Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 v XC60

Views : 3403

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2019, 02:22   #21
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
I mean I went from XC60 to XC90 and I would still probably say on balance, the XC60 is the slightly better looking car of the two (in R-Design trim for the XC90 and Inscription Pro for the XC60 so not an exact pairing).

Neither the XC60 or the XC90 are the best looking 4x4s in my humble opinion but they are both good looking SUVs.

I can't speak for any engines other than T8 variants, the XC90 is slower than the XC60 but it feels less front driven in the more powerful modes which I like.

I wouldn't specifically single one or the other out as being distinctly better in my opinion but again that's just me!
I just have to say that in my opinion both look better on R-Design. Exterior i mean. Interior i am not sure. For a more luxurious feeling, inscription is definitely better looking. For a more sportier look R-Design is the choice. Even so i might consider after all , the Inscription trim a better choice for the interior.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 02:55   #22
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I might be a bit biased given owning one, but of all the SPA's, I think the XC90 is the best looking by far. I've got a bursting blue R-Design in 2017 form, so again, think it looks the part Each to their own naturally. I also think it holds it ground against X5 and Q7 in the looks department, and I prefer to the XC90 out of all 3 to be honest. Swedish looks I guess rather than Germanic function.

I like the looks of the V90 from the front and sides, but the rear lights just don't sit well with me. Ditto S90.

XC60 also looks fine from front and side, but rear also doesn't seem right. It's the lights again, just don't like them. I just can't get on with the inwards design towards the number plate.

V60 doesn't seem too bad, but having had one as a courtesy car, the front interior space is cramped. It also felt a bit "plastic" compared to the XC90.

S60 looks quite nice, but I suspect will also suffer from cramped interior.

XC40 is just a sort of mini-SUV - doesn't look too bad for what it is, but is down a class. I expect if the V60 feels "plastic", I'm sure the XC40 will be the same.
I guess we all need to stop being blind. I bought a Volvo yes i did. Just like i bought other brands in the past, such as Citroen, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Merc. And now Volvo. I like the new design language Volvo adopted, i think they have overall good cars, safe cars, well built but not yet a premium car brand like the German ones. Let's face it. Maybe in some years due to the evolution factor that the Swedish brand has been having lately, with big investments from its top investor and chinese owner Geely (let's not all forget that Volvo was declining pretty much when Ford owned it. Some might think it was long time ago but it wasn't, as a matter of fact it was 9 years ago when Geely group acquired Volvo from Ford), Volvo will be in the top three but it's not there yet. XC90 is for all of us i guess, 'the better car' money can buy in the Volvo lineup from its entire range. I personally like the XC90. But let's be honest... better than the new X5? Are you kidding me?? Better than the Q8?? Really?? I won't even write Porsche in here or Mercedes top of the range. I mean Suvs. That's what XC90 is. The Volvo SUV top of the range. I wouldn't even think twice if someone would come to me and offer me the new X5 over the new facelifted XC90 MY20. Maybe in the future i might say the opposite. But for now and given the distance that still exists between German premium brands and Volvo in terms of a lot of issues, like software at the top, but not only, i would choose for sure in this specific situation i gave, the X5. My opinion and that's all. Sometimes i think some people are delusional and don't accept things as they are, don't accept reality and live in their own bubble in their own creations and fantasies.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jun 16th, 2019 at 03:41.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 09:10   #23
MaDProFF
Master Member

To be fair to Volvo, in the case of the T8 a year ago, there was nothing else on the market to even compete with a T8, for what I wanted out of a car, hence I bought one, in the next few years it will be a different story, what will I buy then probably not a Volvo.

I think the premium German brands have far worse issues than Software than Volvo do, Audi S3 had a new engine under warranty, AMG GLA a new gearbox under warranty. to date My T8 has some software issues, I do expect the ERAD to give up the ghost under warranty, but so far so good.

It is still a Volvo, not as much as a Volvo 10 years ago, and certainly getting into the more main stream, but give them time
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 01:18   #24
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
I guess we all need to stop being blind. I bought a Volvo yes i did. Just like i bought other brands in the past, such as Citroen, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Merc. And now Volvo. I like the new design language Volvo adopted, i think they have overall good cars, safe cars, well built but not yet a premium car brand like the German ones. Let's face it. Maybe in some years due to the evolution factor that the Swedish brand has been having lately, with big investments from its top investor and chinese owner Geely (let's not all forget that Volvo was declining pretty much when Ford owned it. Some might think it was long time ago but it wasn't, as a matter of fact it was 9 years ago when Geely group acquired Volvo from Ford), Volvo will be in the top three but it's not there yet. XC90 is for all of us i guess, 'the better car' money can buy in the Volvo lineup from its entire range. I personally like the XC90. But let's be honest... better than the new X5? Are you kidding me?? Better than the Q8?? Really?? I won't even write Porsche in here or Mercedes top of the range. I mean Suvs. That's what XC90 is. The Volvo SUV top of the range. I wouldn't even think twice if someone would come to me and offer me the new X5 over the new facelifted XC90 MY20. Maybe in the future i might say the opposite. But for now and given the distance that still exists between German premium brands and Volvo in terms of a lot of issues, like software at the top, but not only, i would choose for sure in this specific situation i gave, the X5. My opinion and that's all. Sometimes i think some people are delusional and don't accept things as they are, don't accept reality and live in their own bubble in their own creations and fantasies.
I’ve had a Q7, X5 and MercedesML, plus Range Rovers a Jaguar V8 and many others. The BMW was the only one ever to leave my wife stranded and the car having to be carried by truck to the dealer. Twice.
The BMW was also the most unrefined in suspension terms. Hard as hell.
Q7 was OK and did good service but needed four expensive new tyres every 12,000 miles, which was unacceptable. It went very well, although no better really than the Volvo.
I’m not in the least impressed by badges and for all I know I might fancy a Hyundai for my next car, although I have a deposit down for a new Defender. I’ve probably had more JLR vehicles than any other brand over the years and only one was a bad one, but that was hellish bad. It was a 1983 110 County station wagon, bought new and everything that could fail,did. Some more than once. Two gearboxes and an engine crank, two steering boxes and sundry suspension bushes, all in 35,000 miles. Oddly, at the same time I ran a 1984 hi-Cap pickup at the same time that was no bother and which I ran until it was scrapped after 22 years service. At one time I ran a 110, a Range Rover and a Discovery three door at the same time. None of which gave any bother at all. Ran the 1988 RR, my second, until 1995 and 100,000 trouble free miles. It was a diesel Vogue, which was a bit rare at the time. By then the Discovery had gone and been replaced by a 4.2 diesel Land Cruiser, my first of two.

Back to the subject. I place the Volvo up there with any of the German brands. Safe. Well equipped. Reliable. Comfortable. Performs very well. Economical in every way relatively speaking. Nice to look at. Great dealer experience. What’s not to like? I would buy one again but I’m not loyal to any car brand, which lets me purchase whatever I fancy at any time. I’m just as happy in the Honda I also currently own and am partial to a spin in my daughter’s Qashqai too.

There are limits though and my wife wouldn’t be seen in daylight in my daughter’s Fiat Panda, bought in 2006. Not in daylight. We are big people and she said that the two of us in the front looked like The Wombles. Me? I quite enjoyed the odd spin in it. Good fun really.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 09:47   #25
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
It is the rear door arrangement which really puts me off the XC60. All the 5hit from the road gets flung into the rear edge of the rear door. If you look in the wheelarch you can even see the rubber of the rear door seal. I cant see how this will be durable and also it must be really easy to get mucky when getting in......
There's a (relatively..) cheap aftermarket fix for those who are bothered by this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32968887627.html

I personally don't care about this. No way one can get dirty getting in/out (the dirt stays on the door edge - not on the seal..) - but I know one gets dirty from getting in/out of an XC90 - as, unlike on the XC60 - the doors don't cover the sills all the way.. You can see the seal only if you stuck your head in the rear fender. Durable? What, a rubber seal? I'm sure it will be as durable as all other seals on these cars..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:24   #26
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Not sure if all of that was aimed at my comments, but I only said about the styling in comparison to X5/Q7. Not the engineering/quality/reliability etc. Never driven an X5 or Q7 so can't pass comment.

My other car is a Hyundai i30, so not got any badge snobbery or bubbles Safe to say I've had 2 of those now though and tough as nails. Zero problems with either.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:35   #27
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Not sure if all of that was aimed at my comments, but I only said about the styling in comparison to X5/Q7. Not the engineering/quality/reliability etc. Never driven an X5 or Q7 so can't pass comment.

My other car is a Hyundai i30, so not got any badge snobbery or bubbles Safe to say I've had 2 of those now though and tough as nails. Zero problems with either.
I am sorry... i know i quoted you but it was my mistake. Came from you talking about XC90 but then i just started to write in a general way. Not to you in specific but generally speaking.