Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance.

Views : 727

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2016, 09:45   #1
spyboy

Default Insurance.

The added bonus for me of changing my Audi to MY10 XC70 Polestar was that Allianz did not charge an extra premium for the Polestar and so my premium stayed at £345.
When I swapped MY10 XC70 for MY15 XC70 my friends at Allianz said that because of the extra safety features it would in fact be£14/year cheaper, so I stuck with Allianz.
Yesterday I got the email from them advising the renewal would be coming round in a month and the new premium would be £721!!! Some mistake I thought and engaged in the online advisor chat straight away with my new friend Ben. He basically said it was the way they assessed the risk and quoted a load of generic reasons increased repair rates, accident frequency etc and it was take it or leave it. I left it. My new friends seem to be a talking statue and seagull called Stephen who arranged everything for £372. The biggest thing was getting the seagull to understand what Polestar was, with several referrals to the manager (Statue?) before they said it would not attract any extra premium. Strangely Volvo's own insurance DOES load the premium for Polestar!
So my point is can anyone tell me why Allianz would change so radically, there have been no change in circumstances, an extra years no claim to rise to 10yr ncb, and the driver is a year older but well under 70yrs.
Also why do insurance companies not know what Polestar is?
spyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 10:27   #2
MercedesDriver
Love Earth - Drive Petrol

I had exactly the same experience with Allianz in February this year when insurance renewal was due for my Mercedes. The premium they offered was £1172 - nonnegotiable, and it was £430 for past two years. As with you, nothing changed with me as well except that I got 1 year older. I took my business from them and gave it to AXA for less than £400 premium.
Maybe Allianz is going to leave the UK market.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 19:05   #3
murphyslaw

Same for us too - we were with Allianz (Your Cover) and had been for a few years. Moved to Volvo Insurance this year after the Allianz renewal was 200% more expensive on the XC60 Polestar.
murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 21:16   #4
lepicane
2012 S80 D5 Executive

Can't comment on Polestar, but I've been with Octagon Insurance for four years now for my 2008 S80 D5 Lux. First year just over £300, second year renewal was cheaper, third year slightly more expensive, but when I called about it I got £20 loyalty discount. Same for year four. All in all I've been paying the same annual premiums for four years (fully comp, zero voluntary excess).

I've checked various comparison sites over the years and wasn't impressed by what is offered by cheaper quotes.
lepicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 23:34   #5
RM955I
Premier Member

It was (I thought) reasonably well publicised by the likes of Martin Lewis that insurance was facing a big hike across the board and he encouraged people to consider either getting a quote valid for 30 or 60 days if possible or even paying a cancellation fee, shopping around and renewing...that may be one factor in your price hike.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 23:46   #6
harveys
Master Member

It could just be they see the polestar tune as a mod and don't like the extra power as it ups the risk , as they say Power corrupts.

Anyway mine is due next month so I will see.
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 18:08   #7
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
Unfortunately insurers can change their rates, underwriting terms or general risk appetite drastically during a 12 month period. I appreciate it can be frustrating though.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 17:36   #8
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Generally speaking, I take it as the insurance company telling you that they do not want your business.
Generally, I listen to them and stop giving them my business.
Their loss.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 08:44   #9
Ant B

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Generally speaking, I take it as the insurance company telling you that they do not want your business.
Generally, I listen to them and stop giving them my business.
Their loss.
This, exactly!

Did the same myself a couple of years ago, now with Sheila's Wheels which is consistently the cheapest, for me...
Old Jul 7th, 2016, 19:44   #10
ajbayram

I see that Allianz are taking/have taken over Volvo Insurance. Could this be part of the reason.
ajbayram is offline   Reply With Quote