Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T6 281hp advice

Views : 2599

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:03   #11
Backpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
Its an Aisin warner unit. Its fine. Smooth enough, change the oil on it regularly and it should be fine.

There was a case of the box not being able to handle the torque but I believe the change to the six speeder from the 5speeder fixed that.

I have to ask, why a T6 and not a smaller petrol. Its a lot of performance for someone who admit-ably won't crack on in the car. My mate had one and it was superb, he loved his T6 but he drove quite progressively to say the least.
I like cars and driving and figure that dino juice is going to run out in my lifetime so whilst I still can I fancy a car with more than five cylinders.

The D5 is a lovely alternative to the horrible 4 cylinder engines seen pretty much everywhere these days... so a T6 is a step up. And, hey, why not? ;-)

Roger on the gear box.

I'm not huge so I'm guessing the seat shouldn't be too much of an issue. The car I'm looking at it is a good 200 miles away so won't be able to test drive, go home and think about it then return to buy. Ideally it'll be done in a day. Eek.
Backpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backpedal For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:04   #12
deanosabby

I have the pouches in my D3 xc70.

The seats are very comfy for me but this is my first Volvo so can't compare to the older models.

They are way better then the seats in my old Audi C6 S6 and they were recaro seats with proper bolsters.
deanosabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:06   #13
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpedal View Post
I like cars and driving and figure that dino juice is going to run out in my lifetime so whilst I still can I fancy a car with more than five cylinders.

The D5 is a lovely alternative to the horrible 4 cylinder engines seen pretty much everywhere these days... so a T6 is a step up. And, hey, why not? ;-)

Roger on the gear box.

I'm not huge so I'm guessing the seat shouldn't be too much of an issue. The car I'm looking at it is a good 200 miles away so won't be able to test drive, go home and think about it then return to buy. Ideally it'll be done in a day. Eek.
I suppose that is the logic I used to buy a 5 cylinder car, I wanted one with more than 4...LOL

It is a lovely car the T6. Just research the gearboxes, other than that I think the drive train is very solid.

I have a phase 3 S80 and its a lovely seat (compared to a W204 C class, and W211 E class)
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 15:27   #14
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpedal View Post
I'm a pretty sedate driver – cruise at 60 - 65 on motorway. Only really 'make progress' up to the speed limit. More than happy to chill. I was maybe hoping for 30 - 35 mpg on a run...?
Good luck with that. My D5 gets about that on a run, I can't imagine a T6 is anywhere near that, if I thought I could see 30MPG from a T6 I'd have bought one

I find the seats in my car excellent, best seats in any car I've ever had but I've never owned a P2 car though I've been in a few and find them very comfy. I came straight out of an S40 and C30 and also had a C70 so missed out the P2. I've put nearly 18k miles on my XC so far but I'm only little, 5'7'' just under 10 stone and I have a bad back. I find the seats spot on.

There's a lot less to go wrong with a T6 over a D5 tbf. Just beware the £490 annual rfl or tired ex police cars
Old May 31st, 2016, 16:56   #15
Backpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
Good luck with that. My D5 gets about that on a run, I can't imagine a T6 is anywhere near that, if I thought I could see 30MPG from a T6 I'd have bought one

I find the seats in my car excellent, best seats in any car I've ever had but I've never owned a P2 car though I've been in a few and find them very comfy. I came straight out of an S40 and C30 and also had a C70 so missed out the P2. I've put nearly 18k miles on my XC so far but I'm only little, 5'7'' just under 10 stone and I have a bad back. I find the seats spot on.

There's a lot less to go wrong with a T6 over a D5 tbf. Just beware the £490 annual rfl or tired ex police cars
That's interesting – I really have to push my D5 to get it down to low to mid 30s.

Normally sits at around 40mpg.
Old May 31st, 2016, 17:10   #16
tt82
Forum Support Team

Depends on the D5. The 163 D5 fitted in the P2's was quite economical. When Euro IV emissions laws were brought in, the D5 was tweaked in order to comply with them and whilst the 185 D5 gained more power, it suffered a massive loss in economy. IIRC for the Euro V emissions the D5 was completely redesigned and then we have the twin turbo setup which gave us the 205 D5 and the 215 D5, each gaining better economy and lower emissions. There were two different versions of the 215 D5, with the latter being a further improvement on economy and emissions.

Both Sasha and I have the 185 D5's and it can be hard work to get decent economy out of them.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 18:20   #17
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Both Sasha and I have the 185 D5's and it can be hard work to get decent economy out of them.
It's true but I don't worry about it, the way I see it is it's more economical than a full size 4x4 but just as capable for all the stuff I use it for. The last tank of diesel gave me 29.6 MPG though I must stress I'm not using it much, my partner has been using it and she's not the most economical driver ever!! I've been revelling in getting nearly 60MPG from her car

Mine is AWD though and Geartronic so it's the worst of the worst D5's for economy. A T6 will be even worse as they are all AWD as well. As an average figure for a T6 I'd imagine would be about 23-25MPG realistically. It's always been a truth that there's pretty much no difference between the petrol engines for MPG from the 2.5T, 3.2, T6 and the V8 in the S80. Each one only has a small gap in MPG between them, the T6 and V8 being a little worse than the rest as they are AWD.
Old May 31st, 2016, 18:38   #18
Backpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Depends on the D5. The 163 D5 fitted in the P2's was quite economical. When Euro IV emissions laws were brought in, the D5 was tweaked in order to comply with them and whilst the 185 D5 gained more power, it suffered a massive loss in economy. IIRC for the Euro V emissions the D5 was completely redesigned and then we have the twin turbo setup which gave us the 205 D5 and the 215 D5, each gaining better economy and lower emissions. There were two different versions of the 215 D5, with the latter being a further improvement on economy and emissions.

Mine is the 185 with a manual box... so maybe I've just got lucky with the car or drive like miss daisy (probably both!). I calculate the MPG using the brim to brim technique and it actually confirms the computer under reads MPG. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94
Mine is AWD though and Geartronic so it's the worst of the worst D5's for economy. A T6 will be even worse as they are all AWD as well. As an average figure for a T6 I'd imagine would be about 23-25MPG realistically. It's always been a truth that there's pretty much no difference between the petrol engines for MPG from the 2.5T, 3.2, T6 and the V8 in the S80. Each one only has a small gap in MPG between them, the T6 and V8 being a little worse than the rest as they are AWD.
Yeah, I'd not factored in the AWD element.

You guys are doing a fairly successful job of talking me out of a T6... man maths had me convinced that no DPF, more town driving and having the lightest right foot known man wouldn't mean ruinous running costs even after factoring in the £500/year VED!
Old May 31st, 2016, 19:03   #19
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I've never seen a Volvo DPF give fault tbh, a dry DPF that is like the D5. Also there's a very limited amount of petrol V70's to choose from and I have to be honest I've only seen 2 with a decent spec recently, one from a forum member actually and that was nice. A lot of the T6's I've seen for sale have a poor kit list and that would put me off more than the fuel bill. Part of me wishes I had waited a little while longer to buy my car and I might have got one with the spec I really wanted (really would have liked the family pack, ACC, climate seats, roof spoiler, the bigger wheels, pdc and electric bootlid over the spec on my car but I have all the basics covered) but I bought a nice car at a good price in the end. I see lots of T6's that don't have the electric drivers seat, winter pack etc so I'd be more bothered about that than anything tbh
Old May 31st, 2016, 19:39   #20
Backpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
I've never seen a Volvo DPF give fault tbh, a dry DPF that is like the D5. Also there's a very limited amount of petrol V70's to choose from and I have to be honest I've only seen 2 with a decent spec recently, one from a forum member actually and that was nice. A lot of the T6's I've seen for sale have a poor kit list and that would put me off more than the fuel bill. Part of me wishes I had waited a little while longer to buy my car and I might have got one with the spec I really wanted (really would have liked the family pack, ACC, climate seats, roof spoiler, the bigger wheels, pdc and electric bootlid over the spec on my car but I have all the basics covered) but I bought a nice car at a good price in the end. I see lots of T6's that don't have the electric drivers seat, winter pack etc so I'd be more bothered about that than anything tbh
Yeah, the DPF seems to be fairly reliable thus far. I've only felt it regen three times in 10,000 (odd) miles. When it does so, the MPG fluctuates from 28/29 back up to 50ish (like normal) for around 10 - 15 minutes/miles. Although at the minute all of my driving is on the motorway at steady speed. Perfect for a diesel car with DPF.

That's looking to change and I don't want to end up another 10,000 miles in with DPF issues/whatever when I could have sucked up the cost of a petrol for a while.

As for accessories/options, yeah I understand that. The one I've been looking at has nav, heated seats, electric driver's seat, electric boot and parking sensors. So not too badly equipped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backpedal For This Useful Post: