Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav Fault - Help Needed

Views : 6380

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2019, 22:22   #61
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoreilly View Post
Well I can confirm that taking a hard drive out from a 2nd hand unit works without a problem.

Appears the DVD that you must have in the unit is tied to the unit and not the hard drive -
so I put a Australia hard drive in and it requires my European disc to enable it to work.

Also noticed that it installed both maps onto the hard drive.
This probably is supported for the overseas delivery and military cars. I heard they let you use the European maps while your overseas then convert your unit back to North American when you return.
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:42   #62
mcox42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant Eclipse View Post
Latest Update,

After being run round the houses and given conflicting advice from a number of Volvo main dealers, I have found a main dealer that gave the following advice:

- Your replacement HDD is blank and, like a computer, needs the operating system reloading on to it.
- This will cost about £30 for the software and 1hr of labour.
- Once the operating system is reloaded, you will be able to reload your map data from the DVDs you already have.

The earliest I can get this done is towards the end of Jun and I shall repot back then. Any suggestions welcome in the meantime.
Any update on this yet Brilliant Eclipse? Very interested to know if this works.
mcox42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcox42 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 09:02   #63
mcox42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcox42 View Post
Any update on this yet Brilliant Eclipse? Very interested to know if this works.
Have you had any joy with this yet?
mcox42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcox42 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 08:54   #64
GenericVolvoDriver

I too would love to know if the blank hard drive worked!
...or if we need to get ready for round two.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 02:01   #65
GenericVolvoDriver

Any updates to share?
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 15:35   #66
Brilliant Eclipse

Hello All,

Apologies for the lengthy delay in continuing this thread. After replacing the HDD (with an identical new one) that sits within the Multi Media Unit under the passenger seat, I accessed the built-inSATNAV diagnostic menus. These confirmed that the HDD was now 'OK'. The SATNAV powers on and displays the initial menu as it should. However, regardless of whether you select Simple or Advanced mode, the SATNAV system cannot find the HDD.

At this point I took the car to a very helpful Volvo main dealer (although it took a while to find one that did not default to treating me like a child). Their explanation for the above was that the boot sequence is driven by a Flash ROM within the MMU which is why this part worked but that because the HDD had neither the 'operating system' nor any mapping data, it would not start correctly. Their suggestion was to install the 'operating system' with the expectation that this would then allow me to install the maps.

Unfortunately, the Volvo dealer was unable to get the 'operating system' loaded. The MMU simply would not accept the data. They had no other suggestions except a new unit (upwards of £1000).

So...they only thing I can think of it to get hold of a sector-level image of a working HDD and copy that image to my blank HDD. Any offers greatly received.
Brilliant Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 19:34   #67
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant Eclipse View Post
Unfortunately, the Volvo dealer was unable to get the 'operating system' loaded. The MMU simply would not accept the data. They had no other suggestions except a new unit (upwards of £1000).

So...they only thing I can think of it to get hold of a sector-level image of a working HDD and copy that image to my blank HDD. Any offers greatly received.
That sounds about right

Remember, these systems run customer operating systems that are preloaded in the factory. Once in the field, the workshops do not have any tools or methods at their hands apart from loading new OS versions on to virgin units or working units.
A virgin unit has a minimum of OS already loaded ex factory.

A bit-clone from a working unit is the only hope now.
You could try and purchase a 2nd hand nav system from a wrecker and remove the HDD and use that to clone with.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote