, so tend to price more fairly, adding to the shock that your repairs can be so much.

Anyway, what kind of money are you needing for it, in its current condition?

I'd personally love to be in the position to own it, but im not.
Your guess isnt far off the estimate thats all i will say.

to be honest having read through the estimate i think its well over the top repairs wise but im not one to argue with them. Ive been to 5/6 body shop repair garages myself as i mentioned and they all have quoted in the same ball part figure (£1500 - £2500) and all echoed the same advice.

I even had a strange phone call from the third parties salvage company that returned the car to me asking me if i wanted to sell them the car but apparently not for re-sale but for the owner to keep!

im actually considering keeping the car and getting it repaired in afew months time when i have some funds and time available. thats if i dont get pushed into selling it or get a decent offer for it.

coming to the point of how much im after for it, well im open to serious offers and all i can say is that ur repairs estimate of 7k was close,and pre accident book value between 11-10K but im not expecting or looking for anything like that.

The car truely will be a mint vehicle once repaired. (and to all those that have messaged me i am not in the salvage business im a private owner this was my private vehicle the V5 log book is in my name with 1 previous main dealer owner)
Singh_V50 D5 SESPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 23:13   #14
GazT4
Diesel Power

Going on those figures then you'll need about £4k for it?
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote