Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230FK Dual Mass Flywheel Delete?

Views : 2128

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2018, 08:24   #1
LPTJoe

Default B230FK Dual Mass Flywheel Delete?

As per the title chaps.

My car makes a pronounced rattle after a long run, the rattle vanishes when the clutch is pressed, also there's a brief jangle/rattle when the engine is switched off. My time with VAG cars tells me that this is likely the DMF complaining, also (And again if it's like VAG stuff) I know it could go in two weeks or last another two years. Biting point is good and the clutch doesn't slip so hopefully the flywheel won't let go anytime soon....None the less...

My question is simple, what are the options to delete the DMF? I plan to fit a manual boost control shortly but other than upping the boost to circa 10psi I don't plan any other power mods.

What do I need to get rid of the DMF/replace the clutch in a cost effective manner? Dog dish flywheel? Is there a kit that does the whole thing? Links would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance chaps

EDIT: To say that I've found a another thread that suggests the rattle might actually be the gearbox, and is normal...?

"Volvo fitted the DMF to get rid of the rattle you get from tri-axle gearboxes. The M90 is a tri-axle gearbox and you may hear a distinct rattle from it when sitting in neutral with your foot off the clutch"

and...

"The tri-axle gearboxes can suffer for gear rattle..... that is the actual gear teeth rattling together because of the design of the gearbox. Volvo and many other manufacturers fitted a DMF to reduce this rattle. a 4 cylinder engine runs quite rough on idle, hence this roughness/ crank oscillation transfers to the internals of the gearbox. A TD clutch can be of some benefit if you are planning to run a bit more HP and your DMF/clutch is worn out. The rattling should disappear once the clutch is pressed or you are driving along.
When I put a TD flywheel/clutch in my RED drift car it didn't rattle, but I have now gone TTV. WE put a TTV in the second BLACK drift car and the gearbox rattles..... Oh well! "

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184826

Am I worrying about nothing?

Last edited by LPTJoe; Sep 4th, 2018 at 08:58.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 08:51   #2
LPTJoe

Right, found a solid mass flywheel conversion kit, the cost is scary...

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...n-kit/1052166/
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 10:27   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think Dai (ClassicSwede) is quite knowledgeable on the conversion and maybe even supplies a kit or can give you pointers in the right direction Joe.

Also Tom (P505DEF) breaks a lot of Volvos and i believe is familiar with the conversion so could probably put together a kit of bits secondhand for you at a reasonable price - would probably be wise to buy a new 3-piece clutch kit though!

The Skandix kit probably isn't that far off in terms of cost when you consider it - new 3-piece clutch kit has to be in the region of £1-200 without even thinking about it (closer to £200 i would have thought), the new flywheel is probably in the region of about £300 then you've got the flywheel boss, release lever and so on which all adds up.

Another thought - Jim (tofufi) has broken a 760 diesel which i believe was manual, he may be able to help with some bits as well.

Here's a couple of links that might be helpful :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284931

An item Tom (P505DEF) is selling. ^^^

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282277

Something Jim (tofufi) is selling ^^^

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=3126

Found Dais profile link before anything he was selling! ^^^

Hopefully something out of that lot will be fruitful for you!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 11:59   #4
LPTJoe

Thanks LS.

Having dug around a bit (see quotes in original post after EDIT) I think a subtle chatter from the M90 box at idle might be par for the course/normal.

Perhaps I can disregard my plans to replace the DMF for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 12:09   #5
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Another thought - Jim (tofufi) has broken a 760 diesel which i believe was manual, he may be able to help with some bits as well.
Sorry, mine was an automagic
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 13:39   #6
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

As far as I know it's quite normal with the M90. Dmf failure on old Volvos seems to be rare. Having said that, a new clutch, single mass flywheel, and new engine mounts removed a lot of the drivetrain shudder from mine.
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 14:01   #7
T5Sweep
Master Member

I have a dogdish in the shed should you feel the need to persuade me to sell it
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 14:28   #8
Gareth2510

I got the b230 to 850r ttv kit from dai brace. It was just fitted. You can definitely feel the difference. No rattle at idle. Starts up faster. & cheaper than skandix. Quality kit in my opinion.
Gareth2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth2510 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 00:33   #9
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Cheapest option is a dog dish flywheel (£20-50) and a LUK/Sachs diesel clutch kit (£163).

Common option is the TTV 850R flywheel (£285) and Volvo clutch kit (£175).

Another option is the TTV SMF flywheel (£324) and any 940 DMF clutch kit.

Add about £75-100 to any of these for other bits and bobs during the conversion.

The skandix conversion kit is £700. Hope that comes with a brand new flywheel and not just a refurbished one.

But mine rattles too, nothing to really worry about.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 07:10   #10
LPTJoe

The more I've read about this the more it's become clear that some mild chatter at idle is pretty much 'business as usual' in these cars and not the sign of impending doom that it usually represents in other marques, as such I'm going to leave things well alone.

Again, thanks all for the replies/feedback. As always you've proved to be a good bunch. I'm five months into my RWD Volvo journey now and you've all been hugely helpful and made life much easier thus far
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post: