Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 81260

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2014, 22:35   #431
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
... That is now causing about 90% of the comebacks for high oil level .
Interesting to hear, all the same, that these comebacks (as well as the other 10%) are still occurring.

So far as I understand, the lower 'fill' levels were introduced in recognition of the problem of rising oil levels, as a 'fallback' measure in case the patched software didn't fix it. If by disregarding the advice for lower fills, problems commonly arise, then surely it is tantamount to agreeing that the software patch hasn't fixed the problem?

Personally, I still subscribe to the theory that DPF owners are split onto two categories... those for whom the DPF causes problems, and those who fail to reallise that their problems are attributable to the DPF. Examples being low mpg, knackered injectors or glow plugs, or the dreaded throttle body which was simply not needed pre DPF.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 00:53   #432
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Oil dilution generally isn't a problem now , it was fixed a few years ago by the software and lower sump level .
What the problem now is Unknowledable general garages not knowing how much oil to add to the engine when they change the oil and filter ... That is now causing about 90% of the comebacks for high oil level .
Fixed? Not really a fix, but a 'get around bad design'. Not actually correct.NOT fixed years ago. My cars are MAIN dealer serviced and looked after and I have had the rising oil issue. Not because of an overfill but because of the VOLVO DESIGN in so far as the diesel flows back to the sump.Ok some issues are caused by garages not knowing where to fill the oil to, but in the main the design is poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
exactly right mines never a problem following this rule, not need to be scared of dpfs every diesel near enough has one its knowing how to look after it that's key to problem free motoring
Ok you may not have had a rising oil issue, but I reckon your oil will be diluted to such an extent that it no longer protects the engine properly - or at the least leads to extra wear in the engine over the long term. Thats why I have gone to petrol.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 07:09   #433
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

That may be the case volvo rocks which is why I don't follow the 18k oil change interval. I change it at 10k using Castrol 0 30. Totally agree with what is said but this is all I can do. I do loads of miles and have no problems as of yet . Time will tell tho

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 09:00   #434
Jetmech

Well I am not sure that the Volvo fix is a fix either. We have had our car nearly 4 years, it is over 5 years since it was serviced by Volvo so it has not had the software update. I change the oil annually, about 17000 miles, with 0w40 esp oil. As a rule the engine needs at least 1 top up during the 12 months, the low oil qty warning usually displays after about 6 months, I can usually drain all the oil into a 5 ltr can during the oil change and it doesn't smell of diesel.
Issues that I have had directly related to dpf are, a faulty dpf temperature sensor and 2 faulty glow plugs, all in the first year of ownership.
I wonder if driving style has a lot to do with this issue, my wife uses the Volvo 90% of the time and has a light right foot. At work we have 2, 2010, Mercedes Sprinter vans that rarely go on the open road, they are constantly in limp mode with the soot filter light on and often need the oil draining off!
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 14:38   #435
Chauffeurdude

Well I still think the dreaded DPF ruined my engine!! Have finally had to call time on the old V70!! I know the car has done major miles (354,000) but I am sure it would have kept going much longer were it not for the DPF problems!! Bearing in mind the oil dilution problems I changed the oil every 8-9000 miles to try and keep better quality oil in there. A very disappointing end to what was an absolutely fantastic car otherwise!!! It still runs and drives fine but is very rattly now and goes into limp mode within minutes!! it is still on the original turbo and that is fine!! Trouble is not worth putting on another new DPF as car is now burning oil so will just be money down the drain!!! Got to work out what to do with the poor old thing now? Still got MOT to end of year and tax till end of August!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 17:34   #436
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

That is an absolute shame because no dought it would of kept going! That many miles on a volvo should not be an issue but oil dilution has obviously taken it toll. If it were mine I would be tempted to remove the engine and strip it down to see how much damage has been caused. Tho I feel this era of volvos and on are now considered more a product than a car, same with all makes, they have a design life and yours will be beyond that so to volvo the product has done well.

My friend has a new focus with the Eco boost engine. The timing belt runs in the engine oil and he asked about when replacement would be due, the answer was it lasts the life of the engine.....hmmm

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Jul 9th, 2014 at 17:36.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 17:59   #437
Bill_56
Premier Member

Design life of the DPF itself would also be relevant.

It is often said they are designed to last the life of the car, but I once dug up some actual numbers (may be buried earlier in this long thread), as to what the DPF manufacturers mean by that. Working from memory, which is hazy at the best of times, I think it was around 80 to 120k miles, ie an average car lifetime across all makes, and probablynincluding those that meet an early demise in an accident.

80-120k may satisfy 'life of the car' for some makes, but I'm certain many Volvo owners would feel differently.

Still, credit where it is due... Chauffeurdude's car, was still going up to 350k miles (albeit not on original DPF)! Wow. I still reckon that's a pretty amazing mileage, undreamed of by a lot of manufacturers.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 18:16   #438
Chauffeurdude

Thinking about it car has cost me very little apart from the DPF. Routine servicing. 3 cambelt/aux changes. Discs and pads only been replaced twice, had over 100,000 out of them. Handbrake shoes twice. New rear brake calipers. Battery once. Plenty of headlight bulbs!

Engine has never had any major work done apart from recent swirl flaps and arm. New DPF at 250,000. Still on original clutch/DMF. Still on original alternator and starter motor. Original turbo and intercooler!!

Those are just the things that spring to mind. I have no complaints about the car whatsoever though as has been brilliant!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 18:16   #439
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Interesting to hear, all the same, that these comebacks (as well as the other 10%) are still occurring.

Yes , the 90% are nothing to do with the car its the garages fault for not knowing how much oil to put in and putting in too much despite the sticker in front of them showing the level ( sticker from a recall ) . If they put the correct quantity in there wouldnt be a problem ,.

So far as I understand, the lower 'fill' levels were introduced in recognition of the problem of rising oil levels, as a 'fallback' measure in case the patched software didn't fix it. If by disregarding the advice for lower fills, problems commonly arise, then surely it is tantamount to agreeing that the software patch hasn't fixed the problem?

The software HAS fixed the problem in the main it altered the regeneration process and also the oil level sensor calibration was altered to make 2/3 up the dipstick as the correct level . If you over fill it its your fault .. It doesnt rise by itself now !

Personally, I still subscribe to the theory that DPF owners are split onto two categories... those for whom the DPF causes problems, and those who fail to reallise that their problems are attributable to the DPF. Examples being low mpg, knackered injectors or glow plugs, or the dreaded throttle body which was simply not needed pre DPF.
The throttle body gears stripping are down to EGR and the soot collecting around the throttle flap and jamming the flap so the operating motor strips the PLASTIC gears , the gears used to be metal in the older Bosch diesel throttle bodies .
In the real world the masses of the 1000's of volvos with DPF which are serviced properly are going about quite nicely with no problems .
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 19:05   #440
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
The throttle body gears stripping are down to EGR and the soot collecting around the throttle flap and jamming the flap so the operating motor strips the PLASTIC gears , the gears used to be metal in the older Bosch diesel throttle bodies .
In the real world the masses of the 1000's of volvos with DPF which are serviced properly are going about quite nicely with no problems .
I didn't the D5 had an ETM at all, pre 2006 (euro 4)? It's not the EGR throttle I'm talking about, it is the one in the air intake.

If a part is not fitted, it is much less likely to fail and incur a £400 repair bill.