Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 S40 Volvo Ignition Coil Coil B

Views : 832

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2018, 04:29   #1
Tom Sawyer

Default 2001 S40 Volvo Ignition Coil Coil B

Hi Guys,

My 01 S40 is still running after a ton of work by this newbie mechanic.
Now the care almost stalled the other day and this code showed:
P0352 Coil B

Questions:
** Is Coil B for Cylinder 4 ?
** Is Genuine Volvo really that important ?

Many thanks,

Tom
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 00:27   #2
Tom Sawyer

Default Coil B = Cylinder #4 - update

Bought a new / aftermarket coil pack @ $55 from Autozone, installed it and the engine seemed to run better / acceleration - smoother and faster ... no more codes for a few days. Then parked / idling on the side of the road for ten minutes the car sputtered, almost died and the P0352 + P 0130 codes came on again.

After than it ran fine for the rest of the day. Next day, cranked it up and NO CODES ! - the check engine light was not on. I think I am going to buy the ignition wire harness that goes from the VVT valve/solenoid to the two Coils and on to the other end by the firewall. $145 at FCPeuro and Genuine Volvo. A lot of the plastic casing around the wires is broken off... and the car is 18 years old.

I would love it if I could drive this car to my grave.

Stay tuned ... pardon the pun.

Comments anyone ?
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 20:53   #3
Naked Overlord

I've got two coils. One for plugs 1/4 and one for plugs 2/3. One coil started to fail a year ago. Drives fine but starts to run on two cylinders after being parked for 1/2 hour. Generally sorts itself out. Apparently early signs of failure show up when the coils are hot. As the coils are sited on top of the engine there is a build up of heat while being parked.

I diagnosed the faulty one by removing leads when the fault was there. I've recently started getting an irregular misfire in hot weather and slow traffic. I've decided to change the second coil as its similar age to the first failed one so likely to be failing.

First was about £9 off ebay and the second £10. Both new old stock, neither genuine Volvo.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 22:41   #4
Tom Sawyer

Hey Folks-

Last year my Volvo S-40 would sputter, almost stop running and generally not behave well. It was also giving me a P 0352 code = ignition coil B primary secondary circuit

Several Yanks I talked to locally said they thought it was a vacume leak.

Not true - turned out to be a faulty wire in the ignition wiring harness

Replaced the entire wiring harness and no more sputtering + Code 0352 has not come back since

Thanks for all your comments,

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Sawyer For This Useful Post: