Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

04 V40 key reprogramming

Views : 877

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2020, 02:16   #1
Smack69

Default 04 V40 key reprogramming

I purchased an 04 V40 recently and love it , the previous owners took great care of it.
One month after owning it , I lost the key or my have been taken.
Can I purchase a key from an 2012 ? Can it be reprogrammed to work in my 04?
Thanks in advance.
Smack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 09:25   #2
gatos
Premier Member

No, you can't take a key from a 2012 and use it on the earlier 2004 model. There are two options here really. One is to get a key from Volvo, which is going to cost around £200+. The other option is to get a complete lockset for £50-£120 (price depends on which engine you have and if it comes with 1 or 2 keys) and fit it on the car. By lockset I mean the ECU, immobiliser module, lock alarm module, keys, steering column lock barrel and the rest of the door and boot locks. The lockset will have to be from a car with the exact same engine and it will work with no need for any further programming. I have done this on my own diesel, in order to get two keys and helped a few other forum members do the same on their cars

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 22:21   #3
Technician

Further to Gatos' excellent sumation of the options you have, you can get away without physically changing the locks as there is a tiny roll pin that can be knocked out to seperate the metal key blade from the flip key mechanism.

The metal part pre cut to your lock can be obtained from Volvo for a reasonable price and then added to the keys and modules that you've swapped into you car. Saves you some of the physical grief!
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Technician For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 00:50   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
Further to Gatos' excellent sumation of the options you have, you can get away without physically changing the locks as there is a tiny roll pin that can be knocked out to seperate the metal key blade from the flip key mechanism.

The metal part pre cut to your lock can be obtained from Volvo for a reasonable price and then added to the keys and modules that you've swapped into you car. Saves you some of the physical grief!
Very good point indeed

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 09:49   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

It may be worth checking the finer details of your insurance policy too, as I have optional key cover on mine, so if I were to have a key mishap it should be taken care of that way.
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 16:59   #6
v_forty

I'm looking to replace one of my keys, as the top rubber section has completely worn away leaving a fragile plastic frame - not attractive, but also potentially will now break away from the keyring. It's the older style with a separate fob for the central locking (key has transponder built in).

I'd bought a blank key from ebay, which had a slot for the transponder unit to sit in - it needs to be cut out of the original key. Here's an example of what I bought... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123612051712

However, my local and trusted locksmith couldn't cut the blade - seems to be made of a metal much stronger than other keys of this type.

Timpson say they can supply a blank key, cut it and code the transponder for my car for around £70. My original plan was to get a replacement for less than a tenner, but no joy!
v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v_forty For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 10:10   #7
LTEcactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_forty View Post
I'm looking to replace one of my keys, as the top rubber section has completely worn away leaving a fragile plastic frame - not attractive, but also potentially will now break away from the keyring. It's the older style with a separate fob for the central locking (key has transponder built in).

I'd bought a blank key from ebay, which had a slot for the transponder unit to sit in - it needs to be cut out of the original key. Here's an example of what I bought... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123612051712

However, my local and trusted locksmith couldn't cut the blade - seems to be made of a metal much stronger than other keys of this type.

Timpson say they can supply a blank key, cut it and code the transponder for my car for around £70. My original plan was to get a replacement for less than a tenner, but no joy!

Worth noting that only phase 1s have the separate transponders.
Phase 2s have the integrated flip key.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 12:53   #8
loelly

Quote:
Timpson say they can supply a blank key, cut it and code the transponder for my car for around £70
Now I am confused .
Can they code the original code in the key?? I was told only dealers could do this??
loelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 14:37   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
No, you can't take a key from a 2012 and use it on the earlier 2004 model. There are two options here really. One is to get a key from Volvo, which is going to cost around £200+. The other option is to get a complete lockset for £50-£120 (price depends on which engine you have and if it comes with 1 or 2 keys) and fit it on the car. By lockset I mean the ECU, immobiliser module, lock alarm module, keys, steering column lock barrel and the rest of the door and boot locks. The lockset will have to be from a car with the exact same engine and it will work with no need for any further programming. I have done this on my own diesel, in order to get two keys and helped a few other forum members do the same on their cars
dont forget to ask a dealer to update the volvo database with the new key numbers ..
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 16:09   #10
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

If I may suggest, this is the least expensive workaround for those with only one transponder key;

Get two GOOD QUALITY non-transponder keys cut (one to use & one as a spare), say £15 each.

Remove the steering wheel binnacle cover and tape the original key with the transponder in it in there.

Replace binnacle.

Then, you can use the newly cut keys in the lock and the transponder will work as if it's in the actual key you're using.

The chances of someone breaking in and stealing your car is slim, since they'd need to have a key, or know you've got the original one in the binnacle.

It's your choice but it's a much simpler and quicker way to resolve the issue and means one key still matches the tailgate, door, glove-box & ignition.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post: