Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Engine System Service Required"?

Views : 9617

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 19:30   #1
jaseypk

Default "Engine System Service Required"?

Hey guys, sorry you're probably going to get a load of amateur Volvo or Diesel related questions since this is my first car of both forms...

What does this warning mean?

"Engine System Service Required"

It came on just after I had it last serviced, but put it down to just a service interval light thing, that didn't mean anything, other than the trip meter or something on the ECU said the car had expired a certain number of miles.

Or am I completely wrong, and it actually means theres (potentially) a fault, dodgy sensor, or other issue that needs addressing?

Cheers,

Jase

2008 S40 D5
jaseypk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 22:14   #2
Jon TDI

Sounds like the oil level has been overfilled. Should only be filled to around three quarters full.
Regeneration of the DPF forces the oil level to rise above the max level & triggers the warning light.

I have had the same on mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon TDI For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 22:21   #3
pgm
Master Member

"Engine system service required" means there is a fault
"regular service required" means it is due an oil change
I would try and get the codes read to see exactly what the fault is.

Paul
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 22:25   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

+1

Almost definitely too much oil has been put back in on the service.

If you look at your dipstick and at the MIN and MAX marks, the oil should only be filled to about 2/3 to 3/4 the way up the MIN / MAX marks. If yours is sitting on the full mark or higher then this is 100% your problem and a simple easy fix.

Your car should have a sticker by the dipstick to indicate the new MAX level?? If not then it is worth checking with Volvo to see if your car has had recalls conducted (recalls are done free of charge).

Your remedy is to have the garage that done your service drop the oil level to the correct level and after 'XX' amount of start stop cycles (using the car normally) the message will go away or the garage can reset codes if they have ability. It would indicate the garage doesn't know what they are doing with your car by overfilling, this is common knowledge and bread and butter stuff for garages.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 22:29   #5
RPB

My D5 has just displayed this warning again, 6 months after service at a Volvo MD. I've drained the oil in the past , but it's a pain in the arse.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 22:39   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB View Post
My D5 has just displayed this warning again, 6 months after service at a Volvo MD. I've drained the oil in the past , but it's a pain in the arse.
This can happen on the D5 because of the way the DPF and regens work on these cars. If you have a continuous rising problem this would indicate your car is doing excess regenerations. You may need to investigate if this is the case.

It would however be normal if the car is used for lots of short trips and not able to regen properly and completely thus it will keep trying which leads to the oil level rising.

Possible causes:

Lots of short trips and unable to complete regens
Failing DPF pressure sensor triggering regen cycles as it indicated DPF is blocked and requires cleaning.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:24   #7
jaseypk

Coincidentally I've just done an oil change, put 6 litres of fresh oil in (max stated in the user manual), and its reading about 3/4 on the dipstick, but warning light is still up on the dash with "engine system service required". I'll give volvo a call later today to see if mines had the recall done, and if it has.. guess its fault code time! Thanks a lot for your help
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:35   #8
jaseypk

Just contacted Volvo, and the recall has been done on my car, so I went for a nosey, sure enough, sticker on the top of the bumper (no where near the dipstick.. helpful!) saying "recommended" fill level is about 3/4. My oil level is now at "dip stick maximum". Doh!

I'm assuming this isn't going to cause a problem with the engine, only trigger that horrid light? As I can't be bothered putting it back up on the ramps again today haha
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 16:28   #9
Jon TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseypk View Post
Just contacted Volvo, and the recall has been done on my car, so I went for a nosey, sure enough, sticker on the top of the bumper (no where near the dipstick.. helpful!) saying "recommended" fill level is about 3/4. My oil level is now at "dip stick maximum". Doh!

I'm assuming this isn't going to cause a problem with the engine, only trigger that horrid light? As I can't be bothered putting it back up on the ramps again today haha
It won't do any harm. It'll just trigger the warning light each time you start up.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 20:24   #10
jaseypk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon TDI View Post
It won't do any harm. It'll just trigger the warning light each time you start up.
Perfect, thanks mate. I'll drain a few hundred millilitres when I get round to it