Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust on 1998 V70 Tdi

Views : 1512

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2019, 12:29   #1
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Default Rust on 1998 V70 Tdi

When I went to examine the rear exhaust hanger on my 1998 V70 Tdi, I noticed a depressing amount of rust on the section to which the exhaust hanger is attached. So far as I can tell by tapping and poking, the underyling metal is still sound...at the moment. The rest of the car is perfectly sound.

Ovbiously it's only going to get worse. I should welcome opinions on what the current thinking is on how best to deal with it.

I was thinking along the lines of wire brushing and grinding out as much rust as possible, applying one of the proprietry rust converters, priming, a topcoat and then an underseal/stonechip protection.

If the metal is too far gone, then it will be a welding job which is beyond my abilities.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your thoughts please?

Many thanks

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 224,000 miles
2008 V70 2.4D Auto 109,000 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7136.jpg (341.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7137.jpg (307.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7138.jpg (365.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7139.jpg (303.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7140.jpg (326.3 KB, 35 views)
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 12:44   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
When I went to examine the rear exhaust hanger on my 1998 V70 Tdi, I noticed a depressing amount of rust on the section to which the exhaust hanger is attached. So far as I can tell by tapping and poking, the underyling metal is still sound...at the moment. The rest of the car is perfectly sound.

Ovbiously it's only going to get worse. I should welcome opinions on what the current thinking is on how best to deal with it.

I was thinking along the lines of wire brushing and grinding out as much rust as possible, applying one of the proprietry rust converters, priming, a topcoat and then an underseal/stonechip protection.

If the metal is too far gone, then it will be a welding job which is beyond my abilities.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your thoughts please?

Many thanks

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto 224,000 miles
2008 V70 2.4D Auto 109,000 miles
If you had said that 10 years ago you could have caught it , but new members need welding in now ... It is a wonder the MOT have not made notes for the last few years ... You would think the heat from the exhaust would keep the area dry but it seems to be the opposite in encouraging rust .. has the car been near the sea or off the road for a number of years ?
Old May 4th, 2019, 13:03   #3
Martin Cox
VOC Member

The car was off the road for about 8 months about 2 years ago whilst I repaired the damage caused by a broken timing belt. Otherwise it's been in continuous use and the car has spent most of its time in and around Hull.

It's never been mentioned on any MoT inspection, all of which have been done by the local main Volvo dealer.
Old May 4th, 2019, 16:42   #4
Alpine

Hull explains it, living near the coast with all that salt.

Mine has started going on this beam but I've treated and painted it

I think you might find that if you chisel the rust off you will hopefully find solid metal below. In which case you will be able to treat it with rust curer and then paint over. I would be surprised if it were rusted through, I expect the metal is pretty thick.
Old May 4th, 2019, 19:59   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I've nothing to lose by trying that approach, apart from some time.
Old May 4th, 2019, 20:35   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I understand that this is just about the only place that this model does rust, Martin. I bought my 'V' reg in August '16. When it went for MOT testing that December, all it required was welding in the same place as yours and adjustment to the hand brake. The rest of the bodywork is very sound after almost 20 years. They wear their age exceptionally well.

Regards, John.