Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speedometer not working

Views : 944

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 19:44   #1
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Default Speedometer not working

Hi all,

1998 V70 T5 Auto

Car has generally been running fine.

Started the car this morning and the Speedometer is not working.
Service reminder light is flashing once per second.
RPM and coolant temperature indicator are working.
No fault codes (as read by Torque).
No mpg readout.
No ABS warning light is on.

I haven't been able to test the ABS yet because I couldn't find a slippery patch of road and didn't want to cause a pile up. ABS module was replaced (new old stock) about 2 years ago.

I have disconnected the battery and pressed the brake pedal, and reconnected the battery but that didn't make any difference.
I will leave the battery disconnected again overnight and try again in the morning.

Has anyone experienced this and have any ideas, or recommended steps to diagnose?

I have recently done various things, which of course may be related (or not), which I will write up and post here a bit later this evening.

Thanks
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Mar 6th, 2020 at 19:46.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 20:39   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

First thing that comes to mind is front left ABS sensor, as this is where it gets the road speed signal from, but it's odd that there's no ABS warning light on, because if there's no meaningful signal then I'd expect the ABS module to see this as an error. I think you're on the right track in wanting to check the actual operation of the ABS system, that's what I'd do, but as you say it needs to be on a safe but slippery road.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 20:56   #3
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Some more background, which may or may not be relevant.

Yesterday the car ran fine and last night I disconnected the plug to the idle air control valve, and plugged it into (but didn't fit) a used spare that I had, because I wanted to test it (for use on another car).
The used spare iacv seemed to operate correctly, so I removed the old one (which I found to be gummed stuck) and fitted the used spare.
At some point I noticed that the lambda light had come on, but I assumed that had been because at some point I had had the ignition on with no iacv connected.
Disconnecting the battery, and pressing the brake pedal cleared the lambda light.

Then I had the "no speedo" problem this morning. The car starts and runs fine.
No fault codes, but the service reminder light is flashing.

I'll go back out now and check whether Torque can connect to the ECU and see what it lets me monitor.

Also over the last few weeks, I have been using Torque to closely monitor coolant temperature (which led me to replace the thermostat). One problem solved.

And I had also been monitoring the long term fuel trim, and o2 sensor readings, throttle position, and boost, and had noticed that every now and again one or more sensors would flick either to a very low or high value or would indicate "no data".
So I suspected a bad connection somewhere but don't know where to start looking.

If its not too cold tomorrow, I could refit the (cleaned) old iac valve, just to rule the used iacv out.

I will also test whether the ABS kicks in if I lock the wheels.

Some googling points towards the ECU. Anyone any experience of that?

Thanks,
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 21:39   #4
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Well, I disconnected the battery again at about 20:00.

Then at about 21:15 I went out again to see if ABS and Torque works, and now everything works!

Now the speedo works fine, no flashing Service reminder, and the ABS works.

Slightly puzzled but pleased that things are working.

It may be that the erratic Torque readings are down to my mobile or my OBD2 adapter (I have a couple of mobiles and couple of the OBD2 adapters, and I think that one of those is faulty). I will try to pin that down.

So overall, there seems to some difference between a quick battery disconnect (and pressing the brake pedal), and a longer battery disconnect.

HTH
Steve
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 21:47   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Could be the electrical part of the ignition, it can do wierd things. If it happens again try gently moving the key one way then the other a small amount in the ignition to see if it fixes it. Not expensive or difficult to replace.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 22:32   #6
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Andrew,

I hadn't thought of that. If it happens again, I'll give it a wiggle.

I'll also look out a spare ignition switch back to keep on hand.

At Skandix 55 euros Volvo part number 9447804

I'll look in the shed. I'll need it one day.

Thanks,
Steve
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 19:49   #7
Clogs
Clogs

Default No Speedo is often ABS unit solder joints

If the speedo dies and no warning lamps come on, there may be a loose connection in the ABS control unit. Switch off ignition and open the ABS unit (remove air intake filter housing to access the unit better as it's a bit tight to get at), and open it up, check the connecting plug is not corroded, and if that doesn't do the trick, try wedging some old credit cards or visiting cards between the unit. If that does the trick, then it's likely the solder joints need redoing and that involves removing the back of the unit and breaking the seals. See previous posts on this issue.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 17:03   #8
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Clogs,

Yes I have had that problem on other V70s, so I know the symptoms and the cure.

I might be wrong, but I think if that had been the problem, I would have got an ABS light, and it wouldn't cause the flashing service reminder light.

Still not 100% sure what caused this, so I will keep an eye on it and post here if I learn anything more.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by SteveSarre; Mar 8th, 2020 at 17:06.