Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SRS system. New seats - missing wiring?

Views : 750

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2019, 12:53   #1
maxPower

Default SRS system. New seats - missing wiring?

Hi Folks.

I bought a '94 940 wagon. Came with racing seats. I found some matching 940 seats from a sedan at a local yard. Drivers side installed fine (halfway installed, need to pull it back out and restore the bottom / grease etc). The passenger side seat has to wire - one for the heater, and one from the seat belt assembly. The seat belt wires are 1 black, 1 green. Unfortunately, I don't see a connector coming from the car to plug it into? The driver side had one.

What function does this control besides the SRS warning light? Will the airbag not deploy if this isn't plugged in? Are there any other side effects?

I don't want anyone in the passenger seat being hurt and I'm finding it difficult to locate diagrams / schematics on the full SRS system. If you have any leads for more in depth reading I'd really appreciate it. I've been through the FAQ.
maxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 14:21   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does it actually have a passenger side airbag? If so, i'd lift the carpet and see if you can find the wiring for the seat belt pretensioner (i guess that's what you're referring to) but not all cars had passengers airbags, not all cars had bags built into the seats and so on. You really need to find the original spec of your car (not the guy down the road who has one the same year but your particular car) as you may be searching for something it never had.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 23:34   #3
maxPower

Thanks for the help!

1. Yes there is an airbag on the passenger side
2. There is an orange and white wire that runs to the pretensioner (located in the column behind the door)
3. The mystery to me is the black and green plug that comes from where the seat belt buckles in. See photo.

The car I pulled the seat from had a paired connector. My wagon doesn't have anything. I pulled the carpet back quite a bit to see if someone had cut it or something but really no clues / indication it is or has ever been there.

In case the image doesn't work, use this link: https://imgur.com/mqPy38a
The Following User Says Thank You to maxPower For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 23:36   #4
maxPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You really need to find the original spec of your car (not the guy down the road who has one the same year but your particular car) as you may be searching for something it never had.
This is very helpful, thank you. I will look into ascertaining the spec for my SRS system. Besides VIN / googling for year model info do you have any additional direction I may be missing?
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 23:58   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxPower View Post
This is very helpful, thank you. I will look into ascertaining the spec for my SRS system. Besides VIN / googling for year model info do you have any additional direction I may be missing?
Nothing i can think of at the moment. Does that plug with the black green wires go into the seat or into the seat belt buckle? I'm wondering if the donor car had illuminated seat belt buckles or perhaps it's an occupancy switch in the seat.
If yours had racing seats installed by the previous owner, there's a strong possibility that the occupancy sensor/switch for the seat belt alarm/warning was deleted so it wasn't going "bing-bong..... bing-bong" while they're at the start line/grid with their racing harnesses strapped on but no OE seat belt.

All of this is pretty much guesswork to be fair, the USA and Canadian spec cars are often different to our UK ones and mine doesn't have airbags (thankfully!) so i've never really looked too closely at the circuits.

Something that might be useful is this :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...DataPocket.pdf

Gives you a lot of specs and VIN number decoding plus a lot of other useful info. Parent Directory for it containing a lot of other info :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_files2.html

Save you a lot of time getting no sensible answers from Goggle!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 02:16   #6
maxPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Does that plug with the black green wires go into the seat or into the seat belt buckle? I'm wondering if the donor car had illuminated seat belt buckles or perhaps it's an occupancy switch in the seat..
The black and green wire go to the seat belt buckle. My first guess was occupancy - I've had other cars (non-Volvo) where the airbag is disabled if the seat belt isn't plugged in. Interesting point about the illumination - I do believe the buckles have bulbs in them.

I'll get on to those links you shared. I'm keen on developing a comprehensive understanding on what's going on.

I'm tempted to search the forum for 'disable entire SRS(ystem)' after reading about how brutal the airbag impact is from this era of car. Should make for some interesting reading.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:50   #7
maxPower

Quote:
while they're at the start line/grid with their racing harnesses strapped on but no OE seat belt.
Thankfully the full extent of his career was rattle canning the hydras, swapping two seats, and some stickers. The car was mostly stock beyond that when it passed his hands, he didn't get into the engine bay.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 09:51   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxPower View Post

I'm tempted to search the forum for 'disable entire SRS(ystem)' after reading about how brutal the airbag impact is from this era of car. Should make for some interesting reading.
I've seen the results of an airbag deploying in a minor shunt. About 12 years ago, a work colleague had a walking speed head to head shunt in his works van. He was deaf for three days and had a white stripe across his face where his glasses were, they protected his eyes from the "slap" the airbag gave the rest of his face!

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 17:03   #9
WUMPSTER

those wires on my 940 are the seat belt warning un plug them it stops flashing on the dash and in the rear
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 23:38   #10
maxPower

Today I was back at the junkyard looking for other parts and visited the car the seats came from (93 940 Turbo Sedan).

The passenger seat had no connection for the green and black wire from the seat belt buckle. So that's comforting that it may be by default. Photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 6.38.35 PM.jpg (81.9 KB, 9 views)