Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1967 - P130 restoration in Norway.

Views : 3585

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 21:30   #21
AmazonViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail View Post
Just done all that myself on the rear panel, its a horrid rust trap in there,looks much better with a new rear panel and part of the floor
Tail, did you have to make new floor as well, in addition to the double walled rear section ?

Here is a great guy doing similar work as I most likely have to go through :[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj62FPs4neA [/YOUTUBE]

Guess this might be the area I have to start when the car comes back from media blasting.. :-)

Last edited by AmazonViking; Apr 22nd, 2019 at 22:01. Reason: Trying to get the Youtube video to show in post..
AmazonViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 22:30   #22
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

you can buy new floor pans
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 09:03   #23
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonViking View Post
Tail, did you have to make new floor as well, in addition to the double walled rear section
Hi mate yes I did. The floor behind the strengthening section was rotted out, I was hoping to save the rear panel but in the end it had to be replaced, so much easier to do once the rear panel is off.
A picture below of the crap I cut out. The guy on youtube's video was invaluable, watched it loads of times before I started.
Cheers Tail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181104_124242578.jpg (225.0 KB, 20 views)
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 09:13   #24
AmazonViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
you can buy new floor pans
Thanks ClassicsSw.

I'm aware of this and I need to get most likely all 4 of them. The ideas is to cut out parts of the new panel and weld in on the rotten sections. If the whole section would go or not is something I would judge when the car has been blasted.

The thing is that there is so many different floor panels out there in such a different price range that I have problems choosing which to get...
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 09:19   #25
AmazonViking

Quote:
Hi mate yes I did. The floor behind the strengthening section was rotted out, I was hoping to save the rear panel but in the end it had to be replaced, so much easier to do once the rear panel is off.
A picture below of the crap I cut out. The guy on youtube's video was invaluable, watched it loads of times before I started.
Cheers Tail
Thanks a bunch Tail,

My fuel tank frame is also - luckily - good so I would patch up similar to you. Mine is however more rotten where it spreads out on the side of the tank as well. So in all practical terms, the floor needs to go, the double rear panels need to go - including the external and the internal support panel. The problem I'm facing is what to do first - where do I start.

First idea is to make a new floor section with a "lip" (don't know the propper English name ) which should be attached to the external rear panel so I know the floor would fit.

Then cut out the rear section as the guy on the video to make it fit the new floor.

Then weld in the inner support section where the trunk lid locks...

I'm hoping the curved outer section would be savable after blasting but have my doubts. :-(

I'll shoot some more pics of this section when the blasting has been done.
The Following User Says Thank You to AmazonViking For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:30   #26
Tail
Master Member

Well if you remove the rear panel both parts it did make it easier for me to sort out the floor, it makes it a little more complicated because of the slight radius to make the lip that the new rear panel is welded to but a cut or two in the right place makes it do-able, some pics below of how much easier it will be with the old rear panel removed, the new panel lines up ok, the rear lights fit ok and the boot lid sits nice and centered with the same gap all the way round so i am happy if it keeps the old girl on the road for a few more years.

Tail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear end (Medium).jpg (171.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg rear end 2 (Medium).jpg (144.5 KB, 24 views)
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 19:11   #27
AmazonViking

Quote:
Well if you remove the rear panel both parts it did make it easier for me to sort out the floor, it makes it a little more complicated because of the slight radius to make the lip that the new rear panel is welded to but a cut or two in the right place makes it do-able, some pics below of how much easier it will be with the old rear panel removed, the new panel lines up ok, the rear lights fit ok and the boot lid sits nice and centered with the same gap all the way round so i am happy if it keeps the old girl on the road for a few more years.

Tail
Thx a bunch mate.

I might go the same route then. My biggest fear is to weld the rear sectiion up and not get the lid lined up. Currently at an airport-would get back to you later.

Thanks for the pic’s, would study them thouroughly later :-)

Kent
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 07:34   #28
AmazonViking

Quote:

Tail
Studying your pictures and what you have done I think I haw found the way forward. Saving the outer lip as you have is a great idea and makes alinement with the potential new rear panel much easier then if I cut it all away.

I considered doing the opposite, leaving the rear panel in place to have something to make a new floor panel - with lip - to match the rear.

If that outer ring is savable I would do the same as you :-) I do however think that I have much more rott to take care of so in worst case where the floor is completely gone, I would consider going back to my original plan.

Thx
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 22:53   #29
Tail
Master Member

I had the panels left side of the boot to sort out as well but whoever did the Amazon before me fitted the spare wheel well about half an inch too high because what they did was weld in new steel around the wheel well over the top of the rusty stuff underneath then used loads of filler. It looks ok, never going to win any prizes but its all new steel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181111_153810958 (Medium).jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181111_153817566_HDR (Medium).jpg (75.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_162329 (Medium).jpg (148.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190105_191921 (Medium).jpg (181.8 KB, 57 views)
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 22:32   #30
AmazonViking

Quote:
I had the panels left side of the boot to sort out as well but whoever did the Amazon before me fitted the spare wheel well about half an inch too high because what they did was weld in new steel around the wheel well over the top of the rusty stuff underneath then used loads of filler. It looks ok, never going to win any prizes but its all new steel
You have certainly have your share of work on your car - guess I would be in your shoes in a few days. Hope to save the rear skirts and spare wheel area, but something has for sure been done in this area earlier. Not easy to see with all the black stuff but I guess it would hit me in the fase after blasting...