Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car runs bad after timing belt exchange

Views : 566

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 20:00   #1
Tjeoo

Thumbs down Car runs bad after timing belt exchange

Hey guys!

Bad news I took my v40 1.8 2003 volvo to a mechanic a week ago, to get the timingbelt, water pump and vvt wheel exchanged. They did the job, allthough they managed to lift on the oil pan, and crack it...

Anyway, the car runs kinda poor now, its not acceleration like before, and when you go up a hill, its really hard to keep the km/h up??

When i floor the pedal, nothing really happens, its really slow, the only real noticiable acceleration is happingen after 4000 rpm...

It was not like this before the mechanic "fixed" it.

What could be wrong?

I have read that i could be the timing, or the distributor.. mabye they didnt set the vvt wheel correctly? They are taking it in again tomorrow, hoping they will pay for the failure, and not just blame something else like the air filter, wich i have checked..
Tjeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 20:10   #2
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Take it back and ask him to fix it if he broke it?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 20:45   #3
magnuz
Ancient

It will most likely be the cam timing is out ?
It is absolutely essential to lock the cams to fit the VVT sprocket, as the cam will turn when the fixing bolt is undone & retightened on fitting the new one, the sprocket is also not located by key, & will fit in any position.
Also make sure they do a proper job of the cracked sump/oil pan, as it is an aluminium alloy sump, so should either be replaced or TIG welded to a very good standard, & not bodged with some sort of epoxy glue / filler or something similar, or it may leak eventually!
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 00:07   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Yeap, most probably they fitted the vvt pulley at the wrong position and the timing is out. Take it back and ask the to get it sorted

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 06:52   #5
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjeoo View Post
Hey guys!

Bad news I took my v40 1.8 2003 volvo to a mechanic a week ago, to get the timingbelt, water pump and vvt wheel exchanged. They did the job, allthough they managed to lift on the oil pan, and crack it...

Anyway, the car runs kinda poor now, its not acceleration like before, and when you go up a hill, its really hard to keep the km/h up??

When i floor the pedal, nothing really happens, its really slow, the only real noticiable acceleration is happingen after 4000 rpm...

It was not like this before the mechanic "fixed" it.

What could be wrong?

I have read that i could be the timing, or the distributor.. mabye they didnt set the vvt wheel correctly? They are taking it in again tomorrow, hoping they will pay for the failure, and not just blame something else like the air filter, wich i have checked..

The VVT-sprocket is out of timing.
Is this a Volvo repair shop? Did they use the Volvo cam and crank locking tools?
If not a Volvo shop they most likely do not have the locking tools, and then it's easy to mess up the timing.
So they cracked the oil pan? That tells me this is a sloppy bunch of mechanics. They supported the engine by jacking it up without using a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan.

Last edited by emtor; Jul 17th, 2018 at 06:56.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtor For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 09:38   #6
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

They cracked the sump pan and bodged the job.

Find a better garage and get them to correct the timing and send the bill to the bodge garage. The bodge garage should also fit a new sump pan but would you trust them to do that without doing more damage?
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 12:35   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Only way I can think off that they cracked the sump, is when they used some sort of jack to support the engine when removing the engine mount. You are always suppose to use a piece of wood or some sort of thick rubber between the jack and the sump. If not and if they were clumsy, then I wouldn't be surprised how it got cracked......

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 13:11   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

and given the cracked sump, getting the timing wrong fitting the vvt pulley , yeps

your call if to go back to them to get it fixed,,at Zero cost to you , they messed up they can fix it, or get them to agree to pay the bill for a Proper garage to fix their bodge/errors/mistakes

welded sump = no , you broke it You replace it with gen part as its a gen part on there,, and make them lift the car to Show you they replaced it , not bodged it with sealer
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: