Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D3 (2010) - Whistling & Blowing Sound on Acceleration

Views : 1838

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2015, 16:01   #1
Red Snapper

Default V70 D3 (2010) - Whistling & Blowing Sound on Acceleration

I've recently purchased a Volvo V70 D3 R-Design.

The car was fine during the first couple of weeks and I did about 2-3k miles in it, but then a week or so after I started getting a Blowing of Air sound on acceleration, and the Car came up with a Engine Management Service Required message to say something was wrong. Sometimes it would go into limp mode too. Everytime you accelerated it sounded like someone was turning up the fan to full inside the car, then down again on deceleration.

I took the car back to the Garage where I bought it and they cleared the fault, but when I drove it off I got the blowing sound again. One mechanic said it was normal, but I knew it wasn't. I took out another mechanic who brought his Diagnostics kit with him and it happened a few times again, every time I accelerated hard you got the blowing sound, followed by it going into limp mode. The reading said it was excessive air or something? He admitted it didn't sound right too.

Eventually they found a split pipe at the bottom front of the off side of the car. They ordered a new one and fitted it then brought it back to me. A couple of days later I took it out for a longer drive due to the annoying 'Soot Filter Full' Message (DPF). After a few miles I started getting a little whistling sound on acceleration, this got louder until it started making a blowing sound as well as the whistling. It seems to be getting louder all the time. It also sounds like it will end up being the same sound as before.

Do you think that they might not have tightened it up properly? And has anyone else come across this blowing sound on acceleration? It sounds like air is being blown up the inside of the windscreen of the car, and when you open the drivers window you can hear it even more.

I have contacted the garage and I am waiting on a reply. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue.

Thanks in advance
Keith

'You'll Never Walk Alone'
Red Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 01:03   #2
Fakir

Hi,
yup, it definitely sounds like a high-pressure air leak, somewhere between the turbo and the inlet manifold. I don't know anything about the french engine so far so I can't provide any better guess, but I'll look up some drawings in VIDA, just in case it helps.
Fakir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fakir For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2015, 20:38   #3
karlywoo

Have a good look at your intercooler, mine went on a 2003 V70 and after some 223k!! trhe difference after the repair was astonishing!
karlywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2015, 21:27   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Snapper View Post
I've recently purchased a Volvo V70 D3 R-Design.

The car was fine during the first couple of weeks and I did about 2-3k miles in it, but then a week or so after I started getting a Blowing of Air sound on acceleration, and the Car came up with a Engine Management Service Required message to say something was wrong. Sometimes it would go into limp mode too. Everytime you accelerated it sounded like someone was turning up the fan to full inside the car, then down again on deceleration.

I took the car back to the Garage where I bought it and they cleared the fault, but when I drove it off I got the blowing sound again. One mechanic said it was normal, but I knew it wasn't. I took out another mechanic who brought his Diagnostics kit with him and it happened a few times again, every time I accelerated hard you got the blowing sound, followed by it going into limp mode. The reading said it was excessive air or something? He admitted it didn't sound right too.

Eventually they found a split pipe at the bottom front of the off side of the car. They ordered a new one and fitted it then brought it back to me. A couple of days later I took it out for a longer drive due to the annoying 'Soot Filter Full' Message (DPF). After a few miles I started getting a little whistling sound on acceleration, this got louder until it started making a blowing sound as well as the whistling. It seems to be getting louder all the time. It also sounds like it will end up being the same sound as before.

Do you think that they might not have tightened it up properly? And has anyone else come across this blowing sound on acceleration? It sounds like air is being blown up the inside of the windscreen of the car, and when you open the drivers window you can hear it even more.

I have contacted the garage and I am waiting on a reply. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue.

Thanks in advance
Keith
hopefully they used a genuine volvo hose ? It is quite important they do they get improved as time goes on . Sounds like the similar pipe has gone on the other side , they rub on the sharp edge of the subframe , There should be a protective sleeve over this edge , did they check that on the recent one they changed ?
Old Dec 25th, 2015, 21:28   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlywoo View Post
Have a good look at your intercooler, mine went on a 2003 V70 and after some 223k!! trhe difference after the repair was astonishing!
Completely different set up on the late ones , the intercooler is 1/3 the size hence more robust .
Old Dec 25th, 2015, 21:30   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakir View Post
Hi,
yup, it definitely sounds like a high-pressure air leak, somewhere between the turbo and the inlet manifold. I don't know anything about the french engine so far so I can't provide any better guess, but I'll look up some drawings in VIDA, just in case it helps.
French engine?? D3 = 100% volvo :-) ( It is a D5 with shorter stroke to make it 2 litre )
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 21:31   #7
Chris79

I have a 2012 d3 163 with similar symptoms.

Oddly it was quite repeatable until I took the car in, then it vanished, slowly came back and now it's pretty permanent again.

The fault isn't exactly the same as you describe, it only happens between 1400 and 2000 revs, sounds like an air leak but still seems to pull well.
It's heavy on fuel - 37mpg ish around town.

Did you get any further?

Chris
Chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acceleration, blowing, turbo, whistling, wind