Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AUX solution (for older models up to 2007)

Views : 13903

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2015, 15:16   #31
Funky Diver
FD

Talking

So I wasn't happy with a singular cable dangling about...

Hitting eBay procured one of these...

Add a bit of Khaki paint that I had mooching about... it looks garish, but I think that was more the light than the colour. It is in fact a near match to my leather seats, so fits in nicely.

And the end result...

And so, I can now plug any device in, as well as charge from the one socket. I split the audio out and ran audio and video to the DVD input for the rear screens, means I can play vids from my Surface Pro 3/ media player / whatever, to keep the kids amused on long journeys. Mint!
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funky Diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2015, 20:09   #32
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Very good Mr Diver.

I wonder if one of these (or similar) could be fitted in one of the switch dummies below the A/C controls? I have the glovebox USB but it's no real use to man nor beast in there.

Also, is that an MD unit I can see? Does it still work?
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2015, 20:15   #33
Funky Diver
FD

The short answer to the switch unit is no... they aren't empty holes behind the blanks, but contact points and part of the climate control unit, hence why I went with the invasive approach to sticking it in.

Little known tip, the switches themselves determine the function of the switch (when pressed they transmit a canbus code to the relevant ECU for that switch), and not the traditional "press switch to close circuit" approach. Meaning they don't have to be in the order they are on the dash if you wanna swap them about

It is indeed an MD player... I've used it once for curiosity, so it works... but the intention is to get rid and stick the coin tray in there. I really should get my backside in order and buy the splice for it and get shot, lol.
Old Jul 19th, 2015, 20:21   #34
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Ah. Maybe a USB extension and dangly wire then. Never mind. I mainly stream via Bluetooth anyway but it was just a thought.

Now I'm thinking about the switches in a different order! It's like rearranging the home screen on your phone.

If you ever chuck the MD unit give me a shout. I love them for the old skool curiosity value more than anything else.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2015, 20:30   #35
Funky Diver
FD

If it helps, the USB part is an usb extension lead, so you could effectively relocate your USB input.

The 3.5 mm is a phono AV port, so if you have DVD in the back with AV in, you could also plug in an AV adapter from a media player to control things from the front, and obviously have access to a much greater library than 1 or 10 discs depending on which version you have.

The wiring is 1.5m long, so quite a bit of scope.

The other location I was considering was front left of the gear stick trim. There's plenty space under there, it'd just mean having a USB cable / audio cable sticking upwards from that point.

Oh, and the two sets of wiring are not joined, so you could have USB going one direction and AV another.
The Following User Says Thank You to Funky Diver For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 13:18   #36
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Or you can just use one of these. Lots of different ones on ebay, plug phone etc into it and tune radio to the sellected frequency and bobs your uncle. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FM-RADIO-...edirect=mobile
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 16:09   #37
Rainking

Smile

so pleased i stumbled on this, going to go one step further by plugging a modified bluetooth modual i made in the jack so hands free phone and music streaming
Rainking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainking For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 05:05   #38
Volvo Ocean Race
Volvo Ocean Race

Default Im back

Hi guys, Im back after long period...

anyway Im glad to see that many people use my solution for Aux.
Only in USA forum Swedespeed they installed over 50 xc90 and yes
this is incredible nice to read. Nice ride and good music relax...

Update:
09.Febr.2019 from Sept. 2014 I made up to 305.000 km
Volvo Ocean Race is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volvo Ocean Race For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 23:08   #39
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

Default AUX IN mod with Pure Highway 600 DAB unit

Having struggled with an unhappy GROM MST4 for 6 months (MOST Software security patch not stable) just done Volvo Ocean Race's mod, very happy with results, no radio cross talk at all, but I only just managed the soldering, even with a magnifying light. phew!

Thought I'd post a pic of the Pure Highway 600 I installed as well. These are heavily reduced at £75 on Amazon. Gets you Bluetooth, hands free calling and decent DAB. Used some black tack to stick it over the useless MD unit. fits nicely. Cables are all just the right length to install receiver, aerial and mic at top of windscreen as shown. reception great in London, yet to test elsewhere. Radio 6 and Test Match Special on the road at last!

Fantastic hack, thanks a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAB head unit and AUX in (2).jpg (324.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DAB receiver (1).jpg (383.2 KB, 35 views)
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 17:01   #40
Tom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Ocean Race View Post
Than you can spot ORANGE cable ATTENTION THIS IS OPTICAL not bend or kink
just push level on connector and firmly pull it out.
The red one is power 12 V just pull it out.

Take care when you pulling out antenna system that you dont touch Air bags
and pull cables of aribags on the left side.

Pull out both modules. TMC and GPS.

This one is SAT antenna module.
Hi, when I was putting back the red cable to the antenna system the cable accidentally touched the Ground and most likely burned a fuse as radio does not work. Anyone could please advise me which fuse I need to check?
Tom1 is offline   Reply With Quote