Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 diesel P0380 error code...HELP! 😭

Views : 12691

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2015, 20:59   #1
Rimbo

Default V50 diesel P0380 error code...HELP! 😭

Hi All.

I've recently bought my first Volvo, a V50 2.0 diesel. It's quite high miles but we'll maintained and think it's great. However I am having starting problems from warm or hot engine. It will start eventually but after engine has cooled. A diagnostic (not by Volvo, just Bosch) says P0380 glow plug relay fault. Can anyone offer any advice on this or had similar problems. Also the approx cost of repair.

Hope to hear soon
Regards Paul
Rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 21:28   #2
alfadave11

I would have thought technician would have gave you advice
my thoughts would be check there is power to glow plugs .im sure there protected with 60 amp fuse as if no feed back signal to ecu it will throw a code which is generic
if fuse is intact I would resort to replacing glow plugs about 15 pound each
also I would clean your air shut off valve is clean and not sticking ..this is located on entry of inlet manifold
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 21:34   #3
Rimbo

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The diagnostic code was just from an AA guy and when he turned up, the car started so he couldn't really be more specific. I have it booked I'm for diagnostic at an independent Volvo garage so hopefully their equipment will be more specific and pin point the problem. I was wondering if it sounds like a costly repair or just a couple of hundred which I can live with?

Cheers

Paul
Rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 21:41   #4
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbo View Post
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The diagnostic code was just from an AA guy and when he turned up, the car started so he couldn't really be more specific. I have it booked I'm for diagnostic at an independent Volvo garage so hopefully their equipment will be more specific and pin point the problem. I was wondering if it sounds like a costly repair or just a couple of hundred which I can live with?

Cheers

Paul
ah right all the gear and no idea ......I would check your fuse for glow plugs in your engine compartment yourself F6 should be in handbook >>>cheap fix
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 23:17   #5
bonesxii

Default Old school diesel technician ideas....

Check for power with a test light at glow plugs and amp draw at the relay output. all checks out then need new glow plugs. cheep. Also keep in mind of the new bio-diesel. It is low sulfur and contains lamons terms cooking oil. Use Stanadyne diesel additive especially during winter months. We have same issues in the trucking field.
bonesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 20:49   #6
linearamp

i had the same error code ..wasn't the relay at all .i just replaced all 4 glow plugs as couldn't be bothered finding which one was at fault ..Code no longer appeared after the new glow plugs were fitted .
Pain in the rear to fit as they are down the back of the engine.Certain things have to be removed to get access .
linearamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 20:13   #7
AlexMKD

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, found this error code that bothers me too - I have a 2007 Volvo S 40.

The diagnosis showed 'glow plug relay' failure.

I've changed the relay, but the error code still persist.

Moreover, when we make the diagnosis while the engine is on, it shows that the glow plugs are always on.

Does anyone experienced similar problem?

Thanks.

Alex
AlexMKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:34   #8
Bloders2

I doubt very much it has anything to do with glowplugs.
Glowplugs wil be mainly used when cold. if it starts then id start looking elsewhere.

What other symptoms does it have when it wont start and how does it behave when its started?
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:52   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

You had it looked at by Bosch or an AA guy? Or both?

Bosch are generally excellent. They designed your common rail injection system so understand how to diagnose any fault (and hold the spares). Did they try a replacement relay?

Can't see how a gliwplug fault would cause a starting problem in summer, though...
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 19:33   #10
Jhes

Had the same faultcode. This was a glowplug that had broken into two parts. So code went away with new plugs
Jhes is offline   Reply With Quote