Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Banks are strange

Views : 612

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 17:12   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Banks are strange

So I went to my bank the other week with the purpose of remortgaging, and to borrow an additional £10,000 on top of my 38 year mortgage.

My property is worth just under £150,000 and my mortgage owed was £112,500.

Went through the application with their Mortgage advisor, asked me all the questions on affordability etc etc... Outcome? Additional borrowing Declined on the basis of affordability.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I decide to try applying for a £15,000 personal loan over 7 years with the same bank via their online banking system. The system asked me NO QUESTIONS about what my general expenditure and instantly approved and payed out the loan within what must have no more than 2 minutes from filling my name in, to clicking "Apply".

I cannot understand the logic here?
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:54   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

I would say that any mortgage application is almost certain to be analysed at some point by a person whereas a loan application will most likely be computerised and will only give a no or referral if your general credit rating and payment history score doesn't pass an arbitrary pass mark.

I agree that it can appear not to make sense but many financial instruments are counterintuitive.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 19:54   #3
Laney760
VOC Member

Perhaps it is faster and less hassle for a bank to get their money back from a defaulted loan agreement than for a defaulted mortgage?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:18   #4
I-S
Premier Member

38 year mortgage?

That right there is your problem. Assuming that you're not below the age of 30 then they are already looking at you trying to pay off your mortgage without an income in 38 years time. They're certainly unlikely to extend borrowing on that!

The loan is over 7 years, so assuming you're not over the age of 55 then they're not going have such concerns.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:24   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

You breached the magical 70-75% threshold for refer to another underwriter or re-insurer! Anything secured on your property above 75% always causes more issues, especially if your home isnt that old or a new build flat then they dont even trust your valuation!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:29   #6
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
38 year mortgage?

That right there is your problem. Assuming that you're not below the age of 30 then they are already looking at you trying to pay off your mortgage without an income in 38 years time. They're certainly unlikely to extend borrowing on that!

The loan is over 7 years, so assuming you're not over the age of 55 then they're not going have such concerns.
This is interesting, I was 27 when I took out the mortgage. I just assumed they'd prefer to make that back in long term interest gained over 38 years, than the 7 years via the personal loan.

I suppose the real question is why the heck would anyone want to add 10k onto a 38 year mortgage...
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:28   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
I suppose the real question is why the heck would anyone want to add 10k onto a 38 year mortgage...
Some years ago my bank started doing 'one account' where they lumped all of your money together so any savings or positive balances were offset against the mortgage to lower the interest costs, the only issue was that my mortgage wasn't big enough to qualify. In order to get the 'one account' I had to borrow another £7500 which had to be for a sensible purpose, at about the same time the wife needed a new car. I told the bank that I wanted to replace the kitchen so they happily advanced the extra money and then lumped the accounts together and the money in my savings effectively offset the extra loan. But we did have a bit of fun when buying the car as the dealers insisted we talk to their finance department, so we sat there and listened to their spiel and then I said to the wife 'We can just add it to the mortgage' knowing it was already covered by the offsetting, the finance guy nearly had a heart attack and then lectured me on having a 25 year loan for a car that wouldn't last that long while we just sat there and said we weren't bothered.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:28   #8
S60RDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Yes I was thinking a personal loan would seem a better a bet. I think there are specific laws around affordability on mortgages which aren’t there for personal loans. If you look to remortgage your loan will be taken into account though.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote