Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed please, Alarm/hazard

Views : 2896

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2016, 15:23   #11
steve0

Cheers Paul, appreciate your help. Is your XC90 the D5 185bhp model as i know 2006 was the year they changed?

Very interesting regarding siren/horn sounding for different things.

Can anyone confirm under what circumstances the horn would sound and the same question for the siren.

I have always assumed i have had an alarm fault but if it is the horns that are sounding maybe i have been wrong and the issue i have is linked to something completely different.
steve0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 15:50   #12
steve0

OK, thanks to some useful replies on this thread and some more investigating i have learned a couple of things and realized that i may have been barking up the wrong tree.

I have concluded that there is actually nothing wrong with my alarm, thanks to Paul's post i have tested the alarm and it seems to be working fine. A completely different sound from an independent siren triggered by movement inside the car or opening a locked door through an open window.

This explains why i have never had any Alarm service message needed on my dash and why removing the siren fuse has never rectified the issue.

As it seems the alarm has never been triggered this also explains why i have never before heard the siren and why i wrongly assumed that the horn sounding was in fact the alarm playing up.

Like Paul has also pointed out the horn does indeed sound when the panic button is pressed.

So my dilemma and question now is - Why does my horn sound and hazards flash randomly for no apparent reason?

Has no one else experienced this as all internet searches just seem to link you to faulty alarm sirens.

Cheers.

Last edited by steve0; Sep 19th, 2016 at 15:53.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 18:26   #13
gmonag
Premier Member

You said that you had ruled out WiFi interference but there are many wireless devices that use the same frequency as the remote fob. I have a wireless doorbell and wireless salt alarm for my water softener. When the softener needs more salt, my doorbell stops working and I can't unlock the car with the fob.

Does the horn always go off at the same location?
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 19:02   #14
steve0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
You said that you had ruled out WiFi interference but there are many wireless devices that use the same frequency as the remote fob. I have a wireless doorbell and wireless salt alarm for my water softener. When the softener needs more salt, my doorbell stops working and I can't unlock the car with the fob.

Does the horn always go off at the same location?
No mate, now you mention it i am only aware of the horn sounding on the front drive. That said if its not on the drive then i would not be aware if the horn was sounding anyway so that's a tough call.

Assuming that wifi is a contributing factor, forum topics i have viewed have suggested the issue with wifi is when gadgets are left in the vehicle. I know this is not the case, hence why i eliminated wifi as a cause.

So my next question is - Can wifi interfere with the key fob itself? I cant see how this is possible but i am happy to be corrected.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 19:03   #15
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
.I have a wireless doorbell and wireless salt alarm for my water softener. When the softener needs more salt, my doorbell stops working and I can't unlock the car with the fob.

Hahahaha that made me smile - First world problems right there !

That would drive me mad
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 19:08   #16
diro

Your horn and hazard lights are controlled by CEM.
Poor battery can kill CEM or do harm to it. If you had undervoltage before that could affect CEM and you have problems with your alarm system. Drivers get messed up in the CEM
Its not sunroof blocked drains what cause CEM water damage as someone mentioned before - its CEM's top wiring inlet rubber cover and lid gasket. You can have best possible sunroof drainage in your car but you will always get water in the drainage pan/tray or whatever you call it. It is under wipers top cover - panel. That panel is attached to the windscreen and covers wipers mechanism and wiring. Once panel is removed you can clearly see water drainage tray. Thats the place where the most of the water gathers under heavy rain or car beeing in car wash facilities. On boths of the sides of the tray there are water drains. These may get blocked by bits of leaves and other rubbish during a time. That blockage can cause a very quick water acumullation in the tray and water may get into CEM terminals if lid gasket and wiing rubber covers are irritated and dont seal properly.
I would suggest you to inspect CEM. Even if terminals OK it still can be faulty. This is one of the most unreliable electronic units in xc90 along with the multimedia system - centre console
The Following User Says Thank You to diro For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 20:54   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
With the car locked and alarm set, pressing the red triangle on the key fob set off the car horn alarm, not the siren!

Not sure if this is of use to you, but it appears that both alarms serve different functions!
The red triangle on the key fob is the PANIC button, and is independent of the car alarm.

All Volvos have the PANIC function, with alarm fitted or not.
Not all Volvos have the alarm fitted.

I have PANIC (horns), but no Alarm (siren)....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 21:01   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Are you sure the problem is not caused by the key fob being in your pocket and the red triangle PANIC button being pressed inadvertently? Due to keys or coins pressing on the button? Has happened to me when walking away from the car....

PS: WiFi interference will reduce the range of the key fob, but will not cause a valid signal to be interpreted by the key receiver in the vehicle.
The key fobs generate a digital rolling code which is extremely secure and extremely unlikely for any interference to generate exactly the same digital code by chance. We're talking chances of many millions to one.

On my car, having my garage door remote transmitting at the same time I try to unlock the car reduces the range of the key fob from many tens of metres to about 5 metres. But the garage door remote never can unlock the car, or trigger the panic function.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 21:02   #19
steve0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The red triangle on the key fob is the PANIC button, and is independent of the car alarm.

All Volvos have the PANIC function, with alarm fitted or not.
Not all Volvos have the alarm fitted.

I have PANIC (horns), but no Alarm (siren)....
That makes sense and explains why there is a need for two different audible sources.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 21:10   #20
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0 View Post
No mate, now you mention it i am only aware of the horn sounding on the front drive. That said if its not on the drive then i would not be aware if the horn was sounding anyway so that's a tough call.

Assuming that wifi is a contributing factor, forum topics i have viewed have suggested the issue with wifi is when gadgets are left in the vehicle. I know this is not the case, hence why i eliminated wifi as a cause.

So my next question is - Can wifi interfere with the key fob itself? I cant see how this is possible but i am happy to be corrected.
Steve, looking at the comments made by others who seem very knowledgeable, I reckon something around your house area is working on the same frequency as your panic button!

We once had a remote control conservatory fan which worked on the same frequency as a neighbour three doors away, took us both weeks to work out why our fans and lights kept randomly switching on and off!!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote