Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rule of nine

Views : 2617

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2020, 12:50   #11
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hello George, your way is even the better one.
The "rule of nine" is for the stupid people in the Trump-land. The won't understand TDC etc.
Yes I know, SOME people there know how to do, and more than 90% won't ;-)

Good luck, regards Kay
I love how even a car forum can become a place for foreigners to weigh in on American politics and display their pettiness in judgement of approximately half of the voting population of the U.S.. It must be wonderful to have absolute knowledge of so many things!;-}
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigbunt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 13:35   #12
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbunt View Post
I love how even a car forum can become a place for foreigners to weigh in on American politics and display their pettiness in judgement of approximately half of the voting population of the U.S.. It must be wonderful to have absolute knowledge of so many things!;-}
As is often the case in a US election year people on the internet tend to get a bit more agitated than perhaps they normally would.

I think the essential part of the message is correct - the internet is full of what George Orwell called disinformation.

A similar piece of information prevelent on many American based forums is the "unavoidable procedure" of bench bleeding a master cylinder - a process in which you force air out of a master cylinder and then disconnect it to fit it to the vehicle...

...I have given up trying to understand why people think this is necessary. Tempers run high - nappies get in a niggle - people get abusive.

Back to adjusting valves - once you realise that about half of the cam surface has no rise...

...and you can see when a valve is open or closed...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 12:12   #13
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Thanks Army; exactly right! I just wanted to read about adjusting valves (which I've never done before!) on the replacement car that I got for my beloved raggedy red car that got crushed and totaled by a tree in August in "The Year of Covid" and the election and ran across this and had to vent!

Sure hope I can figure out how to open that hood. I'm just an American;-}!
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 16:17   #14
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Thanks Army; exactly right! I just wanted to read about adjusting valves (which I've never done before!) on the replacement car that I got for my beloved raggedy red car that got crushed and totaled by a tree in August in "The Year of Covid" and the election and ran across this and had to vent!

Sure hope I can figure out how to open that hood. I'm just an American;-}!
Bonnet. We'll have to educamate you on the correct terms of a car. Engine, bonnet, wings, boot etc. :-)

One of your fellow countrymen posted this and is how I do it, it keeps it simple for us simple folk. :-)

Decades ago I was shown a simpler way of doing this by a legendary old Volvo mechanic:

—Turn engine correctly to line up 0° on crank pulley with front cover indicator;

—One set of 4 valves (either 1,2,3 and 5 or 4,6,7 and 8) will now be fully
closed i.e. max clearance/max loose; which set you do first is irrelevant;

—Adjust those 4 valves that are all equally max loose; order irrelevant;

—Correctly rotate engine once/360° to again line up 0° at the crank for the 2nd set of 4 now totally loose valves.

—Check your work at 0° through two more full rotations;

—Done

Hope your year gets better, it is a crazy world at the moment.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 20:12   #15
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
One of your fellow countrymen posted this and is how I do it, it keeps it simple for us simple folk. :-)

Decades ago I was shown a simpler way of doing this by a legendary old Volvo mechanic:

—Turn engine correctly to line up 0° on crank pulley with front cover indicator;

—Correctly rotate engine once/360° to again line up 0° at the crank for the 2nd set of 4 now totally loose valves.

That is the 'Volvo approved method' as set out in the service manual. Works for a lot of other 4 cyl engines as long as they retain the 1342 firing order and linear valve arrangement. Doesn't work so well for cross flow heads with an included angle between the valve stems!
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 20:32   #16
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Bigbunt

It seems that at the moment the world is full of people who seem to think
they know everything about your current President and are experts in his
personal traits and personality

I think I've heard it called T.D.S or Trump Derangement syndrome*

*Although present in some people in the United States of America the condition mainly affects
people who don't actually live in the United States of America and are not United States citizens
so do not have the ability or right to vote in elections held in the United States of America.

most of these people don't actually have a valid opinion of the president's ability to govern the country
due to a lack of experience because they don't live there. This condition is usually made worse in their minds
because as a foreign national living outside the United States of America they think they know what's best for
the United States of America and because they don't experience everyday normal life in the United States of America.
As a result they think they know better than the north Americans who live work and pay taxes there.

In reality they should have the common decency to be quiet on the subject because
manners used to be taught as if you have nothing informed to say or nothing nice to say you should say nothing at all.

In short everybody berates your president knowing nothing about the man or his personality
and what he is really like and just repeat media driven lies.

Kind regards from The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Oct 26th, 2020 at 20:50.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 23:40   #17
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Thanks all for your cordial responses... I knew I'd get some grief for the "hood" reference. I'll attempt to comply with local terminology. I must be sensitive to the fact that this forum is .uk;-)!
And going back to the actual subject, it's interesting all the different methods for accomplishing said goal. Looking forward to trying them all! This car is in much better shape than the one it replaces so I can spend more time on the finer points, not just stopping the progress of the dreaded tin worm.

Cheerio!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigbunt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 02:29   #18
c1800
Master Member

I haven’t cross referenced this valve adjustment method to the other methods mentioned, may be similar, or not.

Phil Singher is a noted B18/B20 performance engine builder. You might find the other topics on the VClassics website interesting too. Just go the Archive Index.

http://www.vclassics.com/archive/vadjtip.htm#top

Cheers
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 08:15   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Bonnet. We'll have to educamate you on the correct terms of a car. Engine, bonnet, wings, boot etc. :-)

—Done

Hope your year gets better, it is a crazy world at the moment.
In theory this method should also work for the aforementioned Kent (Ford X-flow) engine. As for Americanisms for parts, the two that really get me are rocker panel (sill in English) and sway bars (anti-roll bars) but i have to admit i hear a lot more Americanisms on here than most UK forum members as my village is locally known as "Little America" with a high concentration of USAF personnel living and working here.
One of my favourites was while shopping in my local Co-op (for our USA readers, independent supermarket/convenience [7-11] store) and i overheard the female party of a US couple telling the male party "It's in your fanny-pack".

I can almost hear the mirth and confusion from this side of the pond as we call it a bum-bag which probably causes as much confusion and mirth stateside.

In English slang, a fanny is the female genitalia in general, last i knew in the US a bum is what we call a tramp, vagrant, down-and-out.

Don't you just love quirks like this in language!

As for Trump, i can see he has many qualities and has done quite a lot of good for the USA, there are also many things he's done that are questionable on many levels. Not having intimate knowledge of all factors concerned i couldn't say with any certainty if he should stay as President but my opinion, for whatever it may be worth is overall he's done a fairly good job (notwithstanding the dubious things already hinted at) and given the current situation with the Kung Flu and the need for consistency to get through it, i'd suggest The Donald is probably best. There's an old saying about not changing horses midstream, can't remember it properly now but pretty apt.

All that aside, have fun adjusting your valve clearances! I remember on my old 145 and 144 adjusting them a little tight and gaining much improved low down torque and economy - top end was compromised though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 12:26   #20
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
I haven’t cross referenced this valve adjustment method to the other methods mentioned, may be similar, or not.

Phil Singher is a noted B18/B20 performance engine builder. You might find the other topics on the VClassics website interesting too. Just go the Archive Index.

http://www.vclassics.com/archive/vadjtip.htm#top

Cheers
Yes, Phil certainly seems to know something about these engines. I read everything in that archive and am probably most tempted to try his ( adopted) method first. Having said that, I'm probably going to just try them all over time , just for my edumacation;-)!
I had my first car, which was sort of a Frankenstein with a manual conversion and a B20 and a Weber conversion in a forlorn body, for seven years and never got to the point of doing valves. Mostly it ran nicely enough that I never felt it was a priority over all the other things I had to deal with on it. I was finally able to get a cast cover from VP over here a little while before that car met its end (when tropical storm Isaiah dropped a 32" black walnut on the drivers rear quarter!) Looking forward to that!

Yes, Trump is a polarizing figure for sure. Having said that, he has done almost everything he said he was going to do which is quite unusual over here at least. And until Covid, it's undeniable he was getting very good results. I think it's fair to say that most people feel that the election can't be over soon enough even though there is silent dread on both sides as to the results! So, yes...a crazy year, but at least I have a "new" project car to keep my mind and body busy while the world crumbles!

And again, thanks for all the input. You guys are all great!