Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1995 960 misfire 3ltr

Views : 995

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 12:44   #1
krismorgan

Default 1995 960 misfire 3ltr

Hi guys/gals.
Recently had a low rpm misfire,changed plugs,coilpacks-even changed the inlet gasket(common fault i read) to no avail.So as i was really annoyed i went for an italian tune and got home to a trail of baffle material hanging out of the tailpipe.Pulled as much out as possible(prev owner had put spurious mid and end exhaust on).Obviously a blockage in there.
My question is would the collapsing baffles cause the misfire?
I did buy an obd2 reader but it will not work(boots up fine on my sons punto).
cheers
krismorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 13:33   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismorgan View Post
Hi guys/gals.
Recently had a low rpm misfire,changed plugs,coilpacks-even changed the inlet gasket(common fault i read) to no avail.So as i was really annoyed i went for an italian tune and got home to a trail of baffle material hanging out of the tailpipe.Pulled as much out as possible(prev owner had put spurious mid and end exhaust on).Obviously a blockage in there.
My question is would the collapsing baffles cause the misfire?
I did buy an obd2 reader but it will not work(boots up fine on my sons punto).
cheers
These aren't OBD2 you need a code reader specific for these cars, I know LokiGLT makes them for the 940 but don't know if the 960 will be the same.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 13:39   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

Not sure on the 3ltr, but I do know it uses a 2x3 channel ignition amp, these do faulty on occassion. I'm using 1 on my wasted spark redblock.

Is there any temperature or time characteristic? Does the rev counter seem steady?

Do you have spark checkers? Would be good to see if its a specific bank or cylinder.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 13:46   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
These aren't OBD2 you need a code reader specific for these cars, I know LokiGLT makes them for the 940 but don't know if the 960 will be the same.

The later 960s are OBDII, thats how they sold them in the US after 96. The 940 wasn't upgraded and Volvo either didn't understand what was happening or failed to accomplish it on the LH2.4 even after fitting the OBDII socket in 96 on 940s as they were not sold in the US after 95 when ODBII became mandatory.

Perhaps early pre96 960s are also not ODBII compliant?
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 14:51   #5
krismorgan

rev counter is fine and working ok.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 17:52   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The blocked exhaust will cause problems. Also try adding 0.5L of synthetic ATF to the engine oil to free of sticky hydraulic lifters, a common cause of misfires on cars so fitted.

You will need to reset the fault codes, OBD won't work on a 1995 car as it's not OBD, despite appearances.

On a 940 you can reset the codes by pulling fuse #1 for 30 seconds or so, not sure on the 960 though as they have a different fusebox i think.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 20:14   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

My '95 960 has two "boxes" in the engine bay-passenger side near to bulkhead/scuttle-which as I understand it flashes out codes?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 23:51   #8
krismorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
My '95 960 has two "boxes" in the engine bay-passenger side near to bulkhead/scuttle-which as I understand it flashes out codes?
mine is the 95 model but is the s90 shape,my older 960 had the 2 boxes,this has an obd reader socket in the center console.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 23:52   #9
krismorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The blocked exhaust will cause problems. Also try adding 0.5L of synthetic ATF to the engine oil to free of sticky hydraulic lifters, a common cause of misfires on cars so fitted.

You will need to reset the fault codes, OBD won't work on a 1995 car as it's not OBD, despite appearances.

On a 940 you can reset the codes by pulling fuse #1 for 30 seconds or so, not sure on the 960 though as they have a different fusebox i think.
I am pulling the back box off tomo to check,and i will add the atf too,nice heads up,thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to krismorgan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 12:27   #10
krismorgan

Great news,i did the atf trick and pulled rear box off(clogged up),cut a square flap in the top and it had rotted inside totally,cleaned it out and welded the flap up(it will do till next mot).
Fired straight up and back to smooth tickover and how it was before
As for the obd2 i checked fusebox and the fuse for alarm/diagnostics was missing-put in a fuse and all hazards came on(prev owner said alarm was disconnected) but also the obd reader booted up,no codes woohoo.

Many thanks all for the help and advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to krismorgan For This Useful Post:

Tags
960, misfire, obd2