Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Braided hose failure

Views : 1291

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2019, 17:33   #11
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post

Welton - what exactlky u mean "relaxed" position - as for car (i.e. with springs compressed) or as not twisted? from the pic and from looking at the hose before it was taken off, it didnt feel like its tensioned or twisted.
I just meant the hose should fall naturally in place and not be yanked over too tight, twisted or torsioned up (like pushing both ends towards each other while straight). Where the flexi hose begins, after the rigid metal screw part, it should have a reasonable 'relaxed' radius and not pulled through a really sharp bend at that point.

The Front hoses for mine were sent out wrong for the 2004+ V50/S40 model, the threaded nut fell straight through the 'bracket' fixed to the inner wing (where it connects to the hard piping of the car) the manufacturer was brill though and sent replacement hoses the next day without quibble. I do wonder if our cars' platform throws up some anomalies with the cross over into certain Fords/Mazda models.....
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 18:27   #12
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Dom, installed by my mechanic, no doubts installed correctly.
Awaiting for second reply from BD now.

What worries me, after digging deep in research - there may be some issue that most braided hose manufacturers dont take in account. Most of them list 2 versions of hoses: 16' cars and 17' cars.
My research though proven there are 3 variations of front flex hoses used in our cars:
30681723 - for 2WD cars and 15-16' wheels
30681724 - for 320mm calipers or AWD with 16'
30681725 - for AWD with 17'

attaching ATE specs as per OEM numbers if anyone wants to cross-check.

It makes me wonder now if my car as usual stands out and 30681725 part being used ONLY in this and s40 AWD is the case of the whole issue.
Again - checking BD's database there are only 2 available options of hoses fitting "all cars with 16" and "all cars with 17".

I will measure the lenght of the ripped hose and compare to ATE spec, that will tell me something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrong_front_30681723.jpg (22.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg wrong_front_30681724.jpg (22.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png 30681725_front OK.png (70.0 KB, 9 views)
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 00:49   #13
StatusRed
Premier Member

Yikes that's scary! Not had any problems since I self installed my Goodridge ones last year..

Interesting that you've found a different part number for 320mm brakes.. I've got a 320mm set ready to go and assumed the current brakelines will fit, maybe not?..

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak

Last edited by StatusRed; Apr 10th, 2019 at 00:54.
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:09   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

LoB
never seen that failure on braided hoses, and i have had them on All in the last 30years , motorbikes (road and motorcross) as well as cars

I have only ever fitted Goodrige hoses , the "newer brands" i havent tried.

Playing Devils advocate here,
the failed end Might have been "pulled really hard" when in use , which isnt really likely, Abused before fitting with said really hard pull, again really not likely
or the crimp connection at the factory wasnt 100% , caught the End of the hose + the braid Rather than where it Should be on the hose,,

Freakish and Really rare brown trouser moment, no consolation to you After the event even though its a 100000000:1 type failure.

If it were me "union rules" 1 out all out and replace all four hoses, the brakes will need to be bled for 1 may as well do all 4 , personal pref id fit goodrige all round.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 09:15   #15
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Lizard - this is what I was talking about on WhatsApp the other day for the older platform S40

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=245040

HEL were well known to fail on those cars, wonder if black diamond have the same issue on this car.

Either way, I was also looking into fitting braided to mine but regardless of performance I'll be sticking to the Volvo ones for safe measure, isn't even worth the risk on something like brakes.

Hope you get it sorted!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 09:17   #16
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
My research though proven there are 3 variations of front flex hoses used in our cars:
30681723 - for 2WD cars and 15-16' wheels
30681724 - for 320mm calipers or AWD with 16'
30681725 - for AWD with 17'.
Nothing there for cars with 18" wheels? they were standard on mine, Midirs.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:08   #17
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Nothing there for cars with 18" wheels? they were standard on mine, Midirs.
I don't know how wheel size in itself would affect the length of brake hose...

Maybe it's slightly shorter if anything with bigger wheels because it raises the caliper to be closer to the body of the car???

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 15:19   #18
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

StatusRed - Im not sure what 320mm calipers have to do with hoses, as from tech drawing the only difference is total lenght and some mount points. No clue whether its important as per operational force or just for routing.

Dom - didnt find any extra info for 18' cars, just those 3 parts
but that raises interesting question - you could specify wheel size when buying car new, so for example you could have AWD models in 16 or 17 aswell. Those are not determined by VIN number meaning Vida would still provide the same p/n matching your car, I think. And I dont think anyone changes brake hoses in factory if you order different wheel size?....
did you check in Vida what pn your hoses goes for? we can crosscheck with ATE part numbers then, could be interesting.

Andy_D - yes, I am taking any possibility in account and in general I am really not against braided hoses even now. I really miss the feeling of firm pedal and having 2 rubber ones in front now makes a HUGE difference in brake feeling (and nobody will convince me its just "placebo effect"). Immediately after leaving my mech I felt difference - brakes were properly bled (using the same brake fluid I had in system) and works perfectly well, its just the stock squishy feeling makes me less happy than before.
BTW your theory - the other hose taken off the car started to show the same exact symptoms (on closeup u can see wires sticking up) and its highly possible after an x amount of miles it would do exactly the same. 2 rear ones on other hand present no sign of tear&wear and are resting comfortably in more horizontal position without any bents. I dont think the quality of material is the issue (i.e. how it withstanding pressure) but the way firmer hose react to suspension travel.

FM - wow, thats an interesting thread (until it turned into "dont buy Pagid brake fluid " ) thanks. I wonder if parts quality has its play here or difference in design or what...
so far havent come across Goodridge failure info yet... ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d89d9cd4-9573-42c1-bc4b-5ded1c23c5cb.jpg (108.7 KB, 13 views)
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 16:23   #19
iainmd

Suspect what matters is the length of hose compared to the caliper size/type. I suspect the connection point is slightly different for 278mm (sometimes referred to by Volvo as 15") calipers, 300mm (...16") and 320mm (...17").

Volvo's parts database is inaccurate as well. Entering the VIN for my old S40 T5 always offered up 320mm discs and pads when the car was manufactured with 300mm which wasn't very helpful.

I also found when buying HEL braided lines that their part numbers didn't necessarily match anything from Volvo so I got the garage to measure Volvo OEM ones for length then ordered the corresponding length from HEL.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 23:06   #20
andy_d
Premier Member

so Both front hoses show signs of "utho" and "oh crud" at the same point on the braid/hose. But the rears are "ok" ,, sounds as if there could be
a/ front hoses not Quite the right length, OR the angle of the banjos on the end isnt Quite right
b/ "fred the crimper" had a bad day ? missed 2 ends (going on the narrowing of the bore at the point of failure / impending failure)
c/ manuf issue the braid is the correct length, the internal fluid transfer hose is the right length, the Mid layer of protection Is slightly short ,,

PRODUCT CODE: SVV0702-4C-BK Could be the part number for the goodrige hoses

100% with you on the "feel" of brakes with/without braided hoses, With its a "constant" feel without "squishy and mushy" even with perfectly bled calipers. it isnt a placebo at all, being able to use Two fingers on a motorbike front brake and Feel what is happening V "use four and squishy" has been proven to me and many others many times.

Try 6pot calipers on fully floating disks on a 750cc hypersports bike With rubber hoses Then goodrige, goodrige = win (when you peel your eyeballs off the inside of your visor)