Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HUD or heated windscreen

Views : 57524

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which option would you sekect
HUD 205 46.91%
Heated windscreen 232 53.09%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:17   #91
Wizzpop
Master Member

I like the HUD. Didn't bother with the heated screen. If it's frosty I put a fan heater in the car first thing, then all the windows are clear, and the car is warm. Oh for a nice warm garage.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 13:41   #92
uro1

Well last Friday I was quite happy to have chosen the heated Windscreen. Had to activate it regularly in order to keep the screen free. Yes putting more heat on the screen might have also worked, but it would have heated up the car uncomfortably. That would have distracted my concentration and made a rather difficult drive so much more unbearable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2360.jpg (382.7 KB, 78 views)
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 14:22   #93
I Feel Old

Had I been choosing between the two I would have gone with the heated screen. In the event we bought a car which has a HUD, if I had to choose now I there's no doubt I would choose a HUD. If the screen was something I would use daily it may well be a closer call. However with the screen only being useful for the start of the journey a couple of handfuls of times year the HUD is a no brainier IMO.

Really useful bit of kit.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 22:57   #94
Superbenj

Both is the correct answer obviously.

As a HUDder however, I think if it was one or other, not having a heatd windscreen, I'd think I choose the windscreen now (may say different in the summer though!).
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 23:17   #95
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Wow that’s the closest poll I’ve seen. Pity you can’t have both.
Oh, you can't have both? Why's that, seems weird, its just a reflection isn't it??

Im not sure the heated screen is an option at all in the US, cant remember seeing it when I was looking at getting my XC60
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 08:49   #96
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbenj View Post
Oh, you can't have both? Why's that, seems weird, its just a reflection isn't it??

Im not sure the heated screen is an option at all in the US, cant remember seeing it when I was looking at getting my XC60
The part the HUD reflects into is machined to an exact profile, I think - something that can't be done with the heated windscreen due to the elements.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:27   #97
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
The part the HUD reflects into is machined to an exact profile, I think - something that can't be done with the heated windscreen due to the elements.

There is nothing machined into the windscreen. It is just an ordinary windscreen. You can have gadgets that project mobile phone screens into a HUD for any car. This is one that lays flat on the top of any dash and projects to the windscreen in the same way as a factory fit unit.

The reason that this kind of projector can't be used with the heated screen is that the wires are reflective and would interfere with the projected light and reflections. The type that projects to a little plastic false screen, such as fitted to Mini, is suitable for use with heated windscreens.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:43   #98
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
The type that projects to a little plastic false screen, such as fitted to Mini, is suitable for use with heated windscreens.
Shame Volvo can’t offer that option, then...!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:09   #99
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
Shame Volvo can’t offer that option, then...!
As an option, perhaps yes. They don't look as good though but the main drawback is that unless your seating position is very low behind the dashboard, the plastic screen doesn't extend upwards enough, therefore the display on the XC series, for example, would I suspect look like it was very low and on the bonnet instead of above it and a couple of feet in front of the bonnet.
I can't be sure without it being available of course.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 18:46   #100
al dm

I love the HUD on mine. I have really got used to it now and wouldn't want another car without it.

I do wish I could have a bit MORE information on it rather than just current speed, directional arrows if using Nav and current road speed limit though. I guess it does pop up City Safety icons and other things like speed camera warnings ahead, but I would like more. RPM for example.

I guess the Swedes decided that it should be as minimalist as possible.

For heated screen, I haven't missed that yet as I rather enjoy using remote start while I sit inside with a cup of tea and come out to a nicely defrosted car with warm seats and steering wheel.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote