Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Miles to empty tank" accuracy

Views : 4082

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:54   #1
Wonderboy

Default "Miles to empty tank" accuracy

Hi,

I'm a new member so hello everybody!

I was given a V50 loan car from my local dealers while my own V50 was being looked at and I noticed that the fuel looked pretty low. However, the 'miles to empty tank' read 50 miles which was more than enough to get me to work and back, so I thought! When I was about 3 miles from the dealers the computer still read 15 miles to go which was cutting it fine I know, but still 15 miles is a lot further than 0 miles which is what I actually had left...

I called the dealer to let them know I was seemingly out of petrol and as I was just down the road thought they might offer some assistance. Even if it was to call the RAC for me, but no, the service guy just said "what do you want me to do about it?".

I appreciate that normally it is pretty stupid and quite embarrassing to run out of petrol but on this occassion I feel the computer let me down. My V50 doesn't have a computer so I fill up whenever the light comes on or before.

Was this a fault with the computer or was just I silly to trust it?

Jamie
Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:58   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

It has been said in reference to other mpg calclations that the Volvo estimations are a bit generous.
From that you can read that the computer calculations are not to be relied upon for truely accurate displays.
These things are also affected by driving style, so I asssume the last person to drive the car was doing so knowing there was not much fuel left, which could affect the read-out..

Should have told the garage when they said "what do you want me to do about it?" : Ok.. I'll dump it here and you can deal with it.! I'd hurry up though as it's a bit of a rough area..

Maybe next time, go to the nearest garage and put in 2 litres - the minimum you can pump.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 13:31   #3
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Was this a fault with the computer or was just I silly to trust it?
Jamie
Without a doubt,.... it was the fault of computer. Why put a feature (which we have to pay for) that is not accurate is what I would love Volvo to answer? Taday we have cars on the road that has more computing power than a space shuttle (I think) so if this is the accuracy of all that computing power, I hate to be an astronaut.

"hey bill, it shows we can make another orbit and head back to earth with lots to spare.." ... yeah sure. If the guage is made by volvo, I better headback right now.

ps: I owned a different make car back in the 90's which had an onboard computer as standard. And the fuel readings were fairly accurate. I remember the to empty showing 0 miles and I still made it to a petrol station. I suspect it used the instantaneous reading to workout the balance and not average. The night before it showed 10 miles to go and in the morning it was down to 2miles left since its was drawing more gas when the car just started. Odd why Volvo can't seem to get such a simple thing right.
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 14:02   #4
Oli
VOC Member

So you were planning on taking the car back completley empty so that the next person to borrow the car would get nowhere? That was good of you.

I expect there's still a traditional fuel gague, the needle for which must have been resting on the bottom pin. You must me used to that been a good indicator of needing fuel.

I think you'll have to accept that one being your fault on account of trying to get a free ride.

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 14:06   #5
Wonderboy

Red face

Thanks for the replies,

I figured the computer should be reasonably accurate otherwise why bother with it! I have no previous experience of trip computers so didn't know if I was expecting too much of it.

I'm definately going to be writing to Volvo about this as I was stranded on a very busy A46* at rushhour with huge lorries bearing down on me and the service guy's reaction just astonished me. Good job I had my RAC card on me at the time otherwise I'd have had a long/dangerous walk to a garage.

* Near the 'Tollbar' island in 'Coventry':
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 14:13   #6
Wonderboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
So you were planning on taking the car back completley empty so that the next person to borrow the car would get nowhere? That was good of you.

I expect there's still a traditional fuel gague, the needle for which must have been resting on the bottom pin. You must me used to that been a good indicator of needing fuel.

I think you'll have to accept that one being your fault on account of trying to get a free ride.

Oli
There was a garage near the Dealers at which I would have put in what I'd used before dropping it back. Besides, its not like there was much in for me to use either. Why don't they fill the tank so its easy to replace what you've used and you don't have to hunt around for a garage as soon as you collect the car?
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 14:55   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

If they give out a car with a full tank, you can guarantee someone would take it and bring it back empty.

If you pick it up empty it makes you think about what you want to use it for and put in the amount of fuel you think you'll need.
You'll always put a little more in than you expect so the garage man gets enough to drive home and back for free too

If you only take the loan car to get to work and back why not use the dealer pick up and collect service whereby they take you and possibly a few others who work in the same area in one car ? That way you don't have to put petrol in the loan car and someone who may have geniune need of the car for the day, rather then have it sit in a company car park for eight hours, gets a loan car.

The computers calculates miles to empty, as previously posted, by using the instantaneous readings for the last x minutes. My S60 has a 6.9% error on average.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 15:05   #8
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
The computers calculates miles to empty, as previously posted, by using the instantaneous readings for the last x minutes. My S60 has a 6.9% error on average.
Thats exactly what my trip computers been calculated at...i also use the dealer pick-up and drop off service as it is much more conveniant...last 2 times i used a loan car i had to temporarily change my insurance details and both occasions the cars (V50's) did not have enough fuel to reach fuel stations...
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 15:10   #9
Wonderboy

My dealer wouldn't do collection and delivery as I work too far away, apparently. I agree it would be far easier though.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 15:34   #10
GMcL
0's and 1's

There's probably no incentive Wonderboy for your dealer to offer the pick up/drop off service as you pay for the hire car in the cost of your service (usually about £30 per day) plus the cost of your insurance as mentioned by S60-MBS.

If the dealer provides this service, he doesn't get his free ride to from work (through the free petrol) and he has a car stuck on his forecourt which would otherwise be earning him money.

In Germany (NRW), as well as the pick up/drop off service they also give you the option of a public transport ticket. If you get the car serviced in a city and you can get to work by public transport they give you (probably included in the cost of the service but it's buttons c.£2.50) a day pass.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote