Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Satnav Latest Disk

Views : 695

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2016, 18:22   #1
ianxc70

Default Satnav Latest Disk

Hi

Have any of the subscribed satnav people received the 'last map' which the website describes as released in Jun 2016?

I'd like to get a feel about when it was mapped before I cough up for it (I got knocked back on the free upgrade). They say the 2015 map was done in Q3/2014 so I'm guessing the last upgrade will be Aug-ish last year.

There seem to be loads of the old ones on ebay, is there some form of encryption or is it a VIN keyed?

I've got the 'no symbol on the button' older version satnav on a 2014 XC70.

Thanks
ianxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 18:53   #2
TimS

Do you mean the 4 DVD version? If so, then they are VIN-keyed, however Volvo have released a S/W update to allow subsequently free updates via USB. My 2013 V70 is in tomorrow for the S/W update.

So if you have the same system as me, then for something like 50 quid, you can update from the DVD-loading system to the free USB-loading one.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 20:29   #3
ianxc70

Ah brilliant...thanks!

Sadly the (really helpful actually) dealer didn't know about this today, I would have jumped at it.

He did tell me there was a software upgrade in the service package which came as part of the £370 service but he said it was mainly tweaks.... I wonder if it was in there.

Talking software, I'm suprised that they don't do more with the dash display which I'm guessing is just a square LCD/LED under a cowl. I'd quite like some more colour and info options. The beige one is appalling stereotyping of volvo drivers, the red one was designed by someone aged 5 and the green one is just a bit too eco try-hard. It would have been nice to have one that just mimicked white on black dials, I had that on my last car and it always looked simple and smart.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 21:00   #4
TimS

Yes, the maps update seems to have caught many dealers unawares. The paid-for update will allow you to add new maps ('free until at least 2015') via USB yourself. My local dealer's doing the S/W update and installing the maps at the same time, although you can ask for just the S/W update, & do the maps in your own time. It's not part of a regular service, & you have to ask for it.

See http://support.volvocars.com/forum/t...es--price.aspx and http://support.volvocars.com/uk/down...91100fd07866e2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianxc70 View Post
Talking software, I'm suprised that they don't do more with the dash display which I'm guessing is just a square LCD/LED under a cowl.
Very true. I bought my V70 just at the crossover when they were switching from 'traditional' LCD to that system with the central tunnel-thing. Having test-driven a V40 with the newer console (the one I suspect you have), I felt the older one was better. I don't know why they changed it, other than to add some colour. It suited me because I could save a few quid & get the dash that, to me, is nicer.

Last edited by TimS; Jul 4th, 2016 at 21:03. Reason: Not part of regular service.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 22:34   #5
TimS

Mine was done today. Map scale now zooms into 1/32 of a mile, instead of the old 1/16. Radio lost all presets and the phone its bluetooth pairings. Doors were set to self-lock, which I'd turned off, however climate fan remembered it was on its low setting, rather than the default of medium.

Other than that, fine. Software version now 1111 with maps at V30.16.02.
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 10:54   #6
captainnemo70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Mine was done today. Map scale now zooms into 1/32 of a mile, instead of the old 1/16. Radio lost all presets and the phone its bluetooth pairings. Doors were set to self-lock, which I'd turned off, however climate fan remembered it was on its low setting, rather than the default of medium.

Other than that, fine. Software version now 1111 with maps at V30.16.02.
Hi Tim,

what did the dealer charge for this?, is it a set fee or dealer to dealer you think?

mine was last updated at new in 2012 when the car was new, the lease firm obvs never had it updated while they owned it.

cheers
captainnemo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 11:04   #7
TimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnemo70 View Post
Hi Tim,
what did the dealer charge for this?, is it a set fee or dealer to dealer you think?
cheers
I think it's up to the dealer, since several people on various threads have quoted different amounts. The full price I was quoted (Donald's, Ipswich) was £75.54 however they gave me a discount off that because they weren't aware of this update until I brought it to their attention. I'd decided that this isn't a bad price, since a single set of DVDs & key is something like £170 (Vin-locked), & from now on, I can update the maps myself via USB.

It's not part of a standard service, and you'd have to ask for it. Some dealers seem to still be unaware, & may tell you it's not available.

PS - I've also had to re-assign the 'Fav' button, since it's forgotton its settings for the various screens.

Last edited by TimS; Jul 6th, 2016 at 11:15. Reason: clarify discount
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 16:02   #8
ianxc70

Thanks from my dealer too now Tim
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 22:44   #9
TimS

Just to correct my earlier post. I had the version wrong. After the update, it's S/W 1100 and maps 30.16.04.