Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 GLT '84 is PAS conversion possible?

Views : 1423

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: PAS conversion possible on a 360 GLT?
Yeah! all you need is a hammer and few other items! 2 66.67%
Forget it stop dreaming! more hassle than its worth! 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 4th, 2008, 23:16   #1
simo
Curious Weekend Mechanic

Default 360 GLT '84 is PAS conversion possible?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to add PAS onto an original manual 360 GLT
(1984 model). if yes, could i do this myself? i would very much like to know how! What i'll need and rough costs so i know when to stop dreaming!

Thanks in advance
Simo
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 23:20   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

It was a factory option but hard to find now. You would need the rack and pump etc. You might be able to use pump + bracket and reservoir from a 240 but would need pipes or be able to get them made and the problem is finding a power rack.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 19:16   #3
SteveP
300 Maniac

Not too hard... find a later 360 (late 87 onwards) and that will have PAS as standard. I do have a used PAS rack, although it could probably do with a recon.

You'll need the PAS pump, piping, reservoir, bracket, steering rack and steering column I believe (you may be able to get away with just the bottom half of the steering column, but not entirely sure)
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 19:25   #4
john h
VOC Member

Yes, a donor car is the cheapest way; another alternative is electric PAS (see the Amazon section).

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:47   #5
SteveP
300 Maniac

Pop over to Volvo300mania.com/forum-uk, I'm pretty sure there'll be a complete 'kit' amongst people!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 16:08   #6
Velorum
VOC Member

Although I have found the steering on both of my 340's perhaps the heaviest of any car Ive owned (including a very heavy old Vauxhall 2 litre with no PAS) I have got used to it and hardly notice it anymore. I think that the simplicity of non PAS on a 340 is part of its charm. Its also a good daily workout for those biceps......................
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 20:43   #7
simo
Curious Weekend Mechanic

Thanks SteveP for that link, will be onboard pretty soon.

I'm just SO curious on how to acheive this, having PAS would help me out of those tight parking situations. Them workouts on hot summer days are a bit OTT! Brilliant in the winters though!

As much as i enjoy its 'charm' having PAS is definitely the way forward or maybe i should be considering A/C instead to keep cool during workout!......LOL
Thanks for that Ian.
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 14:53   #8
Chris_C
Gopher

Pas isn't too hard, if you can get the bits. You'll need exactly what Steve says, including the bottom 6" of the steering column from a PAS car. The non pas 300 has a rubber bit that connects the column to the rack like most old skool stuff (although unlike things like dolomites, if it perishes, you don't loose steering, it just has about 60 degs of slack before anything happens) the pas cars connect directly.

I have a set from my old GLT in the garage, but keep thinking about putting it on my project car. I get put off by the vague feeling of PAS though, I've been driving a 360GLT with it for the last 10 days, and I hate the lack of feeling when pushing the car. If it's a sensible daily driver though, it is a lot more managable for manouevers.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 23:49   #9
SteveP
300 Maniac

I expect a 360 without PAS to be a whole new level of pain compared to your 1.7, Chris. And I stand by the fact a 300 series PAS system offers exeptional feedback compared to most!
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:49   #10
Chris_C
Gopher

Nah, I've done around 1000m in a non pas'd 360, it's the same tbh And feeling compared to most doesn't say much does it

To be fair, it is so much easier to park a pas'd car, I just can't live with having to listen to oversteer instead of feeling for it.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote